Photo

Rscb Help Anyone?

10 replies to this topic

#1 CROW

CROW

• Members
  • 367 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 11:59 PM

Hey 'Haven. I recently put an RSCB clip on my +bow with a 12" brass barrel (17/32" if that helps), but I've been having trouble getting the damn thing to fire consistently. I've heard these things are finicky, so I'm really not surprised that I'm having trouble, but could anyone offer any pointers in terms of improvement?

For what its worth, I'll describe my set-up as best as I can. I'm connecting to the +bow with a 1/2" L coupler, which goes to a 1/2" tee. I cut down the bottom of the tee and top of the L so as to lower the height of the RSCB, but there's still a good connection between the two. I did nothing to alter the tee apart from this. On one side of the tee is the 12" barrel with the end of the brass flared out, and on the other, around a 7" clip. My darts are a tight fit in the brass, but not so much that I have to twist.

Thanks for any help!
"You can discover what your enemy fears most by observing the means he uses to frighten you."

"ah man, I would give you so much for one of those NIB crossbows or one of those crossbows on the floor. The ones on ebay have gone up to $59 and the shipping alone is $12." -Rip32

#2 dubcwill

dubcwill

• Members
  • 113 posts
  • State:California

Posted 20 September 2009 - 12:02 AM

RSCB's are that annoying. From my experience, the barrel material has to be where you have to twist your dart(CPVC)
He's my slave. Or he will be. I promise when I take over youtube, I will enslave Uni13. That is all. DBNF

#3 Hi Yah

Hi Yah

• Members
  • 294 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 08:41 AM

Try sanding the barrel where it meets the t coupler, this will make it run a bit smoother. Also I reccommend cutting the barrel 2 inches shorter than the normal length singled barrel, this will be a better barrel length for the last shots. I hope this helps.
The yellow balls are also slightly smaller in diameter than the green ones.

#4 LoneNerfer

LoneNerfer

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 01:16 PM

Try to shorten the barrel I love rscb's for air guns so I use them a lot. I've learned that unless your dart is a perfect fit in your barrel you should make it shorter hope that helps.

#5 CROW

CROW

• Members
  • 367 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 02:11 PM

People have actually reported getting good ranges with a 16" barrel on their +bow's, so I think my barrel length is okay. But how does shortening the barrel length help it load well?

I was also thinking that having a very short length of 9/16" brass (one size up from my usual barrel size) right where the darts feed into the back might be beneficial, perhaps with a tightening ring. I just figure that the darts would make a seal with the back of the barrel easier. Has anyone ever tried this?
"You can discover what your enemy fears most by observing the means he uses to frighten you."

"ah man, I would give you so much for one of those NIB crossbows or one of those crossbows on the floor. The ones on ebay have gone up to $59 and the shipping alone is $12." -Rip32

#6 Carbon

Carbon

Contriberator

• Moderators
  • 1,893 posts
  • State:Wisconsin

Posted 20 September 2009 - 04:41 PM

I was also thinking that having a very short length of 9/16" brass (one size up from my usual barrel size) right where the darts feed into the back might be beneficial, perhaps with a tightening ring.

To answer your immediate question: I've done something like that, but going two sizes up. I use the dents from the pipe cutter to hold the larger size firm on the small one, and then flare the inner, smaller pipe. Using only one size up will create a ridge, which may or may not help you. However, I mainly use that on breeches, when the foam is a bit too tight. It works well, at any rate.

To answer your question on a broader level: you don't really need to do that for RSCBs, as you only have to flare the barrel enough to let the front dart seat...and you can accomplish that with a pocketknife and a bit of reaming.

If you're having fire problems, the culprit is dart fit. RSCBs need a tighter fit than your usual barrel. If 17/32" is your typical stock, try stepping down a size, or perhaps try out CPVC.

Edited by Carbon, 20 September 2009 - 04:42 PM.

Hello. I am Indigo of the Rainbow Clan. You Nerfed my father. Prepare to die.

#7 Keith

Keith

• Members
  • 181 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 04:44 PM

What exactly is the problem you're having?
The darts aren't sliding far enough into the barrel when you tilt it down? If that's the case your thing about 9/16'' brass leading into the 17/32'' isn't a bad idea. Also maybe file the edge of the 17/32'' brass to put a little chamfer into it. You might try 1/2'' cpvc barrel too. The cpvc I use (flowguard gold) is just a tiny bit looser on my darts than brass and you can cut a bigger chamfer in it too.

If the darts shoot, but just don't go very far then a shorter barrel is definitely a good idea.

If some shots are great and some suck and some don't load properly at all you probably need more consistent sized stefans.

Also, I'm just guessing here, but I doubt whoever had a 16'' barrel on their +bow had it on an RSCB. Don't forget the RSCB makes a lot of dead space as the magazine empties of darts.

Edit: Carbon beat me to it.

Edited by Keith, 20 September 2009 - 04:45 PM.

#8 bobman

bobman

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 07:54 PM

I've found that 5/8 brass works well for the clip, pretty loose.
No Comment...

#9 Phibonnachee

Phibonnachee

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 08:44 PM

I personally use PETG. For PETG I put a little bit of e-tape around the rim of the petg on the end that meets the coupler. Works fine.

Edited by Phibonnachee, 20 September 2009 - 08:44 PM.

De-single your longshot Longshot --- 4B magazine breech BBBB

#10 CROW

CROW

• Members
  • 367 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 12:07 AM

Carbon -

Okay, its starting to sound like putting a size or two up of brass inside the barrel might actually work. I'll give that a shot and see how that goes. However, running with a size down seems like it might be too tight for the dart to get anywhere... Still though, I'm new to this, and I'll experiment. Thanks.

Keith -

Yep, Carbon beat you to the trigger, but thanks all the same for the help :)

Bobman -

Just using the stock 1/2 PVC seems perfect for me, but thanks.

#11 Zack the Mack

Zack the Mack

• Members
  • 360 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 10:38 AM

The fix you need really depends on the specific problem you're having.

If your darts aren't leaving the barrel, you need a shorter barrel, a shorter RSCB, or a looser fit. Remember that even though a +bow can push a dart through 16" of barrel when it's singled, the massive dead space created by an RSCB will prevent the dart from going that far in the RSCB setup. I use a 12" barrel on my +bow, but a shorter barrel could be more reliable when the clip's empty. You can also reduce the length of the RSCB for less dead space, which lets you use a longer barrel. I try to use a fairly loose barrel on my RSCB's - if your barrel is tight and a dart does get stuck inside, it's a pain in the ass to get it out.

If your darts aren't even making it into the barrel, do what Carbon suggested and ream the inner rim of the barrel (That sounded kind of perverted). You want the barrel's inner end to essentially look like a funnel, so darts get sent right into the center and hopefully lodged inside. You might also want to use more brass, not e-tape, to nest the barrel in the PVC. The exposed sticky side of the tape sometimes snags darts.

If you're firing multiple darts at the same time, your barrel could be too loose or you could be whipping the setup too quickly and forcing the dart too far into the barrel. Double-firing does happen about 5% of the time with a fully-functional RSCB, it just comes with the territory.

EDIT: Speeling misteak

Edited by Zack the Mack, 21 September 2009 - 10:41 AM.

Ask me questions about electronics, Arduino, and 3D printing

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users