Stampede Official Nerf Demo Coverage

Gizmodo tries out and reviews the upcoming gun

84 replies to this topic

#51 KitAdrian

KitAdrian

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 10:54 AM

cut it off just forward of where the darts clear the clip/breach, eliminate all plastic behind the grip not required for the main housing, relocate the batteries (on gun/off gun your pref) and i forsee mad dual wield pistol possibilities.

I have *never* understood why anyone would create a long 'barrel' for nerf darts when the get their force from leaving the chamber.

Eliminating the plastic behind the grip not required for the main housing and relocating the batteries as you suggest would actually make this blaster more unwieldy. Unlike the Vulcan, which was extremely rear heavy, the Stampede is well balanced. Moving the batteries anywhere else would alter the weight distribution of this blaster, which I was told they researched thoroughly. They learned a lot of lessons from the Vulcan. The battery pack doesn't seem to be a power sled like the Vulcan was either. The battery chambers are the back of the blaster behind the grip, and the travel range for the plunger system also goes back there, so I don't think you will be able to remove or relocate anything without negating the benefits of this blaster design.

As for removing the cosmetic barrel at the front, there isn't much you can remove without also cutting off tactical rails. If you lose the bottom one, you have nowhere to mount the combination bipod/grip. Cut back further and you lose the rail that the shield is mounted upon.

I don't think simple "hack and slash" modifications will benefit you on this one. If you want to modify it, it will take some more thought and precision, like the RFSG did to produce the Doomsayer.

Someone will figure it out, for sure.

The ultimate "pistol" minimization would require the removal of the batteries altogether. Perhaps replacing them with RC car batteries that are worn as a pack, rather than included in the body of the blaster.

#52 Talio

Talio

Not your mother

• Contributors
  • 2,781 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 11:25 AM

Wow. You know I never really read these threads normally, but you kids really love talking out of your asses huh?

Talio.
New posts on my blog, check it out. - Click on the ad too, cause I get money per click. Give back to the Admin team for once!

#53 LiterSize

LiterSize

• Members
  • 295 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 11:56 AM

Just to address the question of the bipod and shield. They held on sturdy enough. The shield didn't flop around when I tried running a bit. And the foregrip shouldn't come off unless you are doing it WRONG.

#54 Ner Commando

Ner Commando

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 08:37 PM

I'm all about indoor wars. This is for me!

#55 mbisc8

mbisc8

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 09:28 PM

I need to get some brass to breech this baby.

Edited by mbisc8, 18 July 2010 - 09:29 PM.

I like things.

#56 MavericK96

MavericK96

• Members
  • 229 posts

Posted 18 July 2010 - 09:52 PM

I can't imagine the batteries would run out that quickly. I've got the Vulcan and I've fired many, many belts through it and the batteries are still going strong. That's the advantage of having those huge D batteries in there, lots of mAh.

I think for what you get with this (3 extended clips + (possibly) 1 standard clip, shield, foregrip) this blaster is totally worth $50. I'll definitely be picking one up when it comes out.

#57 Chadpuff

Chadpuff

• Members
  • 165 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 08:37 AM

I cant wait to get my hands on one! Sadly enough I can already see people painting them black.
"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." ...Han Solo

#58 Galaxy613

Galaxy613

• Members
  • 999 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 09:17 AM

Sadly enough I can already see people painting them black.

Yeah. "Hurr durr I wanna get shot by police!" <_<
[Former Caretaker of the Guru Mk2]

#59 Draconis

Draconis

I am not Lord Draconical

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 02:24 PM

So basically their focus group wants nerf to be more like airsoft. It makes sense considering the recent obsession over COD.

