.22 Master Exam Design

You give me suggestions, and make me graduate! :D

17 replies to this topic

#1 Zumatrix

Zumatrix

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 04:07 PM

Okay, so in the Netherlands we have a project, that you have to succeed before graduating. There are no rules, exept that it has to do something with you subjects (mine are more technical).
So I chose to make a .22 caliber hunting rifle. This is my design:

IMAGE REMOVED BY ADMIN

What do you think about it?
Comment below and let me know!
Zumatrix

Edited by VACC, 17 February 2012 - 11:30 AM.

#2 td667

td667

• Members
  • 40 posts
  • State:Tennessee

Posted 03 February 2012 - 04:10 PM

Very nice sir! Keep us updated with the progress, I look forward to seeing more of this. Good luck!
I am looking to buy a BBB, 4B, or a rf20. PM or email me with any offers.

92% of teens have moved on to rap.
If you are part of the 8% who still listen to "real music",
copy and paste this into your signature.

"Be prepared."-MacGyver

#3 Z64052187

Z64052187

• Members
  • 22 posts
  • State:Indiana

Posted 03 February 2012 - 04:42 PM

I can't see a bolt handle, I'm assuming it's semi-automatic? Correct me if I'm wrong.

I think it looks good. Simple, and simple is reliable. Would you be able to adapt the design for larger calibers, or are you looking strictly at .22?

And are we talking .22 Long Rifle, .22 Magnum, what?

Edited by Z64052187, 03 February 2012 - 04:43 PM.

#4 meatballica

meatballica

• Members
  • 130 posts
  • State:Oklahoma

Posted 03 February 2012 - 06:00 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this board meant fot NERF guns?
"You've waged your war on nerves, but you can't crush the kingdom."

#5 Naturalman7

Naturalman7

• Contributors
  • 158 posts
  • State:Idaho

Posted 03 February 2012 - 06:09 PM

That is very nice indeed. I look forward to seeing it progress. Good luck on your project.

meatballica,
This is in the off-topic forum, which means it does not have to be about Nerf guns.

Z64052187,
.22 Caliber LR is the most common rimfire (if I know what I'm talking about), so most likely .22 Long Rifle.

#6 Swiftone1990

Swiftone1990

• Members
  • 40 posts
  • State:Missouri

Posted 03 February 2012 - 06:23 PM

.22 LR is the most common, by a great margin.

It is a very simple design. Are you just designing, or are you going to actually be building one of these?
I am curious what sort of action you are going to have.
I am not retreating, I am advancing in a different direction

#7 Z64052187

Z64052187

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 06:32 PM

.22 LR is the most common, by a great margin.

Z64052187,
.22 Caliber LR is the most common rimfire (if I know what I'm talking about), so most likely .22 Long Rifle.

I'm well aware of how common it is, I know more about real firearms than I do about NERF blasters, to be honest. I asked because I'd prefer .22 mag in a hunting rifle as opposed to .22 LR. I was just curious what style of .22 it would use.

Hell, you could probably tweak the system to make it take .223

Edited by Z64052187, 03 February 2012 - 06:36 PM.

#8 DudeRadster

DudeRadster

• Members
  • 55 posts
  • State:Minnesota

Posted 03 February 2012 - 10:17 PM

Looks pretty good bro, my only advice is that you make sure the catch spring is awful strong. I have personally seen the effects of a weak catch spring when a gun is dropped. Fortunately, nobody got hurt.
Only YOU can prevent preserve Wildfires.

#9 Zumatrix

Zumatrix

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 06:22 AM

I can't see a bolt handle, I'm assuming it's semi-automatic? Correct me if I'm wrong.

I think it looks good. Simple, and simple is reliable. Would you be able to adapt the design for larger calibers, or are you looking strictly at .22?

And are we talking .22 Long Rifle, .22 Magnum, what?

Haha, making it semi auto would be so much more complicated, and the chance of the bullet exploding in your face is much and much higher!
it is bolt action, but the bolt would be connected to the part in front of the spring.
Zumatrix

#10 Z64052187

Z64052187

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 01:09 PM

Haha, making it semi auto would be so much more complicated, and the chance of the bullet exploding in your face is much and much higher!
it is bolt action, but the bolt would be connected to the part in front of the spring.
Zumatrix

Eh, semi-auto's not that bad, but I can see what you mean.

It's honestly easier to make a homemade weapon full auto than it is to make one semi-auto.

