28 replies to this topic

#1 nate the great

nate the great

• Members
  • 219 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 05:01 PM

When shopping at Home Depot this weekend I came across this:
Posted Image
It is a 1/2" PVC sprinkler extender nipple 24" long. Out of curiosity, I bought it. When I got home I was testing it as a barrel material when I saw some PETG on the floor. I tested it and Oh damn! it fit perfectly! So here is the writeup for a 100% airtight PETG breech that cost a few bucks.

Materials needed:
1/2" PVC sprinkler extender nipple 24" long
1 foot of PETG (Check Spit's sales thread)
1/2" nylon rod (8538K18)
Dremel with cutting wheel
Drill
Hot glue gun
5/8" drill bit
E-tape

Step 1
Cut 1' off the PVC nipple
Posted Image
Step 2
Cut a breech slot. Mine is 3 cm away from the end and the slot is 6 cm wide.
Posted Image
Step 3
Drill two 1/2" holes. One is 1.5 cm away from the breech slot and the other is 11cm away.
Posted Image
Step 4
Conect the outer edges of the holes you drilled and then cut the slot out. Also cut a little notch for the handle to lock in.
Posted Image
Step 5
Drill a 5/8" hole though the nylon rod 4.5 cm from the end. Also cut out a little notch so it will slide better.
Posted Image
Step 6
Slide in 1' of PETG and align it with the back off the breech. Take out you hot glue gun and glue the nylon rod in the closed position. Make sure you do not glue the rod to the PVC and the notch is facing down.
Posted Image
Step 7
The breech might be a little loose in a coupler so put one wrap of e-tape around the end.
Posted Image
Yeah! Your done. Now go shoot something!
Some pics:
Posted Image
Closed
Posted Image
Open
Posted Image
There is no PETG sticking out of the front when closed. So when you barrel tap someone the PETG dosen't snap or break.
Posted Image
This is what happens to e-tape PETG breeches.

Questions, comments, or flames?

-nate the great

Edited by nate the great, 19 April 2010 - 07:31 PM.

PRI you are a fucking idiot.

2 slingshot weights is basically a steel bullet with a foam sabot
-Mr BadWrench

You have a tampon on your gun. There's your problem.
-Hi Yah!

Join the Revolution!

#2 PETGrevolution

PETGrevolution

• Banned
  • 37 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 05:10 PM

:D Nice job Nate, I might just have to go right now and go buy some materials for these.
-Rev
Call me Rev

You call a wrap of e-tape a modification? It is just there to keep the breech more secure. Wow, you really are mentally retarted(Ryan Mcnumbers). -Nate the Great

Do it yourself and then come back.
Otherwise, Fuck off.
-Ilzot

#3 ricochet

ricochet

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 05:30 PM

Nice discovery, I could see myself using that in the near future. Nice write-up as well.

#4 Whisper101

Whisper101

• Members
  • 520 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 05:41 PM

That extender niple looks a hell of a lot like schedule 80 PVC. At least the coloring does. How's it compare? Any very nice job on the breech! It looks a bit bulky though...Just my 2 cents.

#5 nate the great

nate the great

• Members
  • 219 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 05:56 PM

That extender niple looks a hell of a lot like schedule 80 PVC. At least the coloring does. How's it compare? Any very nice job on the breech! It looks a bit bulky though...Just my 2 cents.

That's exactly what I thought! It has a little smaller od than 1/2" sch40 PVC though. I forgot to mention that when closed there is no PETG sticking out of the front so when you barrel tap someone the PETG will be safe in the PVC.

-Mr BadWrench

-Hi Yah!

Join the Revolution!

#6 SerpentofSet

SerpentofSet

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 06:23 PM

Haha, nipple.

Immaturity aside, this is pretty sweet. I like the "Eureka!" moment of the story. Makes me want to take a stroll down the aisles of Home Depot with a PETG barrel.
Whenever I'm bored, I go onto NerfHaven and start reading the closed threads with a last post by VACC.

#7 Ice Nine

Ice Nine

Prince Dangus

• Administrators
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 09:07 PM

For the record, McMaster sells SCH80 that fits PETG AND couplers.

And so do a few local stores, if you ask around.

Plus, it's way cheaper to buy a non-threaded nipple section. Equivalent prices between eight feet of normal pricing and two feet of threaded piping at my local store in LA.

Unholy Three: DUPLUM SCRTA, DUPLUM PROBLEMA (2009)

But Zeke guns tend to be like proofs by contradiction

Theoretically solid but actually non-constructive

Rnbw Cln

#8 Lt Stefan

Lt Stefan

• Members
  • 892 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 09:29 PM

I don't know what pipe you are looking at because the one I found (48855K21) has about the same I.D. as the I.D. of PETG itself.

Edited by Lt. Stefan, 20 April 2010 - 02:39 PM.