I suppose if one is speaking in geologic scale, then "recent" might actually refer to the obsession of Hasbro's target demographic with first-person shooter games. But specifically "Call of Duty" is a silly example, considering the plethora of games in the last fifteen years.
[15:51] <+Noodle> titties
[15:51] <+Rhadamanthys> titties
[15:51] <+jakejagan> titties
[15:51] <+Lucian> boobs
[15:51] <+Gears> titties
[15:51] <@Draconis> Titties.
[15:52] <+Noodle> why is this so hard?

#60 SchizophrenicMC

SchizophrenicMC

• Members
  • 390 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 12:33 AM

This is gonna be worth a buy, even if it sucks and/or breaks, just for the novelty value. A repeating Nerf blaster that weighs less than 16 pounds.

Plus, as has been said before, it'll be a riot at indoor wars.
QUOTE(NerfUK @ May 8 2009, 11:54 AM) View Post

(I forgot to take a picture of my own poppers)

QUOTE(analogkid @ May 20 2009, 10:04 PM) View Post

Every size rod you could ever want.

#61 death by cheez

death by cheez

• Members
  • 758 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 04:41 PM

Just keep one in the box for about 10 years, then sell it as such: a novelty. Might as well make a few bucks if you can, eh?

http://fairview.dead...eadfrontier.com

Great game, zombie apocalypse MMORPG. I'm acer34p3r on there.

#62 Galaxy613

Galaxy613

• Members
  • 999 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 04:47 PM

Just keep one in the box for about 10 years, then sell it as such: a novelty. Might as well make a few bucks if you can, eh?

Anybody want to buy one or both of the NIB Vulcans I still have from the original Value Pack release?

... yeah, I didn't think so.

If the Stampede is more reliable than the Vulcan, then it could be a different situation. Plus Vulcans are still widely available.
[Former Caretaker of the Guru Mk2]

#63 death by cheez

death by cheez

• Members
  • 758 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 09:57 PM

Stick them on ebay, you might find a moron willing to buy them! Besides, NIB mint is better then no box POS, eh?

#64 Paragon19

Paragon19

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 01:06 PM

Well I don't like the lack of manual priming handle, but this seems like a valuable blaster for HvZ, so I'm definitely considering getting one and slapping in my drum. Though I don't get why everyone keeps talking about the shield and grip, both seem useless to me.

#65 Vinnie D

Vinnie D

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 09:44 PM

The vulcan still does kind of fill a niche in a way. the 25 shot belt is still more than the stampede's extended clips (not sure if the stampede will work with a drum, that might throw the timing off). So if you just need a long stream of automatic fire it might be functional. Plus I still like its overall look. Maybe not a functional gun but it certainly is a fun type of gun.

With an expanded ammo box, and doubled chains, and a plug in mod, the vulcan can still function as a stationary emplacement. Though the Stampede is certainly a sturdier and more mobile kind of gun. I'd say it fills the role of a machine gun. Light and high rate of fire, while the Vulcan is a stationary machine gun, big, heavy and high capacity.

Though it seems most of the N-strike series is centered around the idea of every gun being just slightly different, to fill different niches. Like the Alpha Trooper which is basically a more balanced raider at the cost of smaller capacity, or the Deploy which is a good light secondary weapon. Not as light as a pistol recon, but the pump grip gives it better handling, for a higher rate of fire.

Still the Stampede does look like a solid weapon for those who love high rate of fire. I do wonder about modding potential. Outside of minimization I don't see much you can do without messing it up. I'm hoping this means that Vulcans go on clearance. I've been meaning to pick one up on the cheap to screw around with.

#66 Ner Commando

Ner Commando

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 09:48 PM

BTW, this isn't the 9.9.10 gun is it? Because if it was, that'd be a little bit of a let down. <_<

#67 jerm78

jerm78

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 10:28 PM

This has got to be a heavy blaster with all them D batteries. I hope some stores like Target let it slip out a little early, fingers crossed.

#68 death by cheez

death by cheez

• Members
  • 758 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 10:35 PM

I can trust the local target to put them out a few weeks early, they've done so with every new blaster for the past 2 years.

