Time

Because Cxwq > j00

29 replies to this topic

#26 Vintage

Vintage

• Members
  • 462 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 11:32 PM

Yes, I get what you say, NinjZ. But you would have to intstantly teleport 3 million light-years away in order to view earth 3 million years ago.

AirApache: So you are saying that for every choice, there is a separate "split" of the universe? That's really far reaching. There would be an infinite number of universes, meaning that in order to time travel, you would have to "jump universes." In effect, you don't really change your past, but the past of some other alternate universe. (That still is alot of universes)

personally its easier for me to beleave in aliens and time travel than it is to beleave in some all knowing all powerfull God.

Personally, it's easier for me to believe in an all powerful God, than to believe in a world of evolution and chance. The Bible says nothing about other planets and possible aliens, it tells us just what we need to know about our world. There might just be life out there...but then they could have gone back in time to take over Earth before we had technology. (or maybe they did, but in a different universe split, ha ha)

~Vintage
You can get much further with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone
~Al Capone

#27 NinjZ

NinjZ

• Members
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 11:46 PM

vintage my point wasnt the instantly teleporting thing, my point was you could technically see into the past if you were to get 3 million light years away and look back. just an interesting fact.

if your going to bring God into it, leave the bible out. The bible is crap written by men interpreted the way they see it. I hate when people go bible this bible that. ( not saying I hate you though vintage, i respect you. )

If you really get into it, time is just a measuremeant created by man. If anything you could only move forward in time, not back, sorta like the whole planet of the apes thing. You travel at the speed of light for a while. Come home and time has passed.

#28 Vintage

Vintage

• Members
  • 462 posts

Posted 15 May 2004 - 09:10 AM

I don't want this to be a theological argument. As a Christian, I believe the Bible is the inspired work of God (meaning God laid on the hearts of the authors what to write). My only point was in regard to:

personally its easier for me to beleave in aliens and time travel than it is to beleave in some all knowing all powerfull God.

where I said that the Christian faith does not condemn the idea that there might be aliens. And yes, I respect you for your ideas as well.

I don't think time is a measurement of man. Yes the units of time (Hours, Minutes, Seconds) are invented by men, but time itself is simply the direction of life. It flows one way. We are just contemplating the possiblility that the flow of time can be broken in a small way.

I think the best way I ever heard the time travel theory was in Cube 2 (I never saw Cube). Though I probably should look at Michael Crichton's work as well. However, the idea of an unlimited amount of universes makes for a tough concept to swallow.

~Vintage
You can get much further with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone
~Al Capone

#29 Bishop

Bishop

• Members
  • 160 posts

Posted 15 May 2004 - 11:06 AM

The leading metaphysical theories currently state the existence of 10 dimensions, possible... There is X,Y,Z,Time, and 6 other ones in a different category.y 11.

You have a line (one dimension)
Square the line for a square (two dimensions)
Square the square for a cube (three dimensions)
Square the cube for the tessaract (four dimensions)

Some think that time is a dimension, but not a physical one. A dimension that affects all physical dimensions.

All you people are confusing me. I just belive in my thoughts from skipping around posts that we are not visited by future people because it hasent happend yet. It is not there. Going back maby be a possiblity because it allready happend. But it is also weird because that stuff allready happend. There are clones of us walking around a clueless of our future as we were years ago. Kinda steange. You could spend your whole life thinking up theories. Good topic Mystic.

Formerly: VoRtExMaStEr

#30 MysticFalcon182

MysticFalcon182

• Members
  • 269 posts

Posted 18 May 2004 - 09:03 PM

For those of you who haven't read Timeline, here is Crichton's theory:
New universes are constantly being split, and each 'slice' of universe is a part in time. We are the only ones moving, Time is constantly still. The idea for time paradoxes is that it's impossible. Because the event has already happened, if you end up back in time, say...you kill your father. Will you not be alive? Yes, but only in the universe that ends up splitting off from the one that you just killed your father in. Because the universes keep splitting, you are unaffected because YOUR universe has already taken place, and you are already born. Oof...I hope that's not too confusing.
-AirApache

Actually, this was the type of idea I was aiming for when posting back in Cxwq's topic on the other forum ^_^

Anyways... Really, there are "frames" of time, infinitely going on and on... Each 1/infinite'th of a second would be a frame.... Thus, it takes you infinite frames to read each word...

That confuses me too; I understand it perfectly (as far as I know), but I can't explain it well. Besides, English was my second language, thus... You get it.

As for you, Vortex... How are we "not up to time travel yet" in the future? The future will extend until the end of life, the universe, and everything... Thus, do we figure out time travel before the <b>end</b>?

Which, also... Brings up something else, if you ask me... <b>Do human beings and any other intelligent organisms perish before time travel is able to be done?</b> ^_^

~Mystic~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users