#9 Cannonball

Cannonball

• Members
  • 357 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 09:30 PM

I would also highly recommend bringing in a sample of PETG with you if you decide to buy some SCH 80 at a local store. I've found that the ID sometimes vary and have accidentally bought some SCH 80 that fit my PETG too tight or didn't fit them at all.

#10 Ryan201821

Ryan201821

Prince Edward

• Contributors
  • 1,892 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 09:38 PM

....has about the same I.D. as the I.D. as PETG itself.

lolwat? This is why you shouldn't post at NerfRevolution kids. Someone please decipher?

Seriously though, I don't see the point if this stuff doesn't fit into PVC couplers.

#11 nate the great

nate the great

• Members
  • 219 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 06:17 AM

For the record, McMaster sells SCH80 that fits PETG AND couplers.

And so do a few local stores, if you ask around.

Plus, it's way cheaper to buy a non-threaded nipple section. Equivalent prices between eight feet of normal pricing and two feet of threaded piping at my local store in LA.

Type Size ID OD Wall
Thick 1/2" .528" .572" .022"
Medium 1/2" .548" .572" .012"

Inside Diameter
.526"

Are you kidding? PETG has a larger OD than the ID of 1/2"sch80 PVC.

....has about the same I.D. as the I.D. as PETG itself.

lolwat? This is why you shouldn't post at NerfRevolution kids. Someone please decipher?

Seriously though, I don't see the point if this stuff doesn't fit into PVC couplers.

It does fit in 1/2"PVC couplers. The only point of the e-tape is to keep the breech super secure.

Edited by nate the great, 20 April 2010 - 06:20 AM.

-Mr BadWrench

-Hi Yah!

Join the Revolution!

#12 Ice Nine

Ice Nine

Prince Dangus

• Administrators
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 07:06 AM

Are you kidding? PETG has a larger OD than the ID of 1/2"sch80 PVC.

You do realize pipe ID has variance, right? It's not like every manufacturer sets ID at a standard exact value plus or minus a micrometer.

It was pointed out that the wall would need to be less than 1/32" thinner to fit PETG, which is certainly within the normal ID variance that McMaster allows for in tubing.

Edited by Ice Nine, 20 April 2010 - 07:16 AM.

Unholy Three: DUPLUM SCRTA, DUPLUM PROBLEMA (2009)

But Zeke guns tend to be like proofs by contradiction

Theoretically solid but actually non-constructive

Rnbw Cln

#13 Lt Stefan

Lt Stefan

• Members
  • 892 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 02:41 PM

It was pointed out that the wall would need to be less than 1/32" thinner to fit PETG, which is certainly within the normal ID variance that McMaster allows for in tubing.

But since the sizes changes from batch to batch you have no way of knowing that the pipe you buy will be big enough to fit PETG.

#14 Ryan201821

Ryan201821

Prince Edward

• Contributors
  • 1,892 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 03:01 PM

But since the sizes changes from batch to batch you have no way of knowing that the pipe you buy will be big enough to fit PETG.

So how is that different than the PVC that's used in the OP? The inside diameter of the nipple pipe doesn't have an exact tolerance, or any tolerance for that matter, as is the case with all PVC. Your argument is invalid.

#15 nate the great

nate the great

• Members
  • 219 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 03:03 PM

Exactly why I recomend the sprinkler extender. It is made to exact specifications.

-Mr BadWrench

-Hi Yah!

Join the Revolution!

#16 Lt Stefan

Lt Stefan

• Members
  • 892 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 03:14 PM

So how is that different than the PVC that's used in the OP? The inside diameter of the nipple pipe doesn't have an exact tolerance, or any tolerance for that matter, as is the case with all PVC. Your argument is invalid.

Exactly why I recomend the sprinkler extender. It is made to exact specifications.

Come again?

And all I was trying to say was that I personally would not try and buy that PVC online where I couldn't test it first because I'd have no way of knowing whether PETG would fit in it or not.

Edited by Lt. Stefan, 20 April 2010 - 03:19 PM.

#17 Ryan201821

Ryan201821

Prince Edward

• Contributors
  • 1,892 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 03:31 PM

Kind of speaks for itself.

And all I was trying to say was that I personally would not try and buy that PVC online where I couldn't test it first because I'd have no way of knowing whether PETG would fit in it or not.

Oh because his word determines what's correct and just complete bullshit? If he told you 1/2" PVC was actually 1/2", would you believe him? Knowing you, you probably would.

And it's made to exact specifications? Oh really, did LT tell you that?

Anyway, nate I'm glad you found something that fits over PETG for you that doesn't fit into PVC coupler without being modified. Congratulations. Good for you man, what a breakthrough. I think both you and LT should be our next contributors!

#18 nate the great

nate the great

• Members
  • 219 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 03:45 PM

Anyway, nate I'm glad you found something that fits over PETG for you that doesn't fit into PVC coupler without being modified.

