What I've compiled right now is only the beginning. I am sure I missed many dart weights and have some inaccurate figures below. Please post the mass of darts you have put on a scale before. Post the mass of the full dart, with information about each of the components if you have it. For example, a particular dart might weigh 1.35 grams, with 0.8 grams of metal weight, 0.1 grams of glue, 0.05 grams of front pad, and 0.40 grams of foam (2 inches of foam, 2.125 inches total length). If you weighed a bunch of them and know the standard deviation, that'd be useful too. Smaller standard deviations are better because consistency helps with accuracy.
Pro-tip: Don't have a scale that can measure tenths of a gram? Take a scale with less precision and put a bunch of darts on it. Divide the mass by the number of darts to get an average mass. So if your scale only has precision to the gram, put 10 darts on there and now it has precision to the tenth of a gram.
- Slug darts, #6 washers: ~1.0 g (0.6 g + 0.4 g)
- Slug darts, #8 washers: 1.2 g, 1.02 g
- Eraser head darts: 1.1 to 1.2 g
- 1/4" slingshot dome darts: 1.2 to 1.3 g
- Single copper BB darts: 0.71 g
- #7 fishing weight (tin) dome darts: 1.8 g
- 5/0 fishing weight dome darts (?)
- 3/0 fishing weight dome darts: mean = 1.385 g, sigma =0.044 g
- AMIORS: 0.7 to 1.0 g
- Silicone tip darts: 1.2 g
- Rubber tip darts (different varieties): 1.1 to 1.5 g, 0.7 to 1.1 g, the majority are 0.8 g, 1.02 to 1.18 g, 1.2 g
- VANS: 0.8 g +-.1 g @ 2 sigma
- Nerf streamlines: 1.34 g, 1.4 g, 1.34 g, 1.3 g
- Nerf Elite streamlines: 0.99 g, 1.1 g, 1.0 g
- Nerf whistler darts: 1.5 g
- Nerf suction cup darts: 1.75 g (orange), 1.27 g (red)
- Nerf tagger darts: 1.37 g
- Gumdrop darts: 0.57 g
- Putty wrap darts: 1.0 to 2.0 g
- inform3r's silicone tipped darts: 1.31 g (tip alone), 1.6 to 1.7 g
- Matchstick tip darts (?)
- Random other stefans with poor descriptions: 1.98 g, 1.2 g, 2.0 g, 3 g, 2.4 g
As a footnote, I was surprised by the wide variety of different dart types, and I may have mis-categorized a few types. Feel free to correct me in the comments if I've screwed up.
Edit: It might be worth mentioning that stefans in the past used to be longer, and this changes the mass a bit. Here's a poll from 2004 about dart length that you can compare to a poll from 2008. Reasons I can think of for this include the introduction of hoppers and a desire to save foam.
Edited by Doom, 18 May 2013 - 10:35 AM.