Photo

Shotgun

29 replies to this topic

#1 hellsangel

hellsangel

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 12 March 2004 - 10:37 AM

I have an idea for a shotgun but where can i get an air regulator so that the three or four barrels will get the same amount of air?

Edited by hellsangel, 12 March 2004 - 10:40 AM.

What would the robit do? Frame someone! -Futurama

I have 7 kids.
7!? Lady I love my cigar, but I take it out of my mouth once and a while!-Groucho Marks(The End of Live TV)

#2 Techno-Dann

Techno-Dann

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 12 March 2004 - 01:41 PM

Well... I've been toying with a similar idea for a while. Here's how I'm planning to build the system:
Posted Image
There really shouldn't be that much of a power difference between the barrels, as long as one dart isn't really loose.

Sorry about the crappy pic, I'm at school and I don't have my scanner or my plans.

[edit] Blasted geocities... try this. [/edit]

Edited by Techno-Dann, 12 March 2004 - 01:49 PM.

Do not mess with CXWQ, for he has Admin powers and will bann your flaming little a**.

Techno-Dann of the Seattle Tactical Nerf Team

#3 hellsangel

hellsangel

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 12 March 2004 - 02:09 PM

Same here I have to close the window every time the teacher comes over, Im on a Mac.

I have 7 kids.
7!? Lady I love my cigar, but I take it out of my mouth once and a while!-Groucho Marks(The End of Live TV)

#4 THIRST

THIRST

• Members
  • 1,099 posts

Posted 12 March 2004 - 03:09 PM

That wouldnt work techno. The middle barrels would have the fastest air delivery, and the most air, whereas those outer barrels probobally wont even fire.

THIRST
ko

#5 Formerly Sane

Formerly Sane

• Members
  • 210 posts

Posted 12 March 2004 - 03:29 PM

That wouldnt work techno. The middle barrels would have the fastest air delivery, and the most air, whereas those outer barrels probobally wont even fire.

Thats just what I was thinking. To make it work it would be better to have the air come down one pipe and split in two directions. Working with only two barrels and keeping them as equally distanced from the source of the air is the best way to go. Put three darts down each barrel and you have a 6 shot shotgun. Better yet, instead of the two barrels make PVC couplers and have interchangable 6 shot double barrel clips.
NERF: www.CYCLONENERF.netfirms.com
FLASH: www.thinkhappy.netfirms.com
BAND: www.skwalrock.com

#6 hellsangel

hellsangel

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 12 March 2004 - 03:54 PM

My idea was to connect four peices of vinyl tubing tubing together and attach it to a basic pull valve. The barrels would be almost exactly the same shape as Ratchet Blast's but would fire all at once with maybe two darts loaded in each of the tubes. Sorry that I dont have a picture but ill try to get one up.

Edited by hellsangel, 12 March 2004 - 03:56 PM.

I have 7 kids.

#7 Nerfer16

Nerfer16

• Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 12 March 2004 - 07:57 PM

To make it work it would be better to have the air come down one pipe and split in two directions. Working with only two barrels and keeping them as equally distanced from the source of the air is the best way to go. Put three darts down each barrel and you have a 6 shot shotgun. Better yet, instead of the two barrels make PVC couplers and have interchangable 6 shot double barrel clips.

That's a cool idea!
Nerfer16 of the Seattle Tactical Nerf Team
Nerf on!

#8 Black Wrath

Black Wrath

• Members
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 12 March 2004 - 08:18 PM

My idea was to connect four peices of vinyl tubing tubing together and attach it to a basic pull valve. The barrels would be almost exactly the same shape as Ratchet Blast's but would fire all at once with maybe two darts loaded in each of the tubes. Sorry that I dont have a picture but ill try to get one up.

