Saturday, August 28th, 2010
10:00 am until we are beat (probably around 5:00-6:00 pm)
Please try to arrive a bit early (~9:45) so that the first round can start promptly at 10:00 am.
Glenwood Park Elementary School in Fort Wayne, IN
This is simply an awesome location for a war! As you can see in the above image, there are lots of trees to use for cover, but spread out enough to allow for lots of room to maneuver. There are also two different playground areas that might also be usable for CTF or other objective games - I don't have any shots of them yet though.
Yes, that's right - free stuff!
What am I getting on about? Well, my co-host, Gettin Nerf'd, has decided to "sponsor" this war by offering up a generous supply of swag that will be handed out to attendees on a first-come-first-served basis. We aren't just talking stickers here - we're talking exciting stuff, like free Nerf blasters! Here is what my co-host has to say about this:
Gettin Nerf'd here,
So, how this will work, all attendees will check in and receive an "Event Badge" with a place for your name. (This will help others identify who you are, that you are part of the event, and that you are "game" unlike an innocent bystander walking across the grass knoll.) On the back of the badge you will have a specific number addressed to your filled in name. Every half hour starting at 10am, we will draw a prize and then a winner. You MUST be present and have your badge to claim your prize, otherwise you forfeit and a new number is redrawn.
Now for the legal part (Boo, I know),
*Once your number is drawn, your number is discarded from the draw pile. However, if you have other family members there, they are still eligible until they are drawn. Any volunteers of the event are NOT excluded from winning, except me.
Items MIB that are up for giveaway include:
Titan Unity System (1)
Recon (Yellow) (3)
Big Salvo (2)
Big Bad Bows (2)
Nite Finders (5)
Recon (Red) (1)
Raider (Double Darts) (1)
Shadow Fury Sword (1)
Thunder Fury Sword (1)
Marauder Sword (2)
Warlock Battle Axe (1)
Battlemaster Mace (1)
Clear Mavericks (2)
Clear Nitefinders (2)
Clear Recons (2)
Clear Deploys (2)
Belt Blaster (1)
Double Shot (1)
If there are other items that you would like to see thrown in the pool, pm either Ambience327, or me (Gettin Nerf'd) and we will see if it is doable!
Our gracious host has also "twisted my arm" to allow me to persuade you brethren to show up early and on time so we can have a great event, therefore, 30 - 40 Nerf blasters will be given away on a first come, first served basis as a "Thank you" for setting your alarm clocks. That is it for me, look forward to meeting you all bright and early.
Some details are still being hammered out, and these will be limited in quantity - but unless way more people come than we are expecting, you stand a good chance of getting something cool - especially if you show up on-time, (hint, hint, wink, wink).
What to bring:
- A Primary (more than one is a good idea - in case you have breakage!)
- A single-shot pistol (should shoot around 50 feet of less, and require both loading & cocking for each shot - speed loader/turrets/etc will not be allowed for pistol-only rounds)
- Darts - EDIT - Ryan McNumbers has confirmed he is attending, and bringing his "dart bucket of doom". We will be asking everyone to use these darts if possible so that dart sweeps will be quicker/more efficient.
- Eye protection - anyone under 18 MUST wear it. 18+ at your discretion, and at your own risk.
- Lunch / Money - There are lots of fast food places within a 10 minute drive. You are of course welcome to bring a bag lunch and eat on the field during the lunch break.
- Water (Cups will be provided and cold water will be available in case it is extremely hot.)
- Proper clothing - It will most likely be rather warm. Also, don't be a moron and show up in camo unless it is neon pink or something.
- Any and all missle/rocket/ball shooting weapons you might have access to. You might find they come in handy during some of the game-types, and they are always useful for breaking shields.
- Melee weapons and shields will be permitted - see below...
What not to bring:
- Dangerous blasters/darts/etc - i.e. no metal spikes, wooden "gunblades", no tack-darts, etc. Blasters will be banned if they are deemed unsafe for any reason, including firing way too hard. No blanket bans will be imposed, but it is unlikely that your singled Titan will be used unless it is fairly underpowered. (No, "I will only pump it X times" will not be acceptable!)
