Photo

Orange Mod Works Kit Reviews

82 replies to this topic

#51 MavericK96

MavericK96

• Members
  • 229 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 08:56 PM

You guys seem to be avoiding the dart tag guns, any reason for that?

I'm guessing two possibilities:

1) They are still very new and haven't been completely "explored" yet by modders.

2) I have heard that those who have tried to mod them did not have much success because of how complex the internals were.

#52 Keo

Keo

• Members
  • 232 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 10:06 PM

I'm guessing two possibilities:

1) They are still very new and haven't been completely "explored" yet by modders.

2) I have heard that those who have tried to mod them did not have much success because of how complex the internals were.

It's pretty much the second reason you have here, harder to mod and to boot not as good as the other guns once modded.

I'm trying to get them to make their own mass produced homemade though, think of the awesomeness it can be if they made a Recon get 120'!!

#53 kingjulien

kingjulien

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 14 August 2011 - 01:43 PM

When someone tells me to do airsoft instead of nerf I feel pride in saying that I like nerf because I can modify the guns. In airsoft you can not modify the guns at all except for buying kits online and putting the kits into your gun,replacing the stock parts. I feel that doing this with nerf kind of takes some of the fun out of modding, although, I am still very much on the side of Orange Mod Works. I really love the kits and I think it is a great way for people with less modding skill to have more fun. I think stock gun wars are very boring because the ranges are so short you just stand around doing nothing. I also think that these are great for advanced modders who tipicly shy away from recons. It would lastly be great for HvZ people who don't have proper materials to mod the guns alone.

#54 Demon Lord

Demon Lord

• Members
  • 304 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 12:32 AM

Think of it this way with the kits; it will encourage people to try out their own mods and ideas. People swap out springs, add longer barrels, and when a person has a whole spare set of internals sitting around, people will mess around with those to see what they can do.
QUOTE(VACC @ Mar 7 2011, 09:03 AM) View Post

Don't worry so much about what other people will allow. Throw your own wars and kick your friends' asses until they all want one.

#55 Ozymandias

Ozymandias

• Members
  • 201 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 01:55 AM

Question for OMW: do you have a rough schedule of what you plan to release and when?
If you wish to post anything HvZ related, here ya go.

"...if you've ever suffered the effects of a fucking faggot retard overpopulation, you'll understand what devistaiting effects it can have on one's psyche." - Talio

#56 kingjulien

kingjulien

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 10:04 AM

I cant wait for the nightfinder kit but I wonder what they will replace. Just the spring, catch and catch spring? My only concern is that the plunger rod is very soft and might not be able to handle the added power for a very long time. Maybe they could include reinforcement rods to fit into the sides of the plunger rod.

#57 taerKitty

taerKitty

• Members
  • 883 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 11:17 AM

Replacing the PT could be useful - the two tabs that hold it to the shell break easily with augmented springs.

===

Edit: Some people may opine that having prebuilt parts takes the challenge out of modding.

That's fine. Don't buy them. Some others are sick and tired of stock plastic not holding up to upgraded springs, or are just interested in keeping up in the arms race.

There are many reasons to mod, and just as many ways. Don't dis someone for not being in lockstep with your One True Way.

Edited by taerKitty, 15 August 2011 - 05:27 PM.

Fugly is a feature.

#58 lionhawk

lionhawk

• Members
  • 218 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 10:54 AM

I personally like the idea of the omw kits, but I don't think I'll be buying them. I'm a bit worried if they have aluminum internals they'll be pretty heavy to just run around with. And, I sort of like modding my guns the hard way, and personalizing the gun myself. A simple parts exchange to make a nerf gun shoot about 100 ft. doesn't seem so fun to me. But these would be good for people who can't just mod like the rest of us. But on the other hand, I was fine with the recon, but now I'm seeing so many guns they plan on kitting, I'm worried that so many people will be having aluminum parts in their blasters like it came that way out of the box. I know this is unlikely, but I don't like the idea of it.

#59 chavez guy

chavez guy

• Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 02:37 PM

I'm a bit worried if they have aluminum internals they'll be pretty heavy to just run around with.

Dude, aluminium is one of the lightest metals, haha.
Hablamos Español

#60 bennorco

bennorco

• Members
  • 126 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 07:48 PM

Dude, aluminium is one of the lightest metals, haha.

I wouldn't doubt it if it ends up being lighter then the plastic! lol.
Buy this stuff^

#61 Kyrativ

Kyrativ

• Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 11:20 PM

Seriously? You could replace a nerf guns internals will lead and it still would be lighter than a feather compared to things like paintball or airsoft guns.
The only nerfer who could kick your ass with a dart tag gun but not with a xbow

NERFSTRONG #44

#62 lionhawk

lionhawk

• Members
  • 218 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 10:11 AM

Okay, I don`t know that sort of stuff, you can stop flaming. @kirativ, Of course airsoft and paintball are heavier, but I won`t be running around with an airsoft gun, I`ll be running around with a nerf gun, so your point is irrelevant.