I know exactly what this kid speaks of. It could work... it would look badass too. Damn it, now I'm all caught up in this hype! Now I have to build one.
Xx_Black-Wrath_xX of The Canadian Foam Militia

Not in the game anymore, but it was great while it lasted. Thanks for the great years of fun, NH!
--
Resident "Spawn of Talio"

#9 hellsangel

hellsangel

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 12 March 2004 - 09:49 PM

Yeah i thought of it last night when i was lying in bed. Ill try and post a picture of it as soon as its done. Is there anyway to use some sort of restrictor on it instead of tubing to connect the valve to the barrels. I would think that it would work much better that way because the barrels would get the same amount of air.

I was wondering if there was something that you could buy that would garentee the four barrels would get the same amount of air. If there is such a thing where could you buy it?

Edited by hellsangel, 13 March 2004 - 01:46 PM.

I have 7 kids.

#10 hellsangel

hellsangel

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 14 March 2004 - 08:18 PM

I'm pretty close to finishing the first version of my shotgun but then I'll have to go back and fix any problems with it. I'll try to get a pic up soon. Sorry bout the double post.

Edited by hellsangel, 14 March 2004 - 08:19 PM.

I have 7 kids.

#11 Techno-Dann

Techno-Dann

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 15 March 2004 - 12:14 AM

From what I've read of pneumatics, because the resistance is the same (or close to it) in each barrel, the pressure behind each dart should be close to the same, at least untill one dart leaves the system.
I'll have to build a small one to test it.
Do not mess with CXWQ, for he has Admin powers and will bann your flaming little a**.

#12 Black Wrath

Black Wrath

• Members
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 15 March 2004 - 12:47 AM

That wouldnt work techno.  The middle barrels would have the fastest air delivery, and the most air, whereas those outer barrels probobally wont even fire.

From what I've read of pneumatics, because the resistance is the same (or close to it) in each barrel, the pressure behind each dart should be close to the same, at least untill one dart leaves the system.
I'll have to build a small one to test it.

That's what we are saying. The barrels closer to the air source will get more power faster, and they will leave the system. Then your prediction comes into play. The rest of the darts will not have as much pressure behind them when they leave barrel, due to the holes in the system.
Xx_Black-Wrath_xX of The Canadian Foam Militia

Not in the game anymore, but it was great while it lasted. Thanks for the great years of fun, NH!
--
Resident "Spawn of Talio"

#13 blink 182

blink 182

• Members
  • 421 posts

Posted 15 March 2004 - 10:19 AM

This could work

..........t t t t t t \\\\\\\\\\
.........t D
.......t..t t t t t \\\\\\\\\\\
p<\\\\\\DDDDDDDDD
.......t..t t t t t \\\\\\\\\\
.........t D
...........t t t t t t \\\\\\\\\\

p=pump
t=vinal tube
\=pvc
d=pvc that is sealed(no air can get through it)
<=tire valve
. = ignore these I could not get the picture to work with out them
I think someone allready brought this idea up.

Edited by blink_182, 15 March 2004 - 10:26 AM.

New Price On Freedom, Buy Into It While Supplies Last...

#14 Techno-Dann

Techno-Dann

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 15 March 2004 - 01:18 PM

That's what we are saying. The barrels closer to the air source will get more power faster, and they will leave the system. Then your prediction comes into play. The rest of the darts will not have as much pressure behind them when they leave barrel, due to the holes in the system.

Well... When the air first enters the distribution system, the air should go to the area of least resistance, which would be compressing the air in the rest of the crosswise pipe. Then, when the pressure gets high enough that the darts offer less resistance than the air, the darts will be launched. From a purely theoretical standpoint, it seems to me like it would work. As I said, I'm going to have to build a test gun to be sure.

#15 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 15 March 2004 - 02:43 PM

The main problem is that resistance will never be the same in every barrel. FBR varies considerably from batch to batch and even foot to foot. The narrowest dart will start moving first, reducing the pressure behind the other darts.

The simple way to combat this is to dump the air in so fast that a dart moving will not have a significant effect on the back pressure. Unfortunately, narrow vinyl tubing is not going to cut it for relocating air that quickly.

