When An External Air Source Becomes Cheap

31 replies to this topic

#26 Lt Stefan

Lt Stefan

• Members
  • 892 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 10:53 AM

1. Pricey.

A stock Longshot retails for over $30 now, and they only come with one clip.

2. Difficult to modify well.

Angel Breeches are not simple modifications. Brass can be expensive depending on where you are, and that cost can add quickly if you are buying your Longshot at retail price. Even with a well-done Angel Breech, Longshots still don't have the range of some of the other blasters that are popular primaries. You are also limited by your clips (or clip, if you buy one NIB).

Then you have to reinforce the bolt sled, strengthen the catch spring, and mod the stock to keep it from spontaneously collapsing, just to make it work properly. And even then, it still runs the risk of something going wrong. I wouldn't be surprised if someone's Longshot suddenly burst into flames for no reason.

Singled Longshots are worse. They're like bear traps for your fingers. Trying to salvage a Longshot with a broken bolt sled is one thing, but taking a $35 blaster and removing the only upside it has makes no sense to me.

3. Uncomfortable as snot.

The priming motion of the Longshot is awkward. Admit it. Remedying the awkward priming motion means putting in a shