Doom

NH's Official In-House Physicist

• Administrators
  • 559 posts
  • State:Texas
  • u/btrettel on Reddit

Posted 22 January 2012 - 12:17 PM

Either date is good for me.

I finally visited Calvert Road Park (in College Park) again. Seems the south end is entirely for disc golf and people were playing disc golf even on a cold day like today, but the remainder is open for anything. The part right north of the parking lot would be good for Nerf.

Rather than conventional mobstacles, we should try something simpler: typing tarps between trees with rope. This is easier to transport and involves construction only on the war day. I'm going to try this out later when I have the time to see how to tie the tarps so that they stay up and are high enough.

#27 ChaosPropel

ChaosPropel

• Members
  • 586 posts
  • State:Maryland

Posted 22 January 2012 - 01:06 PM

I finally visited Calvert Road Park (in College Park) again. Seems the south end is entirely for disc golf and people were playing disc golf even on a cold day like today, but the remainder is open for anything. The part right north of the parking lot would be good for Nerf.

Rather than conventional mobstacles, we should try something simpler: typing tarps between trees with rope. This is easier to transport and involves construction only on the war day. I'm going to try this out later when I have the time to see how to tie the tarps so that they stay up and are high enough.

Thanks Doom.
Yea, I think the tying tarp method could work. I have some tarp, as well as some spare fabric that could work. Are the trees on the unoccupied end close e ough together for this?
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).

#28 Doom

Doom

• Administrators
  • 559 posts
  • u/btrettel on Reddit

Posted 22 January 2012 - 01:42 PM

Thanks Doom.
Yea, I think the tying tarp method could work. I have some tarp, as well as some spare fabric that could work. Are the trees on the unoccupied end close e ough together for this?

Some definitely are, but this is one thing I want to check when I revisit. They all don't need to be too close, however, as we could tie multiple tarps together to make a big one and/or bring a lot of rope. We also could get some poles and steaks to keep tarps upright if one end is not attached to a tree.

#29 Shoopy

Shoopy

• Members
  • 208 posts
  • State:Pennsylvania

Posted 22 January 2012 - 02:05 PM

I live in PA, and I'll probably try to make it to the monthly wars.
You know you all want to crouch like a tiger...

PA POWER Clan Is that all ya got?

#30 Keo

Keo

• Members
  • 232 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 04:53 PM

This Sounds AWESOME.

So are we likely leaning to this park and definitely on the 26th ?

I'm thinking I won't know if me and my friend are coming until super close, like maybe as close as the friday before it could be canceled, if he got some homework from college on Friday and didnt finish it by Sunday, he may not come at all, and thus neither would I.

#31 ChaosPropel

ChaosPropel

• Members
  • 586 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 07:44 PM

Doom, if you do revisit Calvert Rd park, could you take some pics of where we'd be playing? About how big is the area?
Also, has the other Frisbee Golf Park you mentioned that day on IRC been eliminated from our considerations? Got any other locations?

#32 Doom

Doom

• Administrators
  • 559 posts
  • u/btrettel on Reddit

Posted 22 January 2012 - 09:43 PM

By other disc golf park, do you mean the park in Gaithersburg? I haven't looked into it as Calvert Road Park seems to be plenty adequate and much easier for me to get to.

I will take some photos of the general area and my tarp setup when I revisit the park.

Google Maps suggests that the wooded part of the northern section has dimensions of about 70 meters x 70 meters.

The northeast part of the park is available too (but has no trees), as is the southeast part (which has trees). A war spanning from the southeast part to the north part would be interesting. One side in a game gets one wooded section.

Edited by Doom, 22 January 2012 - 10:05 PM.

#33 ChaosPropel

ChaosPropel

• Members
  • 586 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 09:45 PM

The frisbee/disc golf park is Calvert Road Park. So it hasn't been eliminated or ignored.

I will take some photos of the general area and my tarp setup when I revisit the park.

By the other one, I meant the Lakeland Rd one. Sorry, couldn't remember the name at the time.

#34 Doom

Doom

• Administrators
  • 559 posts
  • u/btrettel on Reddit

Posted 22 January 2012 - 10:06 PM

By the other one, I meant the Lakeland Rd one. Sorry, couldn't remember the name at the time.

I wasn't sure myself of what you meant, so I edited my post, but my edit was wrong.

That park is not as good as Calvert Road Park in my opinion. Parking is farther away, the park is smaller, and there have been a few crimes in that area.

Edited by Doom, 22 January 2012 - 10:08 PM.

#35 jolt

jolt

• Members
  • 30 posts
  • State:Virginia

Posted 24 January 2012 - 09:51 PM

The more wars the better! I am usually busy on weekends, so if there are wars every two weeks or so, there is more of a chance that I can make it up to a couple wars. My blasters don't work worth a crap right now, and I don't really have any mode of transportation.
I'll have to work on that.

#36 ChaosPropel

ChaosPropel

• Members
  • 586 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 07:13 PM

Alright, I got the OK that as of now the 26th works for me. Is the "unstructured, no real defined host" idea work for you guys? I'm really only asking, since because I'll be posting the thread, it may seem like I'm the host. However, I'll most likely be arriving about 1.5-2 hours late to the war. I do have some tarp and fabric, which I could hand off to Landstricker before hand, assuming he'll be getting there on time. I'll also most likely have a guest.

I'll try to get a thread up tonight. If not, then definetely tomorrow.

#37 Keo

Keo

• Members
  • 232 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 07:40 PM

Alright, I got the OK that as of now the 26th works for me. Is the "unstructured, no real defined host" idea work for you guys? I'm really only asking, since because I'll be posting the thread, it may seem like I'm the host. However, I'll most likely be arriving about 1.5-2 hours late to the war. I do have some tarp and fabric, which I could hand off to Landstricker before hand, assuming he'll be getting there on time. I'll also most likely have a guest.

I'll try to get a thread up tonight. If not, then definetely tomorrow.

No host sounds fine to me, as long as the group votes on game types and stuff.

If it goes up tonight, will it have it's own trading thread ?

The sooner it goes up I can see if the one guest that was my only way from my mom's is serious, or I can call my dad and have my weekends switched around and if I do have a "guest" they wont be coming from the same vehicle as me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users