Photo

Nerf Zap Snaps?

10 replies to this topic

#1 kevne

kevne

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 06:49 PM

I recently came across a box of nerfy bits and bobs in a charity shop. Some of it was new, other stuff was vintage but the most exciting thing was the Zap Snaps.

Now, I know these things are rare. I vaguely remember seeing them when I was younger but I haven't heard anything of them in years. I've had a bit of a google and I can only find really basic info on them (Nerf Wiki seems to be the best source as ever.).

So, my question is this. Exactly how rare are they? How many other people own one and is it even worth hanging on to? I usually only keep the vintage blasters that I really wanted as a kid but never had. Is this so rare that it should be the new jewl of my collection?

EDIT:

For those who are interested, Here's a piccy.

Posted Image

Edited by kevne, 13 October 2012 - 02:48 AM.

BritNerf, the Queen's favourite Nerf Forum.

The UK's most popular Nerf Blog.

I also have a Website.

#2 BiwinningPanda

BiwinningPanda

• Members
  • 172 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 06:52 PM

I recently came across a box of nerfy bits and bobs in a charity shop. Some of it was new, other stuff was vintage but the most exciting thing was the Zap Snaps.

Now, I know these things are rare. I vaguely remember seeing them when I was younger but I haven't heard anything of them in years. I've had a bit of a google and I can only find really basic info on them (Nerf Wiki seems to be the best source as ever.).

So, my question is this. Exactly how rare are they? How many other people own one and is it even worth hanging on to? I usually only keep the vintage blasters that I really wanted as a kid but never had. Is this so rare that it should be the new jewl of my collection?

They were recalled as soon as they were released. I say it is REALLY rare. Far rarer than a Crossbow.
Edit: According to Nerf Wiki "This model is considered a "prototype". It is an extremely rare blaster and only a few exist." I'm pretty jelly now.
Edit 2: Also they may have been recalled to to breaking in people's faces, so don't use it unless you want to risk breaking it/ crushing it's value.

Edited by BiwinningPanda, 31 July 2012 - 06:54 PM.

LT.DAN ICE CREAM!!!!!! In response to the Tribal Council: Someone break out the Michael Jackson popcorn gif, this shit just got interesting.

#3 kevne

kevne

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 06:58 PM

Edit 2: Also they may have been recalled to to breaking in people's faces, so don't use it unless you want to risk breaking it/ crushing it's value.

I wouldn't worry about that. As soon as I realised what it was it went into it's own special box.

I also have a Website.

#4 Blue

Blue

• Members
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 09:35 PM

At one point a NIB zap snaps went on ebay and sold for around $10. It was from one of the real old nerf sites, and there is a pic of it there. That was around 2-3 years ago though. I wouldn't get your hopes up. Now, if you had a slingfire dx-400 on the other hand... only ever seen one for sale and it went for near $100.

#5 kevne

kevne

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 03:43 AM

Thanks for that Blue but I'm not sure adding a dollar value really helps. Crossbows can go for around $100 and they aren't massively rare, they just don't come up for sale very often. Price is more of a measure of desirability than rarity. Someone on eBay.co.uk is selling a Spectre REV-5 for the equivalent of $211. Simply because they aren't available in the UK doesn't make them rare.

What I am trying to get a sense of is how many people actually own one.

I also have a Website.

#6 HasreadCoC

HasreadCoC

• Members
  • 274 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 10:33 AM

Thanks for that Blue but I'm not sure adding a dollar value really helps. Crossbows can go for around $100 and they aren't massively rare, they just don't come up for sale very often. Price is more of a measure of desirability than rarity. Someone on eBay.co.uk is selling a Spectre REV-5 for the equivalent of $211. Simply because they aren't available in the UK doesn't make them rare.

What I am trying to get a sense of is how many people actually own one.

Not very many people.

It's like if a famous ill man took about a half dozen purple shits with green polka dots. Super rare, and ..... collectable to people who collect crap? But still crap in-and-of-itself.

So, if you collect nerf based on rarity, sure, it's quite rare, but rarity as a factor aside, it's pretty low-tier.

I guess it comes down to what factors you value most in your collection.

I'm the only respectable person here. The rest of the NIC are pretty much just child molesters.

AKA: ObiWonTwo on Nerfrevolution, and most of the rest of the internet for that matter.....

#7 kevne

kevne

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 10:47 AM

It's like if a famous ill man took about a half dozen purple shits with green polka dots. Super rare, and ..... collectable to people who collect crap?

Beautifully put. Poetic even. This is exactly the point I was trying to get at. Is it a case of no one owns one and no one cares? If it is as I suspect then It doesn't really change anything. It is still a bit of Nerf history.

I also have a Website.

#8 TED

TED

In Brightest Prawn, in Darkest Shrimp...

• Administrators
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 11:52 AM

Not very many people.

It's like if a famous ill man took about a half dozen purple shits with green polka dots. Super rare, and ..... collectable to people who collect crap? But still crap in-and-of-itself.

So, if you collect nerf based on rarity, sure, it's quite rare, but rarity as a factor aside, it's pretty low-tier.

I guess it comes down to what factors you value most in your collection.

Just when I thought I couldn't dislike you anymore. You always find a way.

You poop collector.
Star Wars can go fuck itself.

#9 Gage

Gage

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 11:40 AM

I read once that the product was either unreleased or recalled due to concerns on the fact that kids could get hit in the eye by the rubber bands on the end of the ammo, although the probability of that happening is rather slim.

Anyways, great find!

#10 Saxtonhale01

Saxtonhale01

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 10:21 PM

Umm, are you sure? I read somewhere that there are only 7 in existence. I hope you plan on posting a photo of this blaster soon. It's hard to accept you actually own one of these considering it is only a prototype model, due to it being recalled moments notice away from its release. So all I am asking is that you post a picture of it soon...

#11 Daniel Beaver

Daniel Beaver

HQRSE CQCK

• Moderators
  • 2,097 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 12:39 PM

I read somewhere that there are only 7 in existence.

You were lied to on the internet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users