homemade SNAP concept

15 replies to this topic

#1 Andrewraps

Andrewraps

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • State:Massachusetts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 01:44 AM

This is my first completely homemade nerf gun.
(I used a front grip from a raider, but that was merely because it is far more comfortable).
Here it is. Please tell me what you think.
The AR could stand for assault rifle but I painted it because they are my initials.

Check out the videos for a better look.

IMG_1473_zps1f6578de.jpg

This is the materials I believe that I used.

The barrel is 1/2 pvc with sanded 1/2 cpvc for the breech so it would slide.
This attaches to the 1/2 pvc coupler(Screw on the other side) which screws into a adapter of some sort. The front is a screw for the 1/2 pvc coupler.
the back is a 3/4 pvc coupling. Sorry I don't know the terminology. Then I hammered that back end into a 1 inch pvc coupler (I believe) and they fit tight. Then the 1 inch coupler was hammered into the 1.5 inch pvc tube. on the back was an adapter that was for 1 inch pvc and the screw on the other side was cut off leaving just the hole for the pullback 1/2 cpvc tube.

IMG_1475_zps50d91168.jpg

IMG_1479_zps116a8b41.jpg

Angled Breech. Makes it easier to slide in stefans.(Not sure but I assume this has been done before. I like it.)

IMG_1466_zps994d6ba0.jpg

IMG_1465_zps697dcf62.jpg

IMG_1478_zpsda3148db.jpg

There is a long screw to hold the front sight, but also to block the bullet from being sucked accidentally into the chamber.(Dart stop)

IMG_1476_zps2647e4fe.jpg

IMG_1463_zps13992569.jpg

IMG_1463_zps13992569.jpg

IMG_1464_zpsa8f515cf.jpg

IMG_1477_zps9300cc03.jpg

IMG_1461_zps5ff8ed36.jpg

This is the plunger and the catch.
The plunger head wasn't finished at this point. I ended up making 3 grooves for three O rings. Sprayed with Silicone spray. 1 inch PVC cap fit snug in the 1.5 inch PVC plunger tube. It is screwed to a 1/2 cpvc end cap and that cap is epoxied to the pullback tube. Catch made from 1/2 inch PVC over the 1/2 cpvc and a part of a 1/2 pvc coupler epoxied on the 1/2 PVC. The angle on the down part pushes the catch bolt down when primed. Happily surprised to see this work perfectly.

The 3 springs used are thinner so that they just fit around the 1/2 cpvc pullback mechanism. They needed to be so they dont catch on the trigger catch bolt.

IMG_1458_zps11be55f8.jpg

The trigger catch.

IMG_1444_zpsc8a013a3.jpg

IMG_1442_zps9f0063df.jpg

Painted with plastic spray paint. I made a second barrel, slightly shorter where you can just feed the dart in the front and pullback to suck the dart to the dart stop and then fire. The sight is from a broken airsoft red dot sight and the front piece is something I found around the house. I believe that is everything.

Ranges:
Flat: 75-125 ft
Angled: 100-175 ft

Please watch the videos. They show more about how it works. Fires very well. Not my fastest by far, but it is accurate and reloads easily.

Videos:
http://s1330.photobu...e3ecea.mp4.html
http://s1330.photobu...b33e75.mp4.html
http://s1330.photobu...6a9826.mp4.html

Comments would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by Aeromech, 23 November 2015 - 03:09 AM.

#2 MAV13

MAV13

• Members
  • 125 posts
  • State:Maryland

Posted 07 September 2013 - 06:51 AM

I like the trigger, but where's the plunger head?

#3 Daniel Beaver

Daniel Beaver

HQRSE CQCK

• Moderators
  • 2,064 posts
  • NerfHaven Subscription Supporter
  • State:Minnesota

Posted 07 September 2013 - 07:57 AM

Interesting trigger design, I'll have to try that.

How are you making the plunger head? It's not clear to me what you're using.

You'll want to expand this writeup if you want to be competitive in the homemade writeup context, right now it's pretty scanty on details. Lots of time yet to do that.

Edited by Daniel Beaver, 07 September 2013 - 07:58 AM.

#4 Azrael0987

Azrael0987

formerly ijackofftomen. Different dude from Azrael.

• Members
  • 135 posts
  • State:Missouri

Posted 07 September 2013 - 09:18 AM

I believe he's using a o-ring seal for the plunger head. There was the little groove where it could sit.

#5 Jaynerf176

Jaynerf176

• Members
  • 55 posts
  • State:New York

Posted 07 September 2013 - 12:49 PM

Very nice job! It would be helpful though to list all the supplies, tools and parts for this.
I do reviews and mod guides, check them out here: https://www.youtube....jtOQo09ejo7bHnQ

#6 17bran40

17bran40

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 02:25 PM

That looks really nice, and interesting trigger.
What are the ranges for that?

#7 Duke Wintermaul

Duke Wintermaul

• Members
  • 516 posts
  • State:Ohio

Posted 07 September 2013 - 09:10 PM

Who else was disappointed this wasn't a homemade air restrictor?

I was excited, we spend the majority of our time destroying air restrictors and i was looking forward to a writeup and actually involved building one.

#8 Jeo

Jeo

Red Team: HooRah!

• Members
  • 93 posts
  • State:Australian Capital Territory

Posted 09 September 2013 - 05:39 AM

Who else was disappointed this wasn't a homemade air restrictor?

I was excited, we spend the majority of our time destroying air restrictors and i was looking forward to a writeup and actually involved building one.

My thoughts exactly!

