Umd Dart Of War 3

July 18th DC area war

31 replies to this topic

#26 Shockwave

Shockwave

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 08:58 PM

Sounds like it was alot of fun! I wanted to come by and watch but couldn't get down there.

#27 dizzyduck

dizzyduck

• Members
  • 627 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 09:43 PM

I agree with VACC. It was definitely the best location I've nerfed indoors, but the idle time between rounds spent trying to get everything together was a bit frustrating. The last round of the day - Team Anarchy - was a whole lot of fun, but just about everyone who stayed that late agreed that it should have been played a lot earlier in the day when more people were around.

I went to DAW last year and things went more smoothly than this year's event. We started with a big 4-team Deathmatch and all the rounds were decided upon within 10 minutes of the previous round ending. I'm not sure what changed this go-round, but it definitely had a different feel to it.

All in all a fun war.
Duck off.
Art & Stuff

#28 Doom

Doom

NH's Official In-House Physicist

• Administrators
  • 559 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 10:40 PM

I'll agree about the time management at this war. It was terrible. Fortunately this is an easily fixed problem.

Disagree. Your Free Thought Club is hosting a homemades-only war. Get to it.

I've considered it, but I'm not really sure if we could do it because of the limits on number of reservations we could make. I'll have to do some more research into it. Incidentally, I forgot to reserve our room for next semester, so I'll ask when I'm in the reservations office tomorrow.

Yes, don't you want to use your Fang, Doom?

That would be nice, yeah, but any bans on homemades are irrelevant at this point; what precludes me from using anything I've made is that I have a tendency to recycle my guns. FANG 4 should be done in a week and a half if work during the coming weekend is productive.

I've been thinking along some of what you and I discussed at the war VACC (Well, at least what I could understand; my hearing loss has caused me to misunderstand things). It is perplexing that these folks are dedicated enough to organize a major war like this but they don't seem to know much else about the hobby. I think I have the solution.

We need mod parties. I'm thinking organizing something on a regular basis where a bunch of us get together at a machine shop and work on a few projects would really help with #1. I'm going to see what I can do along these lines; if I can get the NAS to promote these events, even better.

Now for some more war recapping...

I used a RTP for the first round and part of the second, which worked pretty damn well even with my loose aluminum barrel and crappy slugs, but unfortunately the catch broke. Split mentioned he'll make it thicker when he rebuilds that part.

The freight elevator was one of the best parts as VACC mentioned.

During the CTF round, I was walking in front of the elevator on the third floor, where my team's flag was. Out of nowhere the freight elevator doors opened and there was like 15 people inside. I immediately thought "FUCK!"

VACC (or someone with Slugs) shot me on the nail of my middle finger on my right hand. That hurt like a bitch for about 10 seconds, but I must say it was worthwhile; I can't wait to do that again.

I couldn't help but being reminded of first person shooters at this war, especially during the last round I did (second to last overall).

I think I was killed more often in stairwells than anywhere else. People tend to camp there and wait for others to walk up. I was more careful in the last rounds.

There was a lot of strategy at this war. Hiding was the main strategy. Sometimes the strategies used were stupid; dizzy, DX, ZtM?, and I had VACC, TED, Split, and Gears trapped for a while in a team round, but we just wasted time. Other times it surprised me. During the last HvZ round, two guys from the orange team tried to come around through a door I wasn't aware of. ZtM did know about this door though, and we prevented them from coming through.

When I turned into a zombie in the last HvZ round, I wasn't aware the guy who got me was a zombie. He was wearing a hat and the ribbon didn't register to me as indicating to me he was a zombie. I guess I subconsciously thought he had a stripe on his hat. This is a pretty lame way to end the war, but I certainly will be more careful next time.

The last HvZ round was by far my best. I was shot only once and I probably took out 5 to 8 others. I was a lot more cautious that round and I also seemed to do better in the firefights.

There's a lot more I could write about, but I'll leave it at this for now.

Edited by Doom, 19 July 2010 - 10:41 PM.

#29 smeagolsaur

smeagolsaur

• Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 06:27 PM

Damn, I'm sad to have missed this. Didn't even realize this was happening until I stumbled upon this thread. Shame on me for being a Maryland alumn and failing to know about this.

An easier alternative to getting a whole bunch of people to supply slug darts would be to outlaw non-stock darts so that everyone's on the same playing field. I understand that the higher performance darts will grant more viability to long range battles but I think it would be pretty hard to get 30 people to do it unless they've had previous exposure to DIY nerf.

I will agree though that the ability to feel a dart hit you is necessary for games that apply the honor rule.

Which building was this in?

Edited by smeagolsaur, 22 July 2010 - 08:01 PM.

#30 T dog

T dog

• Members
  • 72 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 08:14 PM

Doom, I would so be up for mod parties. You have no idea. My current modding tool set consists of some screwdrivers a steak knife and a mini hot glue gun.

No joke.

At anyrate, I had a complete blast. Its been 4 days and my legs still aren't fully recovered.

Onto the recap!

I used my dual nite-mavs during the entire day and couldn't have been happier with their performance! Their rate of fire and range were perfect for the arena and they were consistent the entire day. So far they have survived 3 wars and 2 weeks of HVZ. Expect a write up in the near future!

I know most disagree, but my favorite round was by far the capture the flag round because it was over an hour of solid nerfing. I didn't even care that the game was completely unwinnable for either team. Riding the in crate elevator to the third floor and raping the orange team was hilarious. Vacc, you were totally robbed.

The zombie rounds were also amazing. I love this type of game play because even when you are out you still get to play. It was great reuniting the sundial strikers... and then turning on them shortly there after. At one point my team purposefully got trapped on the stairwell in the atrium (we thought it would be fun. It was.) and I had a pair of Effeminate shots hitting both Vacc and Split throught the small gaps in the glass railings. Definately one of the highlights of my day. I also realized that I make a terrible zombie. I think I only got one zombie kill the entire day (sorry John, but your brains were delicious). Doom, I envy your amazing brain munching skillz.

The worst round by far was VIP. The game's rules weren't well thought out, my team's strategy wasn't well thought out, and it ended up being really lame. About 2/3s of my team (pink i think) had no idea were the VIP was and we got owned. Hard.

I also got my first nerf welt from this war which I feel is a nerfing rite of passage, like a bar mitzvah. Unfortunatley it was from friendly fire, so as far as rites of passages go it was more like eating a couple bran muffins.

I have to agree that this war was not as well run as it could have been and this is a problem that comes up again and again when I go to UMD events. Sometimes it seems to me that the people who come to these things are more interested in hanging out and talking than nerfing which is increadibly frustraiting. That being said, the fun outweighs the frustration... usually.
Grains not brains!

#31 stealthninja6400

stealthninja6400

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 08:29 PM

Can you maybe make another war please? I would love to go.

#32 Talio

Talio

Not your mother

• Contributors
  • 2,781 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 08:48 PM

Consider your hand slapped. Now knock it off before I smack something that really hurts.
New posts on my blog, check it out. - Click on the ad too, cause I get money per click. Give back to the Admin team for once!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users