You call a wrap of e-tape a modification? It is just there to keep the breech more secure. Wow, you really are mentally retarted.

-Mr BadWrench

-Hi Yah!

Join the Revolution!

#19 Lt Stefan

Lt Stefan

• Members
  • 892 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 03:50 PM

Oh because his word determines what's correct and just complete bullshit? If he told you 1/2" PVC was actually 1/2", would you believe him? Knowing you, you probably would.

Anyway, nate I'm glad you found something that fits over PETG for you that doesn't fit into PVC coupler without being modified. Congratulations. Good for you man, what a breakthrough. I think both you and LT should be our next contributors!

I'm sorry, I forgot that you're always right. How could I even have doubted that you know more about a new breech material than the person who actually bought and used it?

#20 Draconis

Draconis

I am not Lord Draconical

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 04:23 PM

Anyway, nate I'm glad you found something that fits over PETG for you that doesn't fit into PVC coupler without being modified.

You call a wrap of e-tape a modification? It is just there to keep the breech more secure. Wow, you really are mentally retarted.

So, he's a tart again? Ryan, you scoundrel!

I'm sorry, I forgot that you're always right. How could I even have doubted that you know more about a new breech material than the person who actually bought and used it?

This may be the NIC's most inane conversation currently underway. LT, Nate, just stop. The ONLY constant in pipe manufacturing is the outside diameter. And with threaded nipples, that only applies the the threaded area, not even the pipe itself. Some of those nipples will work. Some won't. Don't recommend using a particular style as an absolute, because it isn't.
[15:51] <+Noodle> titties
[15:51] <+Rhadamanthys> titties
[15:51] <+jakejagan> titties
[15:51] <+Lucian> boobs
[15:51] <+Gears> titties
[15:51] <@Draconis> Titties.
[15:52] <+Noodle> why is this so hard?

#21 Ryan201821

Ryan201821

Prince Edward

• Contributors
  • 1,892 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 04:30 PM

Yes, I do call that a modification. I believe the definition of a modification would be changing it from it's original state, which is what you did. We use PVC and PVC couplers for a reason, because they are meant to fit into each other. Also the repeated motion of pulling it off and putting it back on your blaster will eventually cause the electrical tape to fall apart, something you wouldn't have to deal with when using actual PVC. This also goes without mentioning that the fit won't be nearly as good, as regular PVC, and will most likely fly off when using a high powered blaster over time. The repeated stress from opening and closing the breech will also cause the electrical tape to be deformed over time.

I might not be correct one hundred percent of the time, but I am sure as hell I have ten times the amount of experience to know what works at a war, and what will eventually fail. E-tape is never a good option for securing something that will have a great deal of stress.

Again, congratulations to you nate for discovering such an amazing achievement. Both of you guys can have fun discussing your superior breech on your awesome website.

#22 Zmandudesk82

Zmandudesk82

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 05:12 PM

This may be the NIC's most inane conversation currently underway. LT, Nate, just stop. The ONLY constant in pipe manufacturing is the outside diameter. And with threaded nipples, that only applies the the threaded area, not even the pipe itself. Some of those nipples will work. Some won't. Don't recommend using a particular style as an absolute, because it isn't.

LT and Nate aren't the ones who need to stop...

But it's true. Pipe manufacturers don't usually worry about the ID as much. When using it in plumbing (what it's supposed to be used for), The ID doesn't matter, as long as it fits the attachments (couplers, tee's, etc.)

Also, we should be happy today. I mean, it is National Marijuana day... :)
QUOTE(Coal Ten @ May 4 2010, 02:57 PM) View Post

simply because I love the feeling of nice hard wood between my fingers.

#23 Draconis

Draconis

I am not Lord Draconical

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 05:15 PM

Also, we should be happy today. I mean, it is National Marijuana day... :)

Take it somewhere that isn't populated by children, dumbass.
[15:51] <+Noodle> titties
[15:51] <+Rhadamanthys> titties
[15:51] <+jakejagan> titties
[15:51] <+Lucian> boobs
[15:51] <+Gears> titties
[15:51] <@Draconis> Titties.
[15:52] <+Noodle> why is this so hard?

#24 Zmandudesk82

Zmandudesk82

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 05:21 PM

Wow, way to be hypocritical. If someone can't handle me saying "Marijuana", they shouldn't be on these forums anyway. If you have anything else to say, lets take it to PM's, okay?

Edited by Zmandudesk82, 20 April 2010 - 05:25 PM.

QUOTE(Coal Ten @ May 4 2010, 02:57 PM) View Post

simply because I love the feeling of nice hard wood between my fingers.

#25 nate the great

nate the great

• Members
  • 219 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 05:24 PM

Ok what have we learned from two pages of fighting? Take the PETG to the store and test it before you buy it. Chances are it will work but if not, the just sucks. Now lets stop fighting and all be friends :)

-Mr BadWrench

-Hi Yah!

Join the Revolution!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users