- Blasters or other gear that could be mistaken for actual weapons (i.e. black-painted blasters, silver "knives", etc.). These should definitely be left at home.
- Participants under 13 years old are welcome, but MUST be accompanied by a parent or a responsible adult (18+) who will assume full responsibility for the youngling's actions, attitude and safety. I will only assume responsibility for younglings that I personally bring. NO EXCEPTIONS.
- If you act like a 3-year-old, we'll send you home like a 3-year-old.
- Please clean up after yourselves - a trash bag will be provided, and everyone is expected to participate in dart-sweeps.
- Please note that there are no restrooms at the war site. Go before you get there, and go during lunch. You have been warned!
- Please keep the loud outbursts and swearing to a minimum - we will be playing in a schoolyard with nearby residential areas and don't need any residents or passers-by to have reason to complain about us.
- We will break for lunch some time around Noon or a bit later, probably for 30-45 minutes.
- I have not set up a specific game schedule. Gametypes will be determined mainly by popular opinion - but we will likely be playing mostly objective-type games (CTF, Sieze the Balls, etc). Meatgrinder will most likely be used as the first round and the post-lunch round - it is just a great way to get warmed up! I have the gear for the following objective games:
Sieze the Balls
Capture the Flag
Defend the Core
Strategic Assault (a game of my own devising - involves "destroying" the enemy base before they "destroy" yours by scoring hits on special targers)
(Details for these gametypes can be found later in this thread.)
Melee & Shield Rules
Melee weapons will be allowed, though they should conform to a few basic rules.
- No metal should be used in the construction of the Melee weapon.
- All striking surfaces should be covered with a sufficiently thick layer of foam.
- Unmodified, store-bought plastic toy lightsabers will be permitted without regard to the above two rules. Lightsabers are cool. Bonus points if you use them with batteries for that lovely hum & glow.
- Anything I deem ridiculous or dangerous will not be allowed.
- Melee weapons can be used for blocking darts just like shields (see below) - but only if they are in your hand. If your Melee weapon is holstered, a hit on it counts just like a gun hit.
(thanks to Ryan McNumbers for the basis of these Shield Rules)
You'll be limited on the maximum size of your shield depending on what blaster you're wielding. This will be the standard ruling for most gametypes. Here is the breakdown. (Your most powerful blaster is what counts here.)
Melee Only = 3 sq/ft
[The largest blocking face of the Melee weapon(s) counts as part of the maximum shield area.]
One Single shot pistol, ranges < 50' - 2 sq/ft
Anything else, ranges <50' - 1 sq/ft
Blasters shooting over 50' will not be allowed to use a shield.
Shields may be used to deflect darts - hits on shields do not count as long as the shield is in your hand, strapped to a blaster that is in your hand, or strapped to your forearm. A shield strapped/slung anywhere else will not block hits - it will count the same as a gun hit.
Balls, missiles, rockets, etc. (basically any ammo larger than a Mega dart) may not be blocked by shields or Melee weapons - a hit on a shield or Melee weapon with ammo of this type will count as a normal hit.
Shields can be made from whatever, cardboard should be reinforced with duct tape. Shields that do not meet the specifications for Melee weapons may not be used as such. (i.e. Don't go whacking people with a large wooden shield!)
Ambience 327 (host) + Guests
Gettin Nerf'd (co-host & sponsor) +1 Guest
DarkMatter +1 Guest
Ryan McNumbers + Dart Bucket/Mobstacles/Loaner Blasters/etc.
dodobeam +1 Guest
Dragonsnipe +3 Guests?
Abyss Mods + 1 Guest
Hipponater + 1-2 Guests
THE_MICHIGAN_NERFER +1-3 Guests?
qwerty + 1 Guest?
Edited by Ambience 327, 01 September 2010 - 08:25 AM.