through bolt cocking handle removal

request for help

7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Safety Smurf_*

Guest_Safety Smurf_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 December 2012 - 06:11 PM

I have a number of nerf guns that I intend to modify, some of which have the through bolt cocking handle (such as the longstrike, longshot, stampede, havoc, etc). I have tried to remove the cocking handle but am nervous about damaging the guns. Does anyone know of a non-destructive technique?

#2 BlackBoarderV

BlackBoarderV

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 06:30 PM

A flat head screwdriver or the nail removing part of a hammer works. Just take it nice and slow and gently pry upwards underneath the handle. If you are worried about damaging the shell, just place some craft foam etc underneath where you plan to pry.

You don't need to worry about damaging any internal parts as long as you don't bend the rod in a stupid fashion.
Hope this will help.
//BBV
Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon, Wish you were Here, Meddle.
Led Zeppelin 4, Physical Graffiti.

#3 Griever 2112

Griever 2112

• Members
  • 439 posts
  • State:New Jersey

Posted 31 December 2012 - 06:50 PM

BBV is right. But the easier of the two is the claw hammer. Its how I did all the bolts on mine. Just slip the claw underneath the one that locks, not the one with the rod, tease underneath, and slowly apply force, it will be a quick pop. But, in my experience, one you pop it once, you can do it with ease from there on.

Griever 2112 still plays with his alpha trooper quite often despite owning one of the scariest +bows.

My Youtube Page

#4 Mully

Mully

• Members
  • 342 posts
  • State:California

Posted 31 December 2012 - 08:43 PM

It's as easy as that, hammer, large flat head screwdriver, etc.
Any kind of wedge would work.
Anyway, I'm pretty sure this has been discussed already.
Here is an excellent tool to use.
Welcome to nerfhaven,

Mully
S.C.U.N.

#5 hamoidar

hamoidar

• Members
  • 367 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 09:11 PM

Once you have removed the handle once, you may have a problem with it falling off at inopportune times. Here is a quick fix: Priming handle fix
NerfHaven > Your control panel > Profile > Change Signature > Inserts dumb sig > What! No pictures! > Inserts next best thing: http://nerfhaven.com...howuser=114052' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>Best thing on Nerfhaven!

#6 Tangerle

Tangerle

• Members
  • 95 posts
  • State:Pennsylvania

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:41 PM

It's as easy as that, hammer, large flat head screwdriver, etc.
Any kind of wedge would work.
Anyway, I'm pretty sure this has been discussed already.
Here is an excellent tool to use.
Welcome to nerfhaven,

Mully

Mully you joined in July. People here have been here for years. Getting a welcome from a quite new person (that's why I don't do it)and it would be kind of weird if for me I was a new person.

Moderator edit:
Mully may welcome whoever he wants

Edited by Daniel Beaver, 02 January 2013 - 08:23 PM.

Gino

#7 Griever 2112

Griever 2112

• Members
  • 439 posts
  • State:New Jersey

Posted 02 January 2013 - 06:42 PM

In all fairness... If a mod said that to him, fine. But dude, you got three days on him, who are you to say anything... And at least Mully makes an attempt to participate rather than ghost the site. Personally I think welcoming the FNG's that post something well their first go around is a nice jesture over those idiots who necro 4 year old threads.

Griever 2112 still plays with his alpha trooper quite often despite owning one of the scariest +bows.

My Youtube Page

#8 Guest_Safety Smurf_*

Guest_Safety Smurf_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:57 PM

Thanks for the tips, I'll try it on the longstrike first. No great shakes if I damage that one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users