Photo

Padding For Plunger Head

what do you use and where did you get it?

15 replies to this topic

#1 xvitox

xvitox

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 04:22 PM

Hello,
I am pretty new to the forums and have been looking around a little bit. I cannot seem to find much information on what kind of padding people use on the plunger head. If you have padded the head of the plunger, what did you use? And where did you get it? I went to home depot to get some silicone door bumpers and all they had were felt. Thanks!

#2 Hipponater

Hipponater

• Members
  • 297 posts
  • State:Wisconsin

Posted 02 December 2010 - 04:27 PM

Felt would have worked well. Also, the discs from old foam disc shooters work well, as do sections of arrows from BBBs. Or you can buy a 'toilet gasket' from the hardware store and cut off pieces of that. If you're desperate, FBR can work for a short while.

#3 shmmee

shmmee

• Members
  • 467 posts
  • State:Utah

Posted 02 December 2010 - 04:30 PM

Many use craft foam (sold at most craft stores). It's a 1/8" or 1/4" foam sheet. Felt might work. I've tried using a slice of foam from a "fun noodle" (pool floatation thing) but it ended up getting loose, and clogging the barrel.
"and we should respect the people who make our blasters. Even if we do molest the hell out of them..."
~BritNerfMogul

#4 Blue

Blue

• Members
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 05:39 PM

Many use craft foam (sold at most craft stores). It's a 1/8" or 1/4" foam sheet. Felt might work. I've tried using a slice of foam from a "fun noodle" (pool floatation thing) but it ended up getting loose, and clogging the barrel.

Craft foam is the way to go, it's all I use. Thin layer of hotglue then stick a cut out piece on it, you can use more foam the more force you have.

#5 utahnerf

utahnerf

• Members
  • 339 posts
  • Location:Grosse Pointe Park, Michigan in summer; Aspen, CO for school.

Posted 02 December 2010 - 06:01 PM

Just make sure you rough up the area that you are applying the padding to with heavy grit sandpaper.

#6 xvitox

xvitox

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 07:56 PM

Thanks everyone this all helped a lot. I am planning on doing an LS mod, and wanted to know how to do this before I put a stronger spring on the gun.

#7 VelveetaAvenger

VelveetaAvenger

• Members
  • 630 posts
  • State:Minnesota

Posted 02 December 2010 - 09:01 PM

I just used one of the foam spacers from a pack of cd-r's. They're like craft foam, but already in a circle!

↓ I've used them for turret seals a couple of times as well. They're definitely worth checking out.

Edited by VelveetaAvenger, 02 December 2010 - 09:13 PM.

"I never saw Beastmaster, I just wanted to be cool..."

#8 Nerf Gra

Nerf Gra

• Members
  • 145 posts
  • State:Virginia

Posted 02 December 2010 - 09:05 PM

^That could be the most helpful thing I've seen in a while.^

Thank you.
QUOTE(VelveetaAvenger @ Dec 6 2010, 12:14 AM) View Post

Maybe there's no Mcmaster, but you could make the first coconut airtank.

#9 ieatfood

ieatfood

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 09:44 PM

So honestly, Craft foam is pretty much the best I guess? If your using clipped guns I wouldn't use felt because it cannot compress enough to load in clips. (I tried it on my Longstrike)
I am NOT FAT!

#10 Blue

Blue

• Members
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 01:49 AM

Thanks everyone this all helped a lot. I am planning on doing an LS mod, and wanted to know how to do this before I put a stronger spring on the gun.

Be careful, I did this and it messed up the timing so that it primed earlier than before, thus making the clip release not work. I had to sand down the bolt so that it used less of an already short barrel, which was unfortunate. I only did an AR removal though, if you are making something else it will be fine.

#11 Kid Flash

Kid Flash

• Members
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 02:15 AM

Be careful, I did this and it messed up the timing so that it primed earlier than before, thus making the clip release not work. I had to sand down the bolt so that it used less of an already short barrel, which was unfortunate. I only did an AR removal though, if you are making something else it will be fine.

How exactly does padding the plunger head and adding a spring mess up the timing on a longshot? I'm sorry, I just got lost. But, I have already added a spring and plan on putting some foam on my plunger head so I wanted to make sure nothing bad will happen.

#12 Blue

Blue

• Members
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 02:37 AM

How exactly does padding the plunger head and adding a spring mess up the timing on a longshot? I'm sorry, I just got lost. But, I have already added a spring and plan on putting some foam on my plunger head so I wanted to make sure nothing bad will happen.

The foam makes the plunger rod stick out further, so when you prime it it takes less stroke for it to catch. I probably made the bolt piece a bit too big with the hotglue dead space removal I did to it as well. Anyways, if it catches before the end of the stroke the bolt won't be far enough back to take clips out normally, no big deal if you are just jamming the clips in with the bolt closed. Hopefully that explains it...

#13 Kid Flash

Kid Flash

• Members
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 02:40 AM

Oh, I get it. The foam keeps the part of the bolt a little further forward. I might just have to jam the clip in, or use a raider drum so I don't have to reload as often... Thanks for the explanation. I had a dumb moment.

#14 Exo

Exo

• Members
  • 391 posts
  • State:California

Posted 21 December 2010 - 06:12 PM

I put a peice of 1/8" craft foam in my Recon, and it isn't hard to reload at all. You only have to hold the slide back a pinch while putting the clip in. Or, you could remove the clip lock and push it in with the bolt forward, but that might be hard on your clips.

#15 wingd man

wingd man

• Members
  • 514 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 01:10 PM

Although craft foam works temporarily, it has to be replaced after maybe 50-100 shots, otherwise all you have is, essentially, a piece of paper. Gaskets will take much longer to flatten. I usually use O-rings as padding, as it deadens the noise enough to give it a "thud" instead of a "crashing noise that makes your ears hurt and sounds like your gun breaking", and will last until the rubber wears away, which won't happen until long after you've stopped nerfing.

#16 TantumBull

TantumBull

• Moderators
  • 1,929 posts
  • State:Washington
  • u/LukeKoboJobo on Reddit

Posted 22 December 2010 - 02:01 PM

As wing'd man pointed out, craft foam flattens out fairly quickly. Rubber is probably going to be the best choice as far as longevity goes, but it isn't often that compressible. That's why I use toilet gaskets, as Hipponater suggested, because they are made of foam-rubber, which combines the compressibility of foam with the longevity of rubber.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users