Air-powered Nerf Gun Maintenance

I need some advice

9 replies to this topic

#1 CustomSnake202

CustomSnake202

• Members
  • 506 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 09:04 PM

Throughout the many years I have been collecting and modifying nerf guns, I have used a lot of air-powered guns, and a lot of those guns have been my favorites, such as the SMk5 and Secret Shot 2. However, about half of my air-powered guns have died due to over use and it is always the air tank that fails, specifically the air tank leaks. Because of the inevitable leaks, I tend to stay away from air-powered guns and stick with spring ones, which are very reliable.

However, I would like to have more confidence in air-powered guns because I have a few that I really like to use. And this leads me to my main question: Is there an easy way (or any way) to make the air tank of a nerf gun last a considerable time? I was thinking about spraying the part of the air tank that releases the air with silicon spray (I think I heard this somewhere before), but I'm not sure if this will do anything. Do you guys have any useful tips for prolonging the life of an air tank?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

P.S.

Another concern I have is the air bladders in my Powerclips. I know they perform the same function as the standard, hard-plastic air tanks in other nerf guns, but the material it is made out of looks like it will eventually rot and/or tear. Any advice on how to take care of air bladders?

#2 Doom

Doom

NH's Official In-House Physicist

• Administrators
  • 559 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 09:33 PM

UV radiation can damage a rubber bladder from what I've read, but this is easily avoided. What you should worry about is small tears accumulating in the rubber from the expansion, eventually ruining it. Hasbro restricts the expansion of the tubing to prevent exactly that.

I have read of bladders tearing longitudinally before, but that was only in high powered water guns using bladders. I am unsure what mechanism caused these failures. Bladders can pop when too much liquid volume is pumped in as well (Hasbro has a safety valve to prevent this).

In the event of damage, bladders can be replaced. Search McMaster-Carr for latex tubing.

Edited by Doom, 19 February 2010 - 09:36 PM.

#3 Blue

Blue

• Members
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 09:34 PM

Silicone spray SOMETIMES kills backpressure tanks depending on what propellants are in it. That issue of fixing backpressure tanks is still kind of a mystery (to me at least.) As far as the rubber bladder, it rots at the seams where it is pinched. Putting electrical tape over these seams might reduce these effects, I'm not sure. Airtanks also often leak out of the pin on the back, and I don't know any really effective way of fixing that. Opening tanks is still not really all that common, but I'm sure there are some things you can do inside the tank to make it better. Also, keeping your guns inside and away from dust is generally good.

#4 Hippopotamus

Hippopotamus

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 12:59 AM

You could try carefully applying DIY latex/liquid latex to the tank, being careful not to get any on the pin or valve, but it should effectively seal most leaks around the body of the tank.
Shrimp!

#5 CustomSnake202

CustomSnake202

• Members
  • 506 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 03:38 AM

Doom - Thanks for the link to that site. It looks like they have a lot of different sizes of latex tubing. I think my Powerclip bladders are in pretty good shape now, but at least I know that I can buy tubing to replace them.

Hippopotamus - Are you talking about the kind of liquid latex that is used for the grips on tools, such as the handles of pliers?

#6 TantumBull

TantumBull

• Moderators
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 04:56 AM

Blue: I've saved an sm1.5k tank with a back leak by putting a pipe tightener on the o-ring housing.

#7 sublimedom777

sublimedom777

• Members
  • 468 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 09:07 AM

Airtanks also often leak out of the pin on the back, and I don't know any really effective way of fixing that.

I recently saved an air operated SM3k tank that was leaking from behind the pin using silicone spray. Also an AT2k tank that was just generally leaky with spray too.

Edited by sublimedom777, 20 February 2010 - 09:07 AM.

Last of the Sex Dwarves, Head of Waifu Relations, Fetishizer of Blasters, The Far Warring, Mini-Van Driver, Possessor of Mattels, and Warden of the Manongahela

We NERF ON all day, and FUCK OFF all night

#8 Hippopotamus

Hippopotamus

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 01:57 PM

Doom - Thanks for the link to that site. It looks like they have a lot of different sizes of latex tubing. I think my Powerclip bladders are in pretty good shape now, but at least I know that I can buy tubing to replace them.

Hippopotamus - Are you talking about the kind of liquid latex that is used for the grips on tools, such as the handles of pliers?

Liquid latex as in the kind that one would use to make molds, and can be bought as a powder.
Shrimp!

#9 Jagiro

Jagiro

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 02:23 PM

Liquid latex as in the kind that one would use to make molds, and can be bought as a powder.

Every word I've seen from you in this thread looks like pure fantasy.

Have you actually done such a repair with such a material and had it work?

Because otherwise, pure speculation on what you think might work is a waste of everyone's time.

Just Some Bob, I agree with you and would like some proof.
Ah women, they makes the highs high and lows more frequent.

#10 RedPhoenix32

RedPhoenix32

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 11:00 PM

In my opinion I'd say forget the bladder idea and make a whole new tank. I saw Uin13's idea for an air compressor pack, and its pretty sweet. You should check it out if you havent. Also, is it just me, or do alot of people here watch Wallace and Gromit?
I promote the 1st amendment.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users