Dartsmithing Tips Archive

slug and ryan's guides now have their own threads in Ds and Bs

603 replies to this topic

#426 supercellghost

supercellghost

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 06:20 PM

I was looking for some foam that would work great in a springer and fit in Modman PETG. Does anyone have any suggestions?

#427 SchizophrenicMC

SchizophrenicMC

• Members
  • 390 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 11:38 PM

I was looking for some foam that would work great in a springer and fit in Modman PETG. Does anyone have any suggestions?

5/8 or 1/2 inch FBR, like the rest of us use?
QUOTE(NerfUK @ May 8 2009, 11:54 AM) View Post

(I forgot to take a picture of my own poppers)

QUOTE(analogkid @ May 20 2009, 10:04 PM) View Post

Every size rod you could ever want.

#428 supercellghost

supercellghost

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 09:29 AM

Yes I know that, I was looking for a brand of foam.

#429 Salmon

Salmon

• Members
  • 447 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 10:18 AM

Yes I know that, I was looking for a brand of foam.

Well, assuming that Mod Man PETG is more or less the same as OMC's PETG (which I am 90 percent sure it is), the black foam from Best Materials should work very well for a springer. For an air gun, you should use 9/16 or 19/32 brass with Best Materials foam.

Edited by Salmon, 22 February 2009 - 10:19 AM.

Welcome to I-dont-care-isburg, population: me.
We're located in I-Don't-Give-a-Damn County, in scenic Shut-the-Hell-Up-achussets.
Maybe you're familiar with our annual charity drive where we ask for shit, and no one gives any.

#430 SchizophrenicMC

SchizophrenicMC

• Members
  • 390 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 03:17 PM

I think I'm using 3M... I'm not sure because I threw away the wrapper, but I believe it is.
QUOTE(NerfUK @ May 8 2009, 11:54 AM) View Post

(I forgot to take a picture of my own poppers)

QUOTE(analogkid @ May 20 2009, 10:04 PM) View Post

Every size rod you could ever want.

#431 Icespartan 1114

Icespartan 1114

Do NOT buy/sell with me

• DO NOT TRADE
  • 934 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 05:30 PM

Well I just went to Ace and I found these while I was there.
Posted Image

There mini hotglue domes. They are perfect for making darts. When I use them I just do everything as usual burn a hole, add hot glue then drop weight. Then I put one of these bad boys on there and it make a perfect dome. They fly straight and far which is obviously good.

Here is a picture of a dart I made with one. Is it sorta hard to see though.

Posted Image

Edited by Icespartan_1114, 23 March 2009 - 05:32 PM.

QUOTE(Zaxbys @ Mar 2 2009, 02:08 PM) View Post
I won't be there til about 1-2...

Church... gotta soak up that Jesus!

NERFSTRONG #51

#432 MOD FREAK

MOD FREAK

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 05:40 PM

Could You Post The Packaging?

Also..How much Were They? How many Did It Come With?
QUOTE(Boss18 @ Mar 27 2009, 02:51 PM) View Post

You stabbed your ding dong with an X-acto knife?

#433 Draconis

Draconis

I am not Lord Draconical

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 24 March 2009 - 12:43 AM

Those are usually used as feet for things like coasters. Some are vinyl, some are silicone, all are relatively expensive. Like $4 for a sheet of 16. I would not trust their self adhesive, either. If you do use these little nubs, then make sure to attach them with hot glue still.

Edited by Draconis, 06 April 2009 - 01:40 PM.

[15:51] <+Noodle> titties
[15:51] <+Rhadamanthys> titties
[15:51] <+jakejagan> titties
[15:51] <+Lucian> boobs
[15:51] <+Gears> titties
[15:51] <@Draconis> Titties.
[15:52] <+Noodle> why is this so hard?

#434 ELI M

ELI M

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 06:13 PM

Posted Image

There mini hotglue domes. They are perfect for making darts. When I use them I just do everything as usual burn a hole, add hot glue then drop weight. Then I put one of these bad boys on there and it make a perfect dome. They fly straight and far which is obviously good.

Posted Image

Where did you get those?
Chuck Norris and Lance Armstrong had a "Who has more balls" contest. Chuck won by seven.
http://elijah-m.mybrute.com

#435 KingofWinning

KingofWinning

• Banned
  • 20 posts

Posted 26 March 2009 - 06:22 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Where did you get those?

