Jump to content


Photo

Longshot Issues


4 replies to this topic

#1 BobRedshirt

BobRedshirt

    Member

  • Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 06:33 PM

Alright, first, a disclaimer: I've made a topic about this before, but I couldn't find it again, and I don't feel like the first one produced any real results.

I've put Angel Breaches on several longshots now, and all of them have had this problem: the little orange nub that attaches to the brass breach always breaks off. I've tried a variety of adhesives: Fishin' Glue, other cyanoacrylate super glues, plumber's goop, and JB Weld. So far, the JB Weld seems to have worked the best - my longshot has yet to break with it. However, I did the same thing for my friend's longshot, and it didn't last more than a week or two. The fishin' glue, which I specially ordered for this purpose, broke as I was reattaching the nub to the bolt sled, before I even managed to prime it. Using more of the bolt to attach the new breach has also not helped.

Thus, my question is this: what am I missing? Is there some technique that I need to prevent the bond from breaking? Some ridiculously strong glue that can stand up to the forces put on that tiny nub? Any help would be appreciated.
  • 0

#2 shardbearer

shardbearer

    Member

  • Members
  • 177 posts
  • Location:San Francisco
  • State:California
  • Country:United States
  • u/ahalekelly on Reddit

Posted 14 May 2011 - 07:34 PM

Do you score the brass and nub? For adhesives, I reccomend slow curing epoxy (fast is brittle) or urethane based glue such as "3M Scotch Weld 3532 B/A Urethane Adhesive".

Edited by shardbearer, 14 May 2011 - 07:37 PM.

  • 0

#3 andtheherois

andtheherois

    Member

  • Banned
  • 821 posts
  • Location:North Brunswick
  • State:New Jersey
  • Country:United States

Posted 14 May 2011 - 09:46 PM

To solve your problem, you'll want to cut a strip of plastic so that you get the "nose" of the bolt, the nub, and a bit of the back of the bolt as a strip (as wide as the nub should do it,~3" long). This gives you a lot of surface area to stick together. you then rough up the brass and the bottom of this strip and you stick it on with any CA glue. That's how I solved my problem with the little nub and it works very well. I've only used loctite glue on my breeches, but it shouldn't make a difference unless you're using some super cheap shit.

Edited by andtheherois, 14 May 2011 - 09:48 PM.

The YooToobz
Photobucket

Winning rounds is rewarding, deal with it. We don't play fucking patty cake over here.


#4 SgNerf

SgNerf

    Member

  • Members
  • 204 posts
  • Country:Singapore

Posted 15 May 2011 - 02:40 AM

BobRedshirt,

I used to have that issue with the small bolt attachment nub in the original angel breech mod, its okay for lower strength springs, but when heavier springs are used, the small attachment point tends to snap off after some usage.

Like what andtheheros mentioned, i also use a design with larger adhesive contact area between the bolt attachment and the brass bolt too.

You can refer to my Longshot brass breech guide which shows an example of how the larger bolt attachment contact area is done:

http://modworks.blog...-mod-guide.html

I use Selleys Super Strong 2-part Epoxy glue (clamped with 3-day cure time) with the larger bolt attachment contact area, and so far i have been able to use spring loads up to 20kg+ (along with reinforced boltsleds) and the attachment still holds.
  • 0
Nerf News & Reviews! >> http://www.sgnerf.blogspot.com
Nerf Mod Guides! >> http://www.modworks.blogspot.com

#5 interflop

interflop

    Member

  • Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 07:00 AM

I second what SgNerf suggested. I've never had my bolt nub snap from using his design. My bolt sled would always snap before the bolt nub.
  • 0


0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users