Nitefinder Problem....fixed

Answered THANKS

15 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_TheSilverhead_*

Guest_TheSilverhead_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 September 2009 - 10:29 AM

EDIT: woohoo! the plunger cooled, I picked it up and it broke.in a good way- the bottom pice that would hold the AR and spring is still attached to the plunger tube, and the rod/pin piece is still aattached to the barrel!

OK! Don't flame me saying use the search engine or the mod directory, I have tried them both.
I just bought a NEW NF, and guess what? Hasbro can take a hint. They have glued the plunger tube to the "barrel" and the AR's. whe you take it out of the gun, it is one pice. only the plunger rod and head come out.
Normally, I would chop this thing to pieces. But this time, I want to know- where do I apply the hacksaw?
Posted Image
some more pictures:
Other pictures
Other Pictures 2

Edited by TheSilverhead, 23 September 2009 - 06:15 PM.

#2 Zack the Mack

Zack the Mack

• Members
  • 360 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 10:35 AM

Probably no need to cut yet. Try making a cup of hot (almost-boiling) water and put the plunger tube inside. After a few minutes, the heat may have softened the glue, letting you pull the pieces apart by hand.

The same technique works with Recon plunger tubes, the Longshot barrel, etc.

Post a follow-up if this works!
Ask me questions about electronics, Arduino, and 3D printing

#3 Guest_TheSilverhead_*

Guest_TheSilverhead_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 September 2009 - 10:59 AM

OW
Ok, I used water that literally was so hot it boiled right out of the faucet (this faucet is 3 feet from the water heater) for about 5 minutes. I couldn't even see it for the steam.
No good. I tried to pry it off with a screwdriver and got a nasty cut. Any other idaes?

#4 Gimmick

Gimmick

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 11:41 AM

I had a NF that was glued similarly, and I believe I got it apart by cutting through the adhesive with an X-acto. They don't usually apply their adhesive along the whole cylinder, so just stick your blade in where it's not glued and start cutting from there. Careful not to snap the blade though.

Edited by Gimmick, 23 September 2009 - 11:46 AM.

#5 Ro-Sham-Bo

Ro-Sham-Bo

• Members
  • 167 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 02:54 PM

Depending on the type of glue, you might be able to get it off with Zippo lighter fluid.
QUOTE(baghead @ Dec 31 2008, 07:58 PM) View Post

Wait a second? a Canadian National team... just won at Hockey!?

who would have ever seen that coming?

#6 Hi Yah

Hi Yah

• Members
  • 294 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 03:32 PM

Try using a heat gun.
The yellow balls are also slightly smaller in diameter than the green ones.

#7 carlough

carlough

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 03:59 PM

This may seem a little stupid, but did you try brute force?
Not trying to be mean, but people somthimes overlook the obvuis.

Lighter fluid is a BAD idea. The plastic will probably be ruined by it.
RAZZLE FRAZZLE TO THE EXTREME!!!

#8 Mehku

Mehku

• Members
  • 383 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 05:47 PM

I just bought a NEW NF, and guess what? Hasbro can take a hint. They have glued the plunger tube to the "barrel" and the AR's. whe you take it out of the gun, it is one pice. only the plunger rod and head come out.

Those bastards. I just knew they were trying to make modifying harder for us.

Anyways, what I usually do for glue is to shove in a knife and try to cut / wedge through it. Or just put the fucker in a vice and twist the plunger tube as hard as you can until the glue breaks. (Put cardboard on both sides of the clamp. If you don't, you'll fuck up your gun. Just kind of sandwich the plunger tube in between the cardboard pieces.)

Edited by Mehku, 23 September 2009 - 05:48 PM.

#9 Guest_TheSilverhead_*

Guest_TheSilverhead_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 September 2009 - 06:14 PM

Thanks all. I got it out- the water was soooooo hot it actually tempered the plastic, making it brittle for a few minutes. I pulled and it broke in just the right spot.

