Stiff Ball Valve?

:O oh no!

12 replies to this topic

#1 OnyxZenith

OnyxZenith

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 05:08 PM

I recently bought 2 CPVC Ball valves, and twisting them for a trigger seems inefficient in this condition.

Is there a way to Oil up or Lube a Ball valve for quicker air release? I've created a homemade with an RSCB clip and the ball valve just takes too much effort.

I would've used a Zero type Trigger but I didn't have enough time to get that and pieces to fit with it
SoothSayer-

"Just adding some lube and twisting it back and forth for a while should make it easier"

Subscribe to my Music page and mods >> http://www.youtube.com/user/OnyxMP312

#2 Soothsayer

Soothsayer

• Members
  • 663 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 05:22 PM

I'm hoping this is just for fun, cause all homemade airguns are pretty much banned no matter how you set up the system.

Just adding some l.....oh jeez

"Just adding some lube and twisting it back and forth for a while should make it easier"

:D

Edited by Soothsayer, 07 November 2009 - 05:22 PM.

yeah I'm that guy who made that cool thing with the cool paint.

#3 OnyxZenith

OnyxZenith

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 05:29 PM

I'm hoping this is just for fun, cause all homemade airguns are pretty much banned no matter how you set up the system.

Just adding some l.....oh jeez

:D

AHAHAHAHA xD I'ma sig that! >:D but anywhoom, yes its for fun, and I made some foam padded darts for extra safety, lol will like vegetable oil work for the valve? ahahaha! my friend used it for his rubick's cube and it slid smoothly for 3 years+. So I'm guessing this could be applicable to PVC?
SoothSayer-

#4 oh1134

oh1134

• Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 05:48 PM

You could attach a piece of pvc over part of the handle and glue and bolt it in place to give it more leverage, which will help in addition to lubing. I recommend silicone lubricant. Also, homemade airguns aren't universally bad. For example, I'm thinking of making a homemade airgun that has a similar volume and pump as an at2k. But most people will ban it. I think that homemade airguns should be tried out first before they are banned.

#5 TantumBull

TantumBull

• Moderators
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 08:11 PM

ahahaha! my friend used it for his rubick's cube and it slid smoothly for 3 years+. So I'm guessing this could be applicable to PVC?

Rubics cubes don't use Buna-N rubber.

Edited by TantumBull, 07 November 2009 - 08:11 PM.

#6 OnyxZenith

OnyxZenith

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 08:14 PM

Ahh okay, well I don't have an lubricant for my valve :/
I guess I'm going to have to deal with it
SoothSayer-

#7 TantumBull

TantumBull

• Moderators
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 03:28 AM

I'd have to disagree about the lube. It makes my ball valves from home depot turn a lot easier.

#8 cheesypiza001

cheesypiza001

• Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 10:50 AM

Is there any way to disassemble a 1/2" PVC ball valve?

#9 C-A 99

C-A 99

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 01:52 PM

It's a good idea to test valves in the stores first to find the ones that open more easily.

Perhaps building a torque arm like this could help.

I've only tried silicone lube, which considerably slowed down one of my valves. It doesn't seem to be a reliable solution unless you're familiar with what works and doesn't with the various materials in the valve.

#10 OnyxZenith

OnyxZenith

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 06:09 PM

It's a good idea to test valves in the stores first to find the ones that open more easily.

Perhaps building a torque arm like this could help.

I've only tried silicone lube, which considerably slowed down one of my valves. It doesn't seem to be a reliable solution unless you're familiar with what works and doesn't with the various materials in the valve.

I know about those arm ideas, but its alright, I use WD-40 on it, BUT I washed a day after, and now it moves faster than it did before,
SoothSayer-

#11 SorrowX

SorrowX

• Members
  • 162 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 07:38 PM

I figured the same problem when building my first homemade. I found the lowest friction ball valves tend to be in the gas section. They cost a tinsy bit more, but is worth it. Low friction, threads fit on PVC threading, etc. here's a picture of one similar o the one I got at lowes. They work wonders. :)
Posted Image
You may have the balls, but I have the lack of morality!

#12 jackster57

jackster57

• Members
  • 436 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 09:03 PM

I have had a few like this. Running and submerging them in hot water while opening and closing them seems to do the trick.

#13 OnyxZenith

OnyxZenith

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 09:12 PM

I have had a few like this. Running and submerging them in hot water while opening and closing them seems to do the trick.

Dangit! I wished you told me sooner because I just finished up the guns yesterday :o
SoothSayer-

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users