Cutting Down On Useless Topics

Yes, I know this might get axed

7 replies to this topic

#1 Bullshit Dragon

Bullshit Dragon

• Members
  • 449 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 08:48 PM

I've noticed that lately we've had a VERY large number of totally stupid and pointless topics lately, siting a Mr. Pat_is_Back as a recent instigator. I run my own invision site and I've found that moderation of new topics is an excellent way to cut down on idiocy on the boards.

Pros:
-Reduced number of absolutely retarded topics
-Less post spamming and general flaming
-Better adherence to the CoC
-Less bandwidth used up by useless topics

Cons:
-Posters will have to be patient when making write-ups
-Increased workload for the mods
-E-mail notification doesn't always work.

If this isn't an acceptable solution, perhaps the posting rights of certain posters could be moderated instead, like a "one warning, then you get your posts moderated" or something like that.
Gimme back my bullets....

#2 TED

TED

In Brightest Prawn, in Darkest Shrimp...

• Administrators
  • 1,338 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 08:51 PM

This idea sucks! You shut your mouth when you are talking to me!
Star Wars can go fuck itself.

#3 death by cheez

death by cheez

• Members
  • 758 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 01:48 PM

It seems like an okay idea to me.... and yes, there have been MANY worthless topics.....

http://fairview.dead...eadfrontier.com

Great game, zombie apocalypse MMORPG. I'm acer34p3r on there.

#4 TED

TED

In Brightest Prawn, in Darkest Shrimp...

• Administrators
  • 1,338 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 07:57 PM

"Death by cheez" are you fucking kidding me? What is that a joke? Who the fuck dies from cheese?
Star Wars can go fuck itself.

#5 death by cheez

death by cheez

• Members
  • 758 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 08:05 PM

Fucktards like you who feel it is their god given duty to bash guys who have ideas that only you dislike. Has anyone else disliked this yet? No.

Edited by death by cheez, 20 July 2009 - 08:06 PM.

http://fairview.dead...eadfrontier.com

Great game, zombie apocalypse MMORPG. I'm acer34p3r on there.

#6 Blacksunshine

Blacksunshine

• Members
  • 948 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 08:14 PM

I think this is already happening to some degree. Most advanced or seasoned users (I'm grouping all the admin staff in this group) probably view the site by clicking the "View new posts" button. So they already see all the new topics and the topics that have been replied to. When something stupid comes up the first mod to catch it usually gives it the axe. The problem is and always will be those that do not use the time waiting to be validated to familiarize themselves with the policies and practices of this site. Nothing can be done to help those that can't help themselves aside from weeding them out as they come up.
So in theory your idea is fine and all. But it really does not do anything to change the current situation. All you are suggesting is forced moderation. Bare in mind that the staff does their thing for free. And when someone is doing you a free service you try not to impose too many "requirements" upon them.

Forcing every topic to be reviewed by a mod before it is allowed to be posted is really only going to create a ton of work for the staff. And since they are not getting paid for this you can't expect them to put in "shifts".
Forgive my spelling and grammar. I post from my cell phone a lot. Sometimes when I'm on the can at work.

#7 firstblood

firstblood

• Members
  • 133 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 08:36 PM

This idea sucks! You shut your mouth when you are talking to me!

I really hate retards like you... On topic, I think this is a good idea. Ive noticed the forums to be just riff raff lately.

Edited by firstblood, 20 July 2009 - 08:47 PM.

So I recently got a Razor Fin from Poo, and decided to dig right in.

#8 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,761 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 09:48 PM

-Increased workload for the mods

No Thanks

perhaps the posting rights of certain posters could be moderated instead, like a "one warning, then you get your posts moderated" or something like that.

They're called suspensions.

I really hate retards like you...

Don't mess with Ted.

Edited by CaptainSlug, 20 July 2009 - 09:49 PM.

The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users