District 9

One bad ass movie!

30 replies to this topic

#1 Gazoo

Gazoo

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 10:14 PM

Anybody else see district 9 yet? It's SICK if you haven't. I noticed a few of the alien guns may have been replicated after a few Nerf guns.... Especially the Magstrike looking flamer. I'll see if I can't find a few pics to put up.
groove- Blatant asshattery will not be tolerated

#2 Bedhed117

Bedhed117

• Members
  • 184 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 10:21 PM

As sick as District 9 looks they were gonna make a Halo movie instead and decided not to. District 9 is cool but I bet halo would've been cooler.
QUOTE(Bedhed117 @ Aug 18 2009, 09:48 AM)

Anyone who's sig is a quote of themselves is an enormous douchebag.

Join the Revolution

#3 BustaNinja

BustaNinja

• Members
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 10:25 PM

http://www.escapistm.../876-District-9

Listen to the Halo bit, but then again, you are already a fan boy.

Edited by BustaNinja, 21 August 2009 - 10:26 PM.

Me: Yeah. he beat a hooker
Venom: Haven't we all?

#4 Wes7143

Wes7143

• Members
  • 758 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 10:26 PM

As sick as District 9 looks they were gonna make a Halo movie instead and decided not to. District 9 is cool but I bet halo would've been cooler.

You're fucking retarded. I'm just putting that out there...

I saw the movie. Pretty interestingly shot, and very entertaining. I'm not going to give away any story details, and I would encourage any other posters here to do the same.

Just an FYI, there was no script for this movie. The actors were told what needed to happen, and were told to improvise. I found that this made the story more believable.

Unfortunately for me, 20 mins of the audio in the climax was missing, due to a strong thunderstorm. I got re-funds.
QUOTE(VengefulWaffle)
Get off my boyfriend

If at first you don't succeed, add more epoxy.

#5 elf avec gun

elf avec gun

• Members
  • 490 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 10:26 PM

You do realize that they only did this after the Halo movie lost funding right?
"It's hard to imagine a more specific subset of nerd than our community. One day we shall be studied by a single sociologist whom the other sociologists will mock incessantly." ~VACC

Got Nerd?

#6 Sk0rpion 777

Sk0rpion 777

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 10:37 PM

Movies based on video games almost always suck. So, no, it wouldn't have been better.

Edited by Sk0rpion_777, 21 August 2009 - 10:38 PM.

R.I.P Billy Mays.

#7 VelveetaAvenger

VelveetaAvenger

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 02:21 AM

District 9 is my favorite movie of the year so far. The plot felt like something one of the classic science fiction authors would have wrote, which I thought was pretty cool. Another good thing was how they were able to make the trailers interesting without giving away the entire story before you've seen the movie. The action and effects are well done also.

Man, a cool movie gets released, and most of the posts are about Halo instead. After seeing how well District 9 turned out I think Blomkamp would have done just fine with a Halo movie, and since he's turning a profit they're probably thinking about giving it another shot. Instead of arguing about what might have been, people should just go see the movie that made it.
"I never saw Beastmaster, I just wanted to be cool..."

#8 SgNerf

SgNerf

• Members
  • 204 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 02:33 AM

Yeah, District 9 is one of the best and most original sci-fi films i've watched over the past few years too. Definitely recommended for sci-fi fans!

Btw, for those who have watched it... i believe this awesome prawn blaster definitely left a deep impression:

http://cache.gawker....c_Gun_clean.jpg

:ph34r:

Edited by SgNerf, 22 August 2009 - 02:37 AM.

Nerf News & Reviews! >> http://www.sgnerf.blogspot.com
Nerf Mod Guides! >> http://www.modworks.blogspot.com

#9 Dart Attack

Dart Attack

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 08:51 AM

The halo movie is in the hands of Spielberg.

read...

http://405th.com/for...showtopic=20023

#10 Spud Spudoni

Spud Spudoni

• Members
  • 321 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 09:28 AM

I want to see district 9 really bad, but since I'm not 18, I was wondering if there was anything scenes that you wouldn't recommend for 13 year old?

industrial designer

#11 Wes7143

Wes7143

• Members
  • 758 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 09:34 AM

I want to see district 9 really bad, but since I'm not 18, I was wondering if there was anything scenes that you wouldn't recommend for 13 year old?

The movie is only rated R because of some violent, gory scenes. It's really not that bad, or graphic, compared to other R rated films. As long as you have someone at or over the age of 18 accompanying you into the theatre, it's okay.
QUOTE(VengefulWaffle)
Get off my boyfriend

If at first you don't succeed, add more epoxy.

#12 LNL plus LS equals WIN

LNL plus LS equals WIN

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 10:12 AM

The end was the best I think, and that robot suit was sick! Very sci-fi and prawn mini gun!!! :ph34r:
Jun 24 2009, 02:57 PM
MY ASS IS GLORIOUS!
VACC

QUOTE(CA13 @ Aug 15 2009, 05:59 PM) View Post

Ryan- Could you weigh the balls for extra oomph? Maybe cut one ball open (like a slit) and spread it so you could get some weights in there?

#13 VelveetaAvenger

VelveetaAvenger

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 10:50 AM

The movie is only rated R because of some violent, gory scenes. It's really not that bad, or graphic, compared to other R rated films. As long as you have someone at or over the age of 18 accompanying you into the theatre, it's okay.