#69 mrdennings

mrdennings

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 10:54 PM

Was there any discussion and or some unseen item/product/pocket to deal with clip managment/storage? Does the stampeed by chance have a slot like the longshot to hold an extra clip in it? Now before people start spamming me about the tac vest and the bandoleer yes i know both exist or will soon but neither one of those have been shown with the enlongated clips on em and I'm wondering if this was taken into considderation when either of these products were being designed? Also did the topic of Dart Mutilation come up at all when discussing the new clips? I know that this probably isnt a big issue with nerf as destroyed darts only means more dart sales for nerf but i already have issues with my 6 round clips smashing the hell out of my darts I dont even want to think of what the tension on these things will do to em.

#70 eversor-revertimortuus

eversor-revertimortuus

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 11:18 PM

Yes, this is the 9-9-10 Blaster, no, it's not really that heavy. It's actually pretty comfortable and well balanced.

No, it doesn't have anywhere for clip storage, but the new clips don't use the same type of springs as the 6 dart clips, and they seemed to have a decent push to them without being too strong.
I am Mr. K of AFoN - The Adult Fans of Nerf blog.

#71 LiterSize

LiterSize

• Members
  • 295 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 11:39 PM

I can attest to what eversor says. Come to think of it, I wonder if the new ammo pouches with the camo ammo can fit the new 18 rounders. That was something I neglected to check. Also, we didn't have a loose version of the tactical vest to try on or anything, so we couldn't check the holders against the 18 rounders. In this case we'll just have to wait and see.

#72 death by cheez

death by cheez

• Members
  • 758 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 12:34 PM

# DPCI: 087-11-0119
# ASIN: B003774W6Q
# Catalog #: 12255758 (thanks to Wes7143 for this information)

Go get it early guys, those are the Target numbers for it. Use the DPCI number. I'd get it myself, but I need the money for a church camp I'm attending.

Edited by death by cheez, 22 July 2010 - 12:36 PM.

#73 SpectreX

SpectreX

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 03:07 PM

Go get it early guys, those are the Target numbers for it. Use the DPCI number. I'd get it myself, but I need the money for a church camp I'm attending.

Maybe not just yet. I had a bunch of time to kill today, so I did the rounds to see what I could find in stores. For reference I'm in Buffalo, NY, so stores in your area might be different. However, I can report that it would seem no Stampedes have been shipped to stores here yet.

If you're going to a Target it's really easy to check what they have in stock without dealing with a person. Just find one of those barcode scanners they have in the aisles for price checking. It should have number buttons running down the side, and you can type in the DPCI number and have it check that store's inventory. The none Target stores I went to had any in stock, but the screen does come up with "Nerf Stampede $49.99" when you enter the DPCI number.

Toys R' Us is a little more tricky because they don't seem to have a way for you to check for yourself without assistance. I got lucky and ran into an employee roughly my age who likes to put car batteries into Power-Wheels, so he found the concept of Nerf modding cool and he was more than happy to help me out. He not only checked in the back room of the store I was in, but he also had the lady at the customer service desk use their inventory computer to check all of the stores in the Buffalo area. Nada. You'll want the numbers from this page (specifically the listed "item number" 460315) if you're going hunting at Toys R' Us, and their computers say they have it for $54.99.

I think people being able to order them off the Toys R' Us website for a few hours the other day must be based upon distribution warehouse stock if they're not just bsing completely, because I've seen at least one person claiming that theirs shipped

Happy Hunting, but I think it might not be worth looking for a few weeks yet.

#74 GeshmanWG

GeshmanWG

• Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 03:43 PM

Does anyone know if the Target and the TRU package will contain the same things and the same amount of clips?

#75 Lion

Lion

• Members
  • 244 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 04:31 PM

Does anyone know if the Target and the TRU package will contain the same things and the same amount of clips?

I would say yes, TRU in my area tend to have every thing $5 more then anywhere else.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users