My Scout Went to the doctor today

Quirky medical mod.

11 replies to this topic

#1 makeitgo

makeitgo

• Members
  • 216 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 02:49 PM

***EDIT I can't change the title. It's an Element/Disk Shot. My bad.

I decided not to put this in the mod/paint section just yet because from the outside it looks pretty stock aside from the barrel. A paint job is coming but I decided to post this now because it made me laugh.

Posted Image

You can see from the top pic that it has an extended draw and an internally couplered barrel of 4" of 0.5" CPVC nested inside 3.5" of aluminium. Not a big deal, I know.

...but it's what's on the inside that counts, right?

During one of the film shoots I was on 4 weeks ago, there was a scene in a hospital. The hospital location was actually in our local College. I was surprised that they had such a facility and was even more surprised that it was a fully functional hospital/emergency centre. I'm telling you, they had at least 25 beds with monitors and a full on ER!...

Anyway, as we were wrapping up I stumbled upon a few things kinda 'swept under the rug'. After some kind words, I was allowed to take a few of the said items home.

This is what I did with them.

Upon opening up the DS/Element, it is immediately noticeable that I have replaced the plunger tube.

Posted Image

...haha. That's right. I put a syringe in that bitch!

Posted Image

Posted Image

I made the syringe about 0.5" longer than the stock plunger. It's also about 0.25" wider in diameter. The shell has been dremeled out to accommodate the Syringe.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I chose not to use the whole length of the syringe because I knew I was using the Triple Shot spring and wanted it slightly pre-compressed. I actually wound up using a similar industrial spring as well.

Posted Image

I used a metal rod and epoxy putty to help reinforce the plunger rod.

I also deepened the catch notch so the catch could seat in more securely.

Posted Image

...I know it's kind of hard to see.

Posted Image

I'm getting 80+ feet with Slugs and Angel's Stefan's and only about 70' to 75' with my rubber heads.

Because I can't resist the cheese, it does vacuum load and it is 100% HERMETICALLY sealed! BUWHAAAAA....!!! (...I'd like a red Merlot with that please.)

Next patient, nurse!

Posted Image

***edit - answers to FAQ's -

- The original plunger head for the syringe was too tight to use affectively. ie. It caused too much friction.
- The Disk Shot/Element plunger head is actually a little too small for the syringe. I used extra layers of e-tape and 2 orings of slightly larger guages than the stock o-ring.
- The coupler in the front is a CPVC coupler nested inside a PVC coupler. In hind sight, this was unnecessary. But I had already gooped them together.
- Shell minimization is not planned. I want the surface area to create a more than awesome paintjob.
- This mod would work for a Nitefinder as well.

Edited by makeitgo, 25 May 2011 - 06:32 PM.

"...he is one speedy bastard." ~ Cheyner

#2 andtheherois

andtheherois

• Banned
  • 821 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 03:00 PM

Awesome use of spare medical supplies, lol. Did you think about using the syringe head as the new plunger head? or would that not work?
The YooToobz
Photobucket

Winning rounds is rewarding, deal with it. We don't play fucking patty cake over here.

#3 landstricker

landstricker

• Members
  • 209 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 03:25 PM

Did you put a cpvc coupler inside of a pvc coupler at the front?

#4 Boot

Boot

• Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 05:56 PM

Great use of the syringe. One of the great things about medical supplies is that they are machined to amazing tolerances. Syringes (with the original plunger heads) are more or less perfectly airtight making them great to use in valves etc. It's great to know that the NF plunger head actually fits though. Did you not use the syringe head due to friction issues?
If you try to shoot over 45 feet with a magstrike accurately you fail

I beg to differ

#5 yksnerf

yksnerf

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 May 2011 - 06:38 PM

Finally validated on NerfHaven!
First off, MIG, great idea and use of a syringe, it's really creative. I have had one of these syringes and was wondering about it's uses for Nerf.

Did you not use the syringe head due to friction issues?

The syringe head (at least in mine) has a very tight fit inside the syringe tube. My guess is it would have friction issues. Also, the head is not screwed onto the "Syringe Rod" and you would need to cut it off, which wouldn't work because I cannot think of an adhesive strong enough to hold the head on.

If you mean just the rubber seal of it, I doubt it would fit onto the plunger head straight, causing seal issues.

~yksnerf
I'm a regular member!

#6 proplus

proplus

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 26 May 2011 - 10:07 PM

Very well made,
have you considered using a pre compressed [k26]?
You might break 90-100 feet flat.
"the peinus itself is a handle"

- Kane the medeocre

#7 makeitgo

makeitgo

• Members
  • 216 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 12:16 PM

Very well made,
have you considered using a pre compressed [k26]?
You might break 90-100 feet flat.

I don't have access to that spring. McMaster Carr, doesn't ship to Canada as far as I know.

I get most my springs from a local Mom and Pop hardware store, Preston Hardware.
The company that makes them is from Quebec.

Posted Image

Some of those look impressive but there's no way they can be used in a foam blaster. The really beefy one in the middle at the bottom is rated at 272 POUNDS MAX LOAD. The 2 longer skinnier ones to the right at the bottom are rated at 130 pounds max load. The one at the very top right corner is the one I use in my Octos and quads. It's rated at 36 pounds max load. And the one I add in my pistols like the Element above is the spring smack dab in the middle just above the beefy one. It's rated at 38 pound max load.

Edited by makeitgo, 28 May 2011 - 05:38 PM.

"...he is one speedy bastard." ~ Cheyner

#8 veto

veto

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 05:17 PM

It's really great that you have access to all those different springs. Also, great use of the syringe. I bet that if you put a [k26] spring in there (cut down, of course) you could ranges up in the 80-90s. Is it possible to add lubrication to the syringe or is there just to much friction?

#9 veto

veto

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 05:21 PM

Did you only put that syringe in as a plunger tube to get more length, or did you use it to get a better seal? It's also great that you have access to all those springs because my Home Depot only has a few spring.

#10 ScoutsIX3

ScoutsIX3

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 07:08 PM

Very nice mod makeitgo! I love your mods so far, and am extremely jealous of your mom and pop store with such a nice selection of springs.

#11 Carbon

Carbon

Contriberator

• Moderators
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 11:23 AM

Nice use of the syringe as a replacement plunger tube!

For people asking about using the syringe plunger as the plunger head, I tried that a few years ago when I made a syringe popgun. The plunger head has a perfect seal, but it's meant to go slowly, and even shaving it down slightly didn't fix that. Also, attempting to lubricate it caused it to almost lock up in the tube...they're meant to be lubricated with water (which makes sense, based on their intended purpose).
Hello. I am Indigo of the Rainbow Clan. You Nerfed my father. Prepare to die.

#12 sublimedom777

sublimedom777

• Members
  • 468 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 01:04 PM

That's a pretty sick idea. And it's fun that you can have a fairly close idea of the air output. The sneak shot seems like it'll be awesome too, I love when people make the fun blasters more useful.

Last of the Sex Dwarves, Head of Waifu Relations, Fetishizer of Blasters, The Far Warring, Mini-Van Driver, Possessor of Mattels, and Warden of the Manongahela

We NERF ON all day, and FUCK OFF all night

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users