#10 Dark Sakul

Dark Sakul

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 09:14 PM

I also modded my Nite Finder, last Night.

I also had minor difficulty with the barrel/ Plunger tube, i just use good old fashion brute strength.

I took my modded Nite Finder and a un-modded Nite Finder for some field test.
i was surprise I was getting about the same results. Turns out the Muzzle of my Nite Finder was loose and I am thinking my blaster Plunger assembly is not properly sealed.

I though about taking the Nite finder back apart for some reinforcements and to seal the plunger.

I was thinking ether super glue or JB Wield would do the job. Whay do you guys think.

#11 The Nerf Devil

The Nerf Devil

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 09:21 PM

I am going to go with it wasn't properly seated. If it is in the right spot on all older nitefinders it would be held together by parts at the right spots. This nitefinder seems the same just with the glue. Did you remove the entire peg piece or just the middle of it?
It's funny looking through things you said years ago, you realize how much of an ass you came off as sometimes.

#12 Dark Sakul

Dark Sakul

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 09:48 PM

I am going to go with it wasn't properly seated. If it is in the right spot on all older nitefinders it would be held together by parts at the right spots. This nitefinder seems the same just with the glue. Did you remove the entire peg piece or just the middle of it?

I had the entire assembly removed. I came to the conclusion the blaster muzzle is loosed by comparing the Modded Nite Finder to the unmodded Finder. I also notice a small crack in the screw well near the muzzle, which I also suspect might influence the accuracy. I believe the crack came from over-tightening the screw.

#13 Hoceky

Hoceky

• Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 11:50 PM

Try using a heat gun.

Do that and say goodbye to $7.
meh.

#14 Dark Sakul

Dark Sakul

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 02:03 PM

Do that and say goodbye to $7.

I agree, I ruined enough things with a heat gun, including a expensive pair of Military Leather Jungle Boots and a car bumper.

But any ways for a good heating method using hot boiling water (For small plastic parts)
I used it before for for untwisting plastic action figures

Supplies/ Tools

You need a Small Pot for boiling water

tap water.

A slotted serving spoon.

A Stove or other similar heat source such a hot plate.

Fill your pot approx 3/4 the way full.

Set your stove at High.

A bowl

Ice

Directions

Wait till your water comes to a boil.

Using your slotted spoon, lower your plastic part into the boiling water, be careful do not let the spoon rest on the bottom of the pot or the sides. Meaning you have to hold the spoon.

Wait approx 5 to 8 min.

Remove the Spoon and plastic part out of the boiling water.

Do what alterations you need to at this time, cation, plastic part is extremely hot.

Have a bowl filled with Ice and cold water.

Place the plastic part in cold water.

#15 The Nerf Devil

The Nerf Devil

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 02:22 PM

I had the entire assembly removed. I came to the conclusion the blaster muzzle is loosed by comparing the Modded Nite Finder to the unmodded Finder. I also notice a small crack in the screw well near the muzzle, which I also suspect might influence the accuracy. I believe the crack came from over-tightening the screw.

Posted Image
That part. Did you remove it or just bore it out? If you removed it put it back in.(Photo courtesy of Jakethesnake/the internals thread)
It's funny looking through things you said years ago, you realize how much of an ass you came off as sometimes.

#16 Dark Sakul

Dark Sakul

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 06:20 PM

http://i618.photobuc...ternalscopy.jpg
That part. Did you remove it or just bore it out? If you removed it put it back in.(Photo courtesy of Jakethesnake/the internals thread)

Oh that, it is in, and it is sealed property, I did a 2nd field test the following day (less windy) and got better results. I can not report in actual measurements since I neglected to bring a tape measure this time. but the distances are now significant greater than the unmodded NF

Thank you for your help any ways Nerf Devil, its only my 3rd Mod for a Nerf blaster so I still new to this kind of mod work.

Edited by Dark Sakul, 26 September 2009 - 06:23 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users