If I was going to do something like this I think I'd put a cluster of 6 brass barrels inside a piece of 1.5" PVC and seal the area between the brass tubes. I'd use a size of brass that fits somewhat loosely on my darts (19/32" K&S in my case) so there would be negligible resistance on all barrels. Then I'd find a way to dump a LOT of air into the PVC as quickly as possible - a ball valve definitely isn't going to work here.

Interesting project, actually. You'd have a pretty accurate shotgun with a really tight spread. Of course, if I used something like that at a YANO, I'd get gang diddled for being such a bitch.
<meta name="cxwq" content="mostly water">

#16 Techno-Dann

Techno-Dann

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 15 March 2004 - 03:05 PM

Therein lies the basic problem of the entire thing. However, your idea sounds like a good solution.

#17 hellsangel

hellsangel

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 15 March 2004 - 06:31 PM

Try using a basic pull valve as found in the homemades section but just up the size of it. That should supply the air fast enough for it to work.

I have 7 kids.

#18 jpshyboi9

jpshyboi9

• Banned
  • 126 posts

Posted 05 April 2004 - 05:02 PM

get a pvc reducer to fit your air hose, cap it off after extending it with some pvc pipe and then lead some hoses to the barrles with more reducers on those. tape the pipes together and put some really big pvc pipe around it with a hole for the ball-valve trigger.

= is pvc pipe (3 or 4 pipes together and then the air chamber)
* is a ball-valve
+ is the really big pvc pipe
> is a reducer
I is an endcap
------- are hoses leading to the pvc pipes and the tire pump(make sure that they are all the same length.)
<> is the pump.

=====*---I====>---<> that is kinda what the parts would be like.

and the case like this ======(*)++++I
; (the handle)

kinda hard to think of it but it makes since to me.

#19 jpshyboi9

jpshyboi9

• Banned
  • 126 posts

Posted 05 April 2004 - 05:03 PM

or look here for a pump action idea

http://www26.brinkst...ndD/shotty.html

#20 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 05 April 2004 - 05:42 PM

Use the edit button rather than double posting.

#21 FuriousGeorge

FuriousGeorge

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 05 April 2004 - 09:23 PM

Another idea for a shotgun is where the air flow splits into 2 barrels equally spaced. Then, each barrel splits into two more equally spaced barrels. You could repeat this until you get the number of barrels you want. This would give all barrels the same pressure. All the barrels would look like a NCAA bracket. Do you think this would work?

Edited by FuriousGeorge, 05 April 2004 - 09:24 PM.

#22 hellsangel

hellsangel

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 06 April 2004 - 11:52 AM

That was my brother's idea too but would not work as well because air velocity/pressure would be lost when you split the air in different directions.

My shotgun is almost finished I just need to put a handle on and spray paint it black and I'll post a pick (it looks pretty cool).

I have 7 kids.

#23 Gamefreak

Gamefreak

• Members
  • 362 posts

Posted 06 April 2004 - 12:46 PM

I have my own idea for one. But, I'm not gonna be saying anything 'bout it 'till it's done. It will be done by the end of the year.
Gamertag : Corpseoftheyear

QUOTE(substance abuse)
No offense but soldat has to be the worst game ever made
Like anyone could even know that, GOSH.

#24 cxwq

cxwq

• Founders
  • 3,634 posts

Posted 06 April 2004 - 12:55 PM

Tank (backpack) -> HP hose -> regulator (backpack) -> vinyl hose -> dual push-button valves -> break-barrel breech.

With over/under 2' brass-inside-transparent-PVC barrels, you'll be the talk of the war.

I would have built it about 2 years ago (when I first posted this) if (a) homemades were allowed in my local wars and (b) I had $100 sitting around doing nothing.

For accuracy, power, and ROF nothing beats this sucker unless you get into the realm of magazine-fed semi-auto homemade action.

#25 SofaKing

SofaKing

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 06 April 2004 - 02:16 PM

If you want to do a single barrel,one of these,2' CPVC barrel,and some duct tape will get you a shotgun that fires 8 darts about 40'-60' with a spread ratio of about 1' per 10' of distance.I added theSplitfire for a handle.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users