#11 hamoidar

hamoidar

• Members
  • 367 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 08:40 PM

A real, deadly, gun design on a nerf forum?
NerfHaven > Your control panel > Profile > Change Signature > Inserts dumb sig > What! No pictures! > Inserts next best thing: http://nerfhaven.com...howuser=114052' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>Best thing on Nerfhaven!

#12 Jelly

Jelly

• Members
  • 12 posts
  • State:California

Posted 04 February 2012 - 09:56 PM

This is the OFF TOPIC section. Make sure the catch spring is strong... I've been shot by a .22 short becaue some idiot dropped their gun.

Edited by Jelly, 04 February 2012 - 09:57 PM.

#13 Zumatrix

Zumatrix

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 04:18 AM

.22 Are small game hunting rifles, there is no way you can kill someone with it (perhaps an eyeshot)
Zumatrix

#14 Swiftone1990

Swiftone1990

• Members
  • 40 posts
  • State:Missouri

Posted 05 February 2012 - 04:34 AM

... A .22 round can most definitively be lethal. Anything propelled by gunpowder or any sort of explosive can be. Think of what some of the high power nerf blasters do, especially if you have ever seen the head of a stephan fail. Then multiply that power by a lot.

EDIT: If you look on the side of most ammunition, the lethal range is labeled on it. The .22 LR I have at home is labeled at just over one mile for lethal range.

Edited by Swiftone1990, 05 February 2012 - 04:38 AM.

I am not retreating, I am advancing in a different direction

#15 Demon Lord

Demon Lord

• Members
  • 304 posts
  • State:Illinois

Posted 05 February 2012 - 05:51 AM

.22 Are small game hunting rifles, there is no way you can kill someone with it (perhaps an eyeshot)
Zumatrix

Actually historically the .22 wasn't designed for target shooting or hunting small game, the original nickname of that caliber of round was "the assassin's bullet" as the small size and shape as well as the lower velocity of the round would cause it to bounce around in the human body causing more damage than if the round had gone straight through.
But I digress and correct,
Once you said that the design was bolt action and nothing else the design clicked. I would make the part that holds the bolt back a bit thicker but the overall design seems sound.

QUOTE(VACC @ Mar 7 2011, 09:03 AM) View Post

Don't worry so much about what other people will allow. Throw your own wars and kick your friends' asses until they all want one.

#16 Z64052187

Z64052187

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 10:58 AM

... A .22 round can most definitively be lethal. Anything propelled by gunpowder or any sort of explosive can be. Think of what some of the high power nerf blasters do, especially if you have ever seen the head of a stephan fail. Then multiply that power by a lot.

EDIT: If you look on the side of most ammunition, the lethal range is labeled on it. The .22 LR I have at home is labeled at just over one mile for lethal range.

AMEN BROTHA! HEAR WHAT HE HAS TO SAY!

But seriously, he's right. .22s are small-caliber weapons, but they're still lethal, and they're not "toy" guns.

Still, this is the Off-Topic, and I'm sure this board is populated by plenty of engineers, or engineering-minded people. Considering we're discussing (or supposed to be discussing) the design of the rifle, and not it's legitimacy on NERF Haven, I don't see how it's a problem.

Edited by Z64052187, 05 February 2012 - 08:05 PM.

#17 Daniel Beaver

Daniel Beaver

HQRSE CQCK

• Moderators
  • 2,074 posts
  • NerfHaven Subscription Supporter
  • State:Minnesota

Posted 05 February 2012 - 11:06 AM

.22LR cartridges are responsible for more deaths on the US than any other type. And like Demon Lord said, even the lower-powered .22 short was developed as a self-defense round. I'm not sure what's worse: talking out your ass about firearms safety on a children's hobby forum, or that you're actually building the firearm that you're talking out your ass about.

I love guns, and the OP's project looks neat (it's a very nice technical drawing!). But... damnit man, don't give these kids shitty ideas about gun saftey! We have enough bad influences on the internet.

Edited by Daniel Beaver, 05 February 2012 - 11:24 AM.

#18 VACC

VACC

Vacc is Legend

• Founders
  • 3,265 posts
  • State:New York

Posted 17 February 2012 - 11:29 AM

No no. Nope. We don't allow the discussion of darts with exposed metal; what the fuck would lead you to believe we'd allow this? This is so stupid, you're getting a week off.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users