Nerf Reflex Integration Into A Nerf Recon Barrel

9 replies to this topic

#1 MattTheSasquatch

MattTheSasquatch

• Members
  • 81 posts
  • State:Ohio

Posted 10 December 2011 - 07:48 PM

I apologize for no pictures during the process, but I will give an in-depth guide on how to do this. Quite simple to do.

Materials needed:
Hacksaw (with a blade to cut plastics)
Epoxy Putty (I used the Quick Steel Epoxy)
Sandpaper (I forget which grit I used)

The Steps
1. Cut the Reflex handle just below the trigger with the hacksaw, but leave a little handle there to secure the blaster to the barrel attachment.
2. Sand the bottom of the Reflex for a smooth and even surface.
3. Take the Epoxy putty (a pretty small amount is needed) and smear on the bottom of the Reflex. Then, apply to the bottom (or top) of the Recon Barrel Attachment (or any barrel will work). Please take note, place the end of the handle just in front of the tactical rail stop tab (correct term?) or else there will not be enough room for the Reflex plunger tube to prime and it will not work. Let the Epoxy sit for around an hour before handling. I recommend the Quick Steel Epoxy Putty (found at the Wal-Mart automotive's section for 4 U.S. dollars) as when the putty hardens, not only is the putty very hard, it sticks very well.

Here is a picture of the final product (again, sorry for no pictures during the making. My camera's batteries were dead and did not have replacements at the time):
Posted Image
Posted Image

The Epoxy will probably get sanded down a little more. It looks like there is not a lot of Epoxy, but I was able to keep quite a bit of handle under the trigger, enough to were I put a complete slab of putty underneath for a solid integration to the barrel.
You're never too old to play with Nerf Blasters.

#2 evilbunnyo

evilbunnyo

• Members
  • 404 posts
  • State:New York

Posted 10 December 2011 - 08:00 PM

Or you could've taken the recon sight broke the clip off and epoxied that on and made it detachable.
Silence is golden but duct tape is silver

#3 MattTheSasquatch

MattTheSasquatch

• Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 08:03 PM

That is not a bad idea, but my Recon sight is already being used as a camera holder attachment. And I already modded my Recon Tactical Light with an LED flashlight, and I have no other attachments. But I will consider that for future mods.

#4 Blue

Blue

• Members
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 08:37 PM

Maybe drill a hole through the back of the reflex and attach coat hanger to the trigger so you can make something less awkward to fire than that. Possibly use fishing line or something flexible and rig it to a keyring in a more comfortable place.

#5 MattTheSasquatch

MattTheSasquatch

• Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 08:00 PM

I will be doing that when I decide which blaster I want it to go on. I may do this with the Spectre when I get my hands on one and mod it. As well, I may play with some ideas, like the coat hanger idea, to see if I can get a system without putting the trigger through the blaster so I can transfer this to any blaster. Thanks for the coat hanger idea, I never really thought about that.

#6 Nsnerfing

Nsnerfing

• Banned
  • 50 posts
  • State:California

Posted 16 December 2011 - 09:48 PM

Very nice mod! Did you mod the reflex?
I want
ANYTHING vintage, I am a collecter. In North Ca? PM me.

#7 MattTheSasquatch

MattTheSasquatch

• Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 10:31 PM

Yes, the Reflex is modded. I stretched the spring just a tad and took the air restrictor out. And I just remembered, the Reflex has a tactical rail, so I can still add something underneath the Reflex if I wanted to. The Stampede bi-pod may be a good addition to this.

#8 Pause

Pause

• Members
  • 107 posts
  • State:Hawaii

Posted 19 December 2011 - 01:20 AM

The Stampede bi-pod may be a good addition to this.

In my opinion, I think if you added the Stampede bi-pod, it would be VERY wobbly.
I guess its just all preference though :mellow:
-Pause-

http://nerfpause.blogspot.com/

Heh.

USER WAS BLAND IN THIS POST

#9 VACC

VACC

Vacc is Legend

• Founders
  • 3,265 posts
  • State:New York

Posted 19 December 2011 - 09:32 AM

In the future, this kind of mod would fit better in the modification/paintjob thread. The steps are rather self explanatory once you see the photo.

That said, you did nothing wrong, so don't take this as an admonishment. Honestly, I'm just happy to see activity in the winter months, when most of us are not thinking about nerf.

#10 MattTheSasquatch

MattTheSasquatch

• Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 07:57 PM

In the future, this kind of mod would fit better in the modification/paintjob thread. The steps are rather self explanatory once you see the photo.

That said, you did nothing wrong, so don't take this as an admonishment. Honestly, I'm just happy to see activity in the winter months, when most of us are not thinking about nerf.

I'll remember that for next time. And here is my philosophy on what I plan on doing. Most of my modding will be in the winter, early spring, and late fall as by then Nerf Wars become scarce as the weather isn't great. This is when I take a look at my arsenal and see what changes I should take. I then mod/buy/sell/create what I need so when the nice months come around, I am all prepared to go into any setting and do well. I just find it easier to mod in colder months because when you're inside and have nothing to do, working on blasters is a great way to spend time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users