Nerf Stampede - Safety Removal

5 replies to this topic

#1 Jeo

Jeo

Red Team: HooRah!

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 07:20 AM

What does a safety removal do exactly? Well, it means you'll be able to fire the blaster without the clip in place or the jam door closed. Why would we want to do that? Honestly, most people don't. The safeties are useful in that you can't accidentally dry fire the blaster, and you can't get your finger stuck in the breech by firing with the door open and your fingers where they shouldn't be. The problem lies in that if you don't have the clip completely 100% aligned, the blaster won't fire. Same deal if the jam door is even slightly askew. Having the blaster not fire when you're expecting it to is the kind of thing that can cause you serious problems mid-game. I understand the extra risks involved here but I'm a big boy; I know not to stick my fingers and the breech and pull the trigger and I know not to dry fire. I'm willing to accept those added concerns to loose the potential of one of the safeties going rouge and having the blaster not working in the split second where I really need it to. Assuming you feel the same way, please, read on.

Tools/Materials required...

Phillips head screwdriver
Pliers
Soldering iron + solder

As always, we'll kick off with the blaster in question.

Posted Image

Remove the battery tray, then what seems like an endless supply of screws holding the shell together.

Posted Image

Take a good look at the internals, understand how they work.

Posted Image

You can see here one of the micro-switches that acts as a safety here. This one in particular is one of the three that checks to see if there's a clip in the blaster.

Posted Image

There's another one on the opposite side of the clip well.

Posted Image

And the third hides under the first one we looked at.

Posted Image

You can't really see this one, but there's another micro-switch under here that checks to see if the jam door is closed.

Posted Image

I hadn't mentioned this above but I also decided to remove the power switch on this blaster too. Again, I didn't want to accidentally knock it mid-game and turn the blaster off.

Posted Image

Simply cut the wires to the switch.

Posted Image

Ok, time to starts on the micro-switches!

Posted Image

First up, remove the two screws holding this bar immediately above the micro-switch here.

Posted Image

Allowing us to then remove said bar.

Posted Image

The remove the two screws holding the switch itself in.

Posted Image

Cut the wires to it so you can move it to one side, then remove the three screws holding the now exposed clip release catch. Then remove said catch. The clip release button will fall off at this stage, don't lose it.

Posted Image

Next, remove the two screws holding the next micro-switch in.

Posted Image

Then remove the switch itself.

Posted Image

Replace the clip release button and catch.

Posted Image

Now move to the left side of the clip well and remove the front part of the breech.

Posted Image

Like so.

Posted Image

We can now see the jam door micro-switch hiding under here.

Posted Image

#2 Jeo

Jeo

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 07:22 AM

Remove the two screws holding this cover plate in.

Posted Image

And the cover plate itself. We now have access to the wires for the safeties.

Posted Image

Two screws, micro-switch, yada yada yada.

Posted Image

Push it to one side, then remove the screw holding the dart tooth in.

Posted Image

The remove the dart tooth and the two screws visible here.

Posted Image

With the screws removed you can pry this piece up just enough to remove the jam door switch. At this stage we'll also need to pull both switches and their associated wiring over to the other side of the clip well.

Posted Image

Replace the dart tooth.

Posted Image

Then the cover plate.

Posted Image

Then the front part of the breech.

Posted Image

We should now have a nice series of four micro-switches no longer in the blaster. Trace the wire back to the trigger switch.

Posted Image

It should be the one shown here on the left.

Posted Image

Cut it with enough length to reach the on/off switch wiring we cut earlier.

Posted Image

Strip some of the shielding back.

Posted Image

Twist together.

Posted Image

Then solder. (also tape but no pictures of said tape /sadface)

Posted Image

Put the shell back together and we're done! You now have one unsafe blaster... teehee...

Posted Image

#3 Paddyb98

Paddyb98

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 04:52 PM

This was actually a really nice guide. Thanks for adding to my workload, ya jerk. Just Kidding.
Dammit Jim!

#4 ChIck3n

ChIck3n

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 09:13 PM

Any reason you took the on/off safety switch out? The pressure locks I understand (and have removed all but one clip lock in mine), but with the stampede sometimes developing runaway issues I would be hesitant to take the switch out. You would need to remove the batteries to cut the power in this case, which would also be bad mid game! If reliability of the switch is your concern, you could always replace it with a better switch.

#5 Jeo

Jeo

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 11:11 PM

I didn't think too much about to be honest. Having no wires on the other side of the shell makes maintenance easier and I haven't had bump firing occur with anything other than an 'in pieces' blaster. Could well be a problem if it happened mid game for you though.

#6 Griever 2112

Griever 2112

• Members
  • 439 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 08:08 AM

Any reason you took the on/off safety switch out? The pressure locks I understand (and have removed all but one clip lock in mine), but with the stampede sometimes developing runaway issues I would be hesitant to take the switch out. You would need to remove the batteries to cut the power in this case, which would also be bad mid game! If reliability of the switch is your concern, you could always replace it with a better switch.

Bobo brought this up in a recent video he did... kinda for the same reason as Jeo mentioned to keep all the wiring in on one side... leave in the Jam Door safety, this way if you get a runaway or need to kill the power, pop the jam door open.

Griever 2112 still plays with his alpha trooper quite often despite owning one of the scariest +bows.

My Youtube Page

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users