They drop the f-bomb quite a bit too.

#14 Gazoo

Gazoo

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 11:05 AM

Yeah, Don't go. It's rated R for a reason. Very gory scenes (even if they are funny). Even I couldn't watch the fingernail scene..... LOTS of F bombs. (Granted alot of them are in a heavy south african accent so kinda hard to understand)

On another note, the lightning gun in that pic was actually sold on ebay....for about $1200......
groove- Blatant asshattery will not be tolerated

#15 BritNerfMogul

BritNerfMogul

• Members
  • 560 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 11:40 AM

I like the original short, 'Alive in joberg'

It's the original short film that the director made. It's really good. So I have high hopes for the film.

#16 elf avec gun

elf avec gun

• Members
  • 490 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 01:10 PM

The halo movie is in the hands of Spielberg.

read...

http://405th.com/for...showtopic=20023

And then Microsoft still said "No"
"It's hard to imagine a more specific subset of nerd than our community. One day we shall be studied by a single sociologist whom the other sociologists will mock incessantly." ~VACC

Got Nerd?

#17 Spud Spudoni

Spud Spudoni

• Members
  • 321 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 07:26 PM

They drop the f-bomb quite a bit too.

Thanks for clearing that up. Now I can go see it.

industrial designer

#18 Hi Yah

Hi Yah

• Members
  • 294 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 07:56 PM

I just saw it and it was awesome! I normally don't like sci-fi movies, but this one was really good. It had great special effects and a pretty good plot, which you don't see too often in sci-fi's these days.
The yellow balls are also slightly smaller in diameter than the green ones.

#19 Applefury

Applefury

• Members
  • 233 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 08:19 PM

I just saw District 9 with my friend and I thought it was really quite good. Strange how it is rated R in the U.S. but up here in Ontario, Canada it is 14a. It seems that everyone in the movie uses the word fook, what does fook mean?

Edit: I know what they were saying, I was being sarcastic.

Edited by Applefury, 24 August 2009 - 02:21 PM.

QUOTE(Gamefreak @ Sep 29 2008, 07:03 PM) View Post

Since you're too young to get a hotel, you should look around, maybe check some aim chatrooms.
Theres alot of really friendly, nice people out there, that'd be more than willing to accomodate a young boy.

#20 BustaNinja

BustaNinja

• Members
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 11:17 PM

A Halo movie would suck, and if you can go see District 9, you will be missing out on the greatest movie of the summer, and possibly the year if you don't see it.

From the gritty representation of space, to the slums that seem more like a concentration camp, to the awesome weaponry and wonderfully portrayed characters, District 9 is probably the best movie of the year. It is really that good.

If you can't see it, and are over 15, get an older friend to take you. I would not let anyone under that age see it. The alien guns that explode and vaporize people aren't for the faint of heart.
Me: Yeah. he beat a hooker
Venom: Haven't we all?

#21 VelveetaAvenger

VelveetaAvenger

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 11:43 PM

I just saw District 9 with my friend and I thought it was really quite good. Strange how it is rated R in the U.S. but up here in Ontario, Canada it is 14a. It seems that everyone in the movie uses the word fook, what does fook mean?

It's just fuck said with a thick Afrikaans accent.

#22 rork

rork

• Members
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 11:57 PM

I have never seen so much gratuitous lens splatter. That being said, it's quite a clever film.
<a href="http://nerfhaven.com...howtopic=20296" target="_blank">SNAPbow Mk. V</a>
<a href="http://nerfhaven.com...howtopic=20409" target="_blank">Make it pump-action</a>

#23 flounder

flounder

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 12:06 AM

I'll be honest. I don't think it was this amazing movie of the year that everyone says it is, Don't get me wrong, it's still a good movie, its got solid character development(if a little fast), action was great and it wasn't a cheesy ending. But I still think it could of used more plot. I understand it was written like a documentary, at least until the second half, but I though there was a lot of unnecessary filler that could and should have been story elements. With that said I enjoyed it, But it wasn't the best movie of the year, I personally thought Star Trek was a much more enjoyable movie with only a few things missing. I'ma be pissed if someone bitches about cannon in the Star Trek movie.

#24 dizzyduck

dizzyduck

• Members
  • 627 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 02:47 AM

Good movie. It does a lot of things you don't often see in the sci-fi genre.

Best movie of the year? I still say it's UP, but I know for a fact that animated family films will never receive their proper due.

As for a Halo movie, I say it's a good thing it was canned. There really wouldn't have been any way to make it as good as the hype for it would have been, and Halo fans tend to be a demanding bunch as is. Besides, a year which yields both a Halo movie and a World of Warcrack movie would be practically unbearable.

EDIT: 3:45 AM > dizzy

Edited by dizzyduck, 23 August 2009 - 02:47 AM.

Duck off.
Art & Stuff

#25 ejrasmussen

ejrasmussen

• Members
  • 205 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 03:56 AM

I think district 9 was a very good movie. Saying that, I am not sure how I think it places against star trek because I have forgotten all about star trek over the summer, but all I want to do is say what I thought about District 9. First of all the aliens were amazing, they looked so real. There were shadows on them there was dirt all over them when they moved they brushed up dirt and the way they moved looked like they were living creatures. I persoally thought the plot was very good having a man that was an enemy to the praws but llater in the movie he needs their help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users