Base Defense Cannons, And You

Impact of design styles on a game

32 replies to this topic

#26 Raecroft

Raecroft

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 09 March 2003 - 10:01 AM

zi would suggest builkding a drum mag. so you don't have to have that tall-ass clip.not exactly sure how you would but I'm sure somnething could be figured out.
"You laugh at me because I am different, I laugh at you because you are all the same".-anynomous

#27 SkiMan

SkiMan

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 18 March 2003 - 03:41 PM

Dear god that's going to be a sweet cannon.

As far as an air tank for that monster goes, how many PSI do you think a keg will hold? I bet it's more than enough, but you might have to use a couple since they're not as big as an industrial drum or something. Easier to find though :rolleyes:

With that design, it'd be pretty easy to convert into a nice single barreled semi-auto rifle for losers or assault. Limit the clip size to 5 or so and carry a couple clips. Change the barrel lengths depending on what you're using it for, brass barrel to use less air, perhaps even make a backpack style air tank out of old super soaker tanks if they can handle the PSI, if not, 2-liters will hold at least 60-70, though I'm not sure what kind of PSI that thing would need to fire.

The sheer attack power of that wepon would be limited by the size of clip and length of reloading (putting the darts back in the shells) and pumping time so it wouldn't be too unfair. Normal modded nerf guns take 4-10 pumps and reload pretty darn quick. It'd just introduce some slightly different strategies.

Makes me wish I'd brought all my modding supplies down here to my dorm. There's only so much fun you can have scaring your hallmates with a brassed SplitFire.

#28 Zero Talent

Zero Talent

• Contributors
  • 606 posts

Posted 18 March 2003 - 04:29 PM

http://www.geocities...ed/ugliness.txt

I need to get off my ass and make these things... So frustrating...

That, and I need to convince my friends again. Short attention spans.
"'Revere me as hot! All others are not! THIS, I COMMAND!'"
- Death

#29 Langley

Langley

LGLF - Since 2002

• Administrators
  • 2,997 posts

Posted 18 March 2003 - 05:42 PM

Are the shells propelled into the turret by gravity, a spring loaded clip, or some mechanism in the gun that feeds them through? Depending on how the clip works, you could attach an empty clip on the bottom to catch the empty shells, and the clips, as long as they don't have to be air tight, could have spaced holes in the back for loading stefans into the empty shells while they're in the clip. This way you could just fire a few rounds, re-load the empty shells without having to load or remove anything from the gun, and switch the clips. It would take away from the effect of having the shells flying out of the gun, but you wouldn't have to deal with a butload of clips and hundreds of shells to match your hundreds of darts (which is good, because it seems like the shells have to be a certain length within pretty close tolerances) And you wouldn't have a huge reloading problem on your hands once you've run out of darts in clips and you have to pick up darts from the ground.

You can poop in my toilet anytime champ.

2016 Nerf War Schedule
Bless you, my son. Now recite 3 New Members Guides and 5 Code of Conducts for your sins.

#30 Vassili

Vassili

• Members
  • 153 posts

Posted 19 March 2003 - 08:15 PM

Wow Zero gets colorful!

Anyway that thing is awesome tell us when it's done.
Foam Fortress Co-Webmaster

#31 Langley

Langley

LGLF - Since 2002

• Administrators
  • 2,997 posts

Posted 20 March 2003 - 09:35 PM

I thought you would be interested in the product at the top of this page.
http://www.sciplus.c...m?subsection=19

Edit: There is also a product somewhere else on this site that was posted a while ago on NO. It's a regulator for less than $10 not includeing shipping.

PE: If you plan on having the gunner sit in a seat mounted on the turret, you could drill a hole through the center of the lazy susan (which you should be able to do because it turns on bearings that are in a groove around the lazy susan rather than turning on a fixed point in the middle) You could then anchor a rod into the base/mono pod leg of the turret and put a wheel at the top. The gunner could turn the gun by twisting the stationary weel in the center causing the moving part of the turret, along with the gunner, to rotate. Sort of like a sit-and-spin of death.

2016 Nerf War Schedule
Bless you, my son. Now recite 3 New Members Guides and 5 Code of Conducts for your sins.

#32 Zero Talent

Zero Talent

• Contributors
  • 606 posts

Posted 21 March 2003 - 03:21 PM

As nice as the sentiment is, those bastards don't, and never have, shipped across the border. It would be cool, but I'm going to have to rely on my own system... The rotation won't be a problem, but a smooth y-axis motion will be annoying.

Oh, and update: My friends are still lazy, and most of them are away this break, so I've been out of contact. So, I've been keeping myself busy by making a Supermaxx 3000 (Yellow) into a semi-automatic, four-finger trigger hand cannon. Simple, but I was just inspired for some reason. I'm also going to make the prototype of that breech in that Cross kind of gun I displayed on Foam Modified's update page. ...Also, I'm adapting that kind of technology to make my Crossbow pump-action, using air pressure to push a piece of CPVC out, then finally push an internal Pen Cap within that (Yeah, yeah, not very official) outwards into the next shell, moving the next dart slightly within the barrel, and allowing the air out into the shell, firing it, while pressure from the plunger seals the piston against the shell, and shell against the barrel. Probably doing that before the breech beta, as it's easier to make.

Once again, sorry for the laze. I seem to have wasted my Spring Break.
"'Revere me as hot! All others are not! THIS, I COMMAND!'"
- Death

#33 Langley

Langley

LGLF - Since 2002

• Administrators
  • 2,997 posts

Posted 21 March 2003 - 06:29 PM

If you change your mind about weather or not you need the lazy susan, let me know, and I'll take care of the shipping for you. You could just give my adress when you order it, order one of those regulators, I'll mail the stuff you ordered for yourself to you, and we call it even.

2016 Nerf War Schedule

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users