#9 PBZ

PBZ

Cap'n Whitebeard

• Members
  • 140 posts
  • State:Pennsylvania

Posted 10 September 2013 - 01:05 PM

I have a question on your trigger- I finally figured out how it works (you might want to add a sentence or two for clarification in the write up for new folks) but unless you are magic (are you?) how did you get the screws into the holes from the inside of the tube? are there holes in the top that dont show up in the photos?

I also think its great the way you got several known sizes of pvc to fit together and then sanded them to on the back side to make the catch- are those wear marks in the photo? how is it holding up? my initial thought are that it would hold up pretty well with the rounded machine screw for a catch bolt?

Edited by PBZ, 10 September 2013 - 01:08 PM.

"There's nothing quite like hunting children." -VACC

#10 Bbdude

Bbdude

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 06:27 PM

Anyone know where to get the Corner Bracket that has the centered holes? The only ones I have been able to find have the holes offset slightly, not a big deal but I am OCD so I am looking for the centered ones. ^_^

#11 Naturalman7

Naturalman7

• Contributors
  • 158 posts
  • State:Idaho

Posted 10 September 2013 - 11:20 PM

Anyone know where to get the Corner Bracket that has the centered holes? The only ones I have been able to find have the holes offset slightly, not a big deal but I am OCD so I am looking for the centered ones. ^_^

Totally depends on what your local stores stock.

My local Lowe's only has 1/2-in x 5/8-in Zinc Corner Brace in the closest size to what I think most people use for angle bracket triggers. However, they also have smaller 1-in x 1/2-in Zinc Brace Corner Brace.

I would love to find a 1 1/2-in x 1/2-in one.

Edited by Naturalman7, 10 September 2013 - 11:21 PM.

#12 Andrewraps

Andrewraps

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • State:Massachusetts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 03:14 PM

I have a question on your trigger- I finally figured out how it works (you might want to add a sentence or two for clarification in the write up for new folks) but unless you are magic (are you?) how did you get the screws into the holes from the inside of the tube? are there holes in the top that dont show up in the photos?

I also think its great the way you got several known sizes of pvc to fit together and then sanded them to on the back side to make the catch- are those wear marks in the photo? how is it holding up? my initial thought are that it would hold up pretty well with the rounded machine screw for a catch bolt?

I made it about three weeks ago and it still locks and shoots perfectly. I was afraid the trigger would be hard to pull, but it feels just like any other trigger. Before I put the front or back onto the plunger tube I fed the screws into the hole (from the back) and then added the trigger, springs and the nuts. Then I basically built everything else around it. That's why I have the picture of the screws in the tube without the rest of the parts attached yet. I don't think they could be wear marks because that picture was taken before it was used. I think it wasn't a regular coupler I fit on top of the 1/2 pvc and it had those ridges. Thanks for asking.

#13 PBZ

PBZ

Cap'n Whitebeard

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 09:08 PM

I made it about three weeks ago and it still locks and shoots perfectly. I was afraid the trigger would be hard to pull, but it feels just like any other trigger. Before I put the front or back onto the plunger tube I fed the screws into the hole (from the back) and then added the trigger, springs and the nuts. Then I basically built everything else around it. That's why I have the picture of the screws in the tube without the rest of the parts attached yet. I don't think they could be wear marks because that picture was taken before it was used. I think it wasn't a regular coupler I fit on top of the 1/2 pvc and it had those ridges. Thanks for asking.

Cool, glad to know it doesnt wear easily, and the trigger pull isnt any different. Im still a little confused on the trigger screws, but i think i understand- you layed them in the pipe and tilted it so they slid down the pipe and into the hole? or did you use something to reach them down the pipe? the one has a spring on the inside of the pipe, which is whats confusing me. EDIT: thats not a spring, those are threads. Got it!
well thanks for answering! I think this is one of the best trigger designs of this kind! better then the snap, since it doesnt wear with a sharp nail, and the catch is much easier!

Edited by PBZ, 15 September 2013 - 09:11 PM.

#14 quertyman

quertyman

• Members
  • 188 posts
  • State:Arizona

Posted 15 September 2013 - 09:22 PM

Why not just put the catch screw through the bottom like you would traditionally? you could even sand it to a nice dome to make it not wear and it would be way easier to assemble.
I have identified the problem: "maverick" -Daniel Beaver

#15 PBZ

PBZ

Cap'n Whitebeard

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 03 November 2013 - 10:22 AM

Why not just put the catch screw through the bottom like you would traditionally? you could even sand it to a nice dome to make it not wear and it would be way easier to assemble.

That would require a lot of time on a grinder (which most people dont have) or with a dremel (same story) or a lifetime or two with sandpaper. This way, you have a premade rounded head and sides. You would also have to sand all of the threads off.
This design has less tedious work (sanding/dremeling/grinding) and more of the quickly-putting-together-of-parts work.

Ok, now for a super serious question- HOW THE HELL did you get your plunger head past your trigger bolt heads??? You already have the front of the blaster assembled, so you didn't put it in from the front. Def some magic going on here.

Edited by PBZ, 03 November 2013 - 09:03 PM.

#16 Langley

Langley

LGLF - Since 2002

• Administrators
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 11:45 PM

Interesting trigger design, I'll have to try that.

How are you making the plunger head? It's not clear to me what you're using.

You'll want to expand this writeup if you want to be competitive in the homemade writeup context, right now it's pretty scanty on details. Lots of time yet to do that.

Not sure if your'e still around, but like Beaver said, this write-up needs to provide clear step-by-step instructions to be a valid entry in the contest. Until it gets an update in that direction, I'm going to say it's not a valid entry at this time.

You can poop in my toilet anytime champ.

2016 Nerf War Schedule
Bless you, my son. Now recite 3 New Members Guides and 5 Code of Conducts for your sins.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: homemade, SNAP, concept

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users