Edited by lionhawk, 18 August 2011 - 10:16 AM.

#63 lionhawk

lionhawk

• Members
  • 218 posts

Posted 18 August 2011 - 10:11 AM

Double post error, my bad.

Edited by lionhawk, 18 August 2011 - 10:13 AM.

#64 Kyrativ

Kyrativ

• Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 10:34 AM

My point is that need guns just naturally aren't heavy, people dart around with full metal airsoft and paintball guns in their respective sports just fine. I'm sure anyone could manage a nerf gun with a little added weight, in fact it might almost be nice.

NERFSTRONG #44

#65 238232

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 12:34 AM

I'm sure anyone could manage a nerf gun with a little added weight, in fact it might almost be nice.

True that. I've run around all day with a Stampede that had a SLA in it, didn't mind the weight at all.

#66 autonerf

autonerf

• Members
  • 107 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 09:13 PM

Nevermind, with the recon stage 2 the o-ring it came with was too tight on the plunger so it was slowing it down decreasing my ranges. I switched to a #40 and it works good now.

Edited by autonerf, 01 December 2011 - 02:24 AM.

#67 ice

ice

• Members
  • 895 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 10:46 PM

I put stage 1 and 2 in mine and was hitting 70 flat no problem with hotglue tipped streamlines, seeing as normal tipped ones just fish tailed most of the time (the stage 1 kit now ships with a slightly stronger spring). Then the back of the new metal plunger popped off after about 6 shots, so I got on the phone with OMW and they told me I got one of the proto-type plungers, and are shipping me a new one monday. I was talking with Coop, and his also hit's in the 70's flat, and he's already gone through 150 shots with it, further verifying that mine was just a lemon. I'll have more to say about it when I get my new kit.

I have been toying around with the raider stage 1, and it bent my priming bar to the point where it wouldn't prime cause the spring was to strong, so I'm reinforcing the bar with epoxy putty tonight. Also, you have to shave the front facing plunger tab off so it won't snap off under the pressure (had it happen already, but I have a spare in my parts bin). Pics will be up tomorrow when I'm less tired.
<!--quoteo(post=206428:date=Jan 25 2009, 05:17 PM:name=Mukersman)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mukersman @ Jan 25 2009, 05:17 PM) View Post</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
Turd stefans. When I pulled these out of the pillow case i was just like, what... the... fuck...
Muker
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

#68 autonerf

autonerf

• Members
  • 107 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 02:28 PM

I tried the 2nd more powerful Recon Kit 1 spring and it would not prime. The spring kept getting stuck when I put the black cover on. So I made custom streamlines and did another range test but the ranges were even less. Only 30 ft. I made my hot glue tipped streamlines 2 1/4" long. Ice, can you post a picture of the darts you were using? With this metal breech the last dart in the clip always seems to jam. I'm not a fan of custom darts because at wars the darts get all mixed together if some people have stock streamlines.

Posted Image

#69 Coop

Coop

#sogoodmuchtacticswowinit2winit360noscopehax0rleetbeastmodeactiv

• Members
  • 775 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 04:32 PM

Can somebody tell me why no one else is showing actual measured range tests in their reviews? Come on Coop772...

Yo, not everyone needs a little number to confirm that their blaster is firing far. My stage two kit is hitting around 70' flat. If you don't want to trust me, I don't fucking care.

I was using stock darts.

On the other hand, the guy who posted before me used the word 'fuck' a lot so he probably knows what he's talking about.

#70 AznTrix

AznTrix

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 12:55 AM

If the problem is the plunger tube being too heavy to move quickly, would swapping the aluminum plunger tube for the plastic one help but keeping the aluminum bolt help?

#71 evilbunnyo

evilbunnyo

• Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 03:00 AM

I thought it was supposed to be shiny metal like the other one? And if it really is that heavy and decreases range doesn't that mean its just a waste of money.

Coop yours didn't have issues if you got 70 so I guess his was just not working then?
Silence is golden but duct tape is silver

#72 Kyrativ

Kyrativ

• Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 01:02 PM

I'm gonna order one of these for m longstrike within the week, I'll let you guys know how it performs.

NERFSTRONG #44

#73 bennorco

bennorco

• Members
  • 126 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 01:33 PM

I thought it was shiny and smooth. This looks rough and ugly, lol.

Edited by bennorco, 22 August 2011 - 08:17 PM.

Buy this stuff^

#74 Keo

Keo

• Members
  • 232 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 03:54 PM

I'm gonna order one of these for m longstrike within the week, I'll let you guys know how it performs.

Have you or will you do the other stuff they recommend like taping the breech hole, putting tape under the O ring and air restrictor removal ? Because i'd be quite curious as to the performance level of the kit with the stuff they also advise.

#75 Kyrativ

Kyrativ

• Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 07:39 PM

Yeah I've already done all that, when I buy a gun it doesn't go more than 3 hours before it gets cracked open lol.

NERFSTRONG #44

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users