Well if you look up at what I have bolded for you, you'll see he said he got them at Ace Hardware. Try reading more.
Known as WhyModIt? on the chatroom and NHQ

#436 Ice Nine

Ice Nine

Prince Dangus

• Administrators
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 11:00 PM

Zorn and I have been making a decent amount of darts in preparation for Chano. We originally were making darts with the Slug method, but Liquid Nails proved to not be durable enough. I could've just have gotten the wrong type. Rather than resort to hot glue, which is expensive and annoying, here's what we got:

Posted Image

That adhesives tube is incredibly cheap; it was under two dollars. We squeeze a bit onto a plastic bag or cardboard, dip the blank in, and press the washer head down on top. If any leaks over we used ripped stock darts or bad blanks to sop up the mess.

The darts made by this method work very well and are much more solid than ours with Liquid Nails adhering them.

<<Admin edit: Please remove "death darts" from the batch of stefans before photographing it. Darts with any sort of harmful tip will only cause trouble around here, as well as wars.>>

Apologies to the admin who edited that. It was completely a joke.

We sit them on a cool windowsill for a bit as the adhesive dries better cold and then we put them on a big piece of cardboard and let them sit overnight.

Edited by Ice Nine, 06 April 2009 - 09:48 AM.

Unholy Three: DUPLUM SCRTA, DUPLUM PROBLEMA (2009)

But Zeke guns tend to be like proofs by contradiction

Theoretically solid but actually non-constructive

Rnbw Cln

#437 diamondbacknf1626

diamondbacknf1626

• Members
  • 835 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 07:47 AM

*Pics*

Where did you get those?

Well if you look up at what I have bolded for you, you'll see he said he got them at Ace Hardware. Try reading more.

No need to quote the pics over and over. You can also get them at home depot in the same section as you can get a different, harder style felt tip. They're not as...um...fluffy? as the ones from McMaster. I very much prefer these. Like I said, the hard felt tips and the "hotglue domes" are on the same pegboard in Home Depot.

My only recomendation against using the hot-glue dome-like things in place of felt tips with washer stefans is that unless done really well, they'll break easily, just because they don't fit as flat to the dart as the felt tips do, and if they hit something wrong, the head will start to come off.
QUOTE(TxNerfer @ Nov 13 2010, 12:42 PM) View Post

Hey...I got a crazy idea: how about you stop all that sigging stuff? It's not even my thread and it annoys me.

#438 Daniel Beaver

Daniel Beaver

HQRSE CQCK

• Moderators
  • 2,099 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 11:15 AM

Does anyone have any tips for working with liquid nails? I've been trying a few methods, and have resorted to just using my fingers to slather it on. Ideally, I would like to squeeze out a bead of it onto the top of the dart.

On a side note, I'm not sure why so many people have durability problems with liquid nails. My Slug/CS/felt darts hold up much better with liquid nails than with hot glue. I wonder if the type of foam you use makes a difference? I'm using the mile-high.

#439 Muttonchops

Muttonchops

1.21 Muttonflops

• Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 03:19 PM

Beaver;

For Liquid nails, both the caulk-gun and regular squeeze tubes let you control how much comes out and can be cut to preference, so I don't see what is causing the problem. If more control is needed, two options include hookah condoms and plastic bags.
Hookah condoms are useful because they are made of hard plastic and fit directly over the nozzle of the applicator and will give you a small delivery. If you dont have the resources to get them, a plastic sandwich bag works well. Just snip off a corner, throw it over and applicator and POOF, you have something with a lot more precision then you would have otherwise.

-Deamonn
The LGLF - The ass-kickingest, arm-missingest, beer-drinkingest nerf clan in Jersey

21:45 Gears That's boob grabbing time
21:45 Gears it is so easy

#440 Daniel Beaver

Daniel Beaver

HQRSE CQCK

• Moderators
  • 2,099 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 12:06 AM

Thanks Muttonchops, plastic sandwich bags work very well.

#441 the stefan store

the stefan store

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 22 April 2009 - 02:56 PM

hello everyone! I'm not sure if anyone said this, probally out of common sence that you know this but i find that if you have acess to a very sharp razerblade that it does'nt pinch the ends of the stefan when making it, thus making it fly straighter. That's about all I can contribute to this thread, very helpful thread.
92% of teens have moved on to rap.
If you are part of the 8% who still listen to "real music",
copy and paste this into your signature.

#442 Francesca

Francesca

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 06:12 PM

Well, I'm the official dart-smith for the clan that I am in. Our clan makes stefan darts, which are the ones with the hot glue dome. When you're making the dome, you shouldn't try to shape it and make it look good. It just has to be enough to entirely cover the weight. Gravity will make the dome look good. One more thing- don't let the glue gun get too hot. If it does, the glue itself will burn through the blank, and the hole for the weight will be too big/deep. I hope this helps!
-FrAnCeScA

#443 Merzlin

Merzlin

• Members
  • 589 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 06:39 PM

I also hope to help:

When putting in a weight, make sure it's roomy. You need the hotglue to incase the weight, creating a full seal and you will never have flying weights again/for a long time. This eliminates the factor of getting shot with a 3/0 fishing weight; which hurts >.>.

Create a board or table to let your darts dry. Don't shake or pull on the darts, else it will alter the dome/composure that it had before. You want your darts be be as aerodynamic as possible, and hotglue seeping over a piece of foam is not a good example.

When creating a dome, the trick is gravity. You want to put a bead, or a perfect amount of hotglue to besure that the weight will never leave or puncture the hotglue. Let the dart sit, and gravity will naturally create a perfect dome. This is crucial when is comes to the dome part.

Making sure your weight is center is also a valid factor. If your weight is sticking out, good luck. It does not matter how the hole is placed more or less how the weight is placed.

Here are some examples of my darts:

Posted Image

Posted Image

I really hope this helped.

Edited by Merzlin, 26 April 2009 - 06:40 PM.

#444 spartan062

spartan062

• Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 06:49 PM

I use a similar method to what Merzlin does. The only major difference is that instead of a table, I use a piece from a Maveric turret (from a failed CPVC barrel replacement).
Join the Revolution- NerfRevolution.com

#445 Shrub

Shrub

• Banned
  • 862 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 10:08 AM

I'm wondering if you can get a rubber band put around all your blanks and use a disc sander to make all the blanks the exact same length. the same thing could be done easier (sort of) with cpvc the length you want your blanks to be and polycarb disk on the bottom to stop the blanks from coming out.

Edited by Longshot Wielder, 03 May 2009 - 12:47 PM.

Favorite Quotes:
Sorry to hear that man, it's like that one famous bumper sticker, "Shit Happens"
it still seems that your balls drop very rapidly

#446 Zorns Lemma

Zorns Lemma

Sir Scrt

• Moderators
  • 1,277 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 12:13 PM

dick sander

Oh god no.

The rubber band method will fail, because a strong band will deform your blanks, while a weak one will allow them to slide, giving you non-flat ends and defeating the purpose.

If you're going to use the PVC setup, why not just put the foam in and cut it there?
"In short, the same knowledge that underlies the ability to produce correct judgement is also the knowledge that underlies the ability to recognize correct judgement. To lack the former is to be deficient in the latter."
Kruger and Dunning (1999)

#447 Shrub

Shrub

• Banned
  • 862 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 12:48 PM

Well I let them stick out a little so they are a little in consistent.
Favorite Quotes:
Sorry to hear that man, it's like that one famous bumper sticker, "Shit Happens"

#448 bobafan

bobafan

• Members
  • 635 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 02:29 PM

Posted Image

Anything involving high speed and darts other than themselves as a projectile will make them shred. A rubber band doesn't have enough force to hold them together, and something that does will smash the foam.

Edited by bobafan, 03 May 2009 - 02:31 PM.

thaygor: all i remimber is pumping it hard and shooting than trying to pump again

---

<death09>my girlfriend broke up with me and sent me pix of her and her new boyfriend in bed
<ktp753>ouch.
<death09>yeah.i sent them to her dad

#449 Shrub

Shrub

• Banned
  • 862 posts

Posted 03 May 2009 - 05:09 PM

There also is the CPVC idea. Also I wouldn't say high speed only 1250RPM my dremel at top speed doesn't even shred foam unless I'm drilling into it. I figure I would be using 30 lengths of 1.5" CPVC and a large hole saw to cut the polycarb or I could cut a square with a saw.

Edited by Longshot Wielder, 03 May 2009 - 06:18 PM.

Favorite Quotes:

#450 EnigmaticRage

EnigmaticRage

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 06:10 PM

This isn't really a tip: how long are the posts on unmodded guns to make stefans for them?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users