No violent connotations

30 replies to this topic

#26 Daniel Beaver

Daniel Beaver

HQRSE CQCK

• Moderators
  • 2,096 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 04:27 PM

A vote for "Nerf Out" from me. I know you guys have been calling them "wars" for years, but I always get concerned looks from parents when I use that word.

#27 SonReeceSonJensen

SonReeceSonJensen

• Members
  • 662 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 04:28 PM

Nobody thought ‘core’ is a good sub for ‘squad’?

I can say I would be very enticed to bring my ‘Devices’ to play with a ‘Nerf Core’ at a ‘Foam Frenzy’
The Difference:
-Guns shoot bullets that kill people
-Blasters shoot darts that tag people

I do not play with guns.

#28 imaseoulman

imaseoulman

• Members
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 06:14 PM

NERF Tag

I'd steer clear of the word 'dart.' If you need to write an official description consider using words like 'propel' or maybe 'launch' instead of 'shoot.' I wouldn't even use the word 'blaster' if the school is going to be that picky, I'd just call them NERF toys.

As for the "badassery" of the name, from a psycho-social standpoint, I'd stay away from any attempts to make NERF look "bad ass." If it is your goal (and this is my assumption, it may not be your goal) to attract and retain more members of your group, the desire to be "bad ass" will come across as strange and it will seem as if you're trying too hard to be cool. You'll be seen as the type that LARPs and you will have difficulty attracting a more "main-stream" crowd. The activity itself will draw in the LARPers and such, but not taking yourselves too seriously and just having fun will draw larger crowds. Make it all seem like a big joke where people can let loose and have fun (good high energy fun).

It's a simple matter to make it appear nothing more than a silly game of tag to those with veto power and turn around and present it as extreme hilarity and fun to people you're trying to attract.

As for 'squad' replacement, while I don't see how 'squad' is a controversial term, a good substitute would be team or league.

If you could get them to see the benefits of a "NERF Tag League" then it would be an exception just like fencing is an exception. Good luck.

#29 KeiichiRX7

KeiichiRX7

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 10:50 PM

I can say I would be very enticed to bring my ‘Devices’ to play with a ‘Nerf Core’ at a ‘Foam Frenzy’

Its "Corps" you twit, and its being avoided for the same reason as "Squad".
Because to all the soccermoms in the world Squad and Corps are "violent".
Capt Slug thinks this thread is idiotic. Why did any of you seriously reply to this?

Why so serious?

#30 BustaNinja

BustaNinja

• Members
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 06:28 AM

Its "Corps" you twit, and its being avoided for the same reason as "Squad".
Because to all the soccermoms in the world Squad and Corps are "violent".

Eh, I'm gonna go with Son on this one. He's older then you, has been to college, and doesn't live in Texas.

Core. I don't give a shit about the real military connotations, because this is Nerf, not Mil-Sim.
Me: Yeah. he beat a hooker
Venom: Haven't we all?

#31 Talio

Talio

Not your mother

• Contributors
  • 2,781 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 03:03 PM

It is now and forever shall be Nerf War. End of discussion.
New posts on my blog, check it out. - Click on the ad too, cause I get money per click. Give back to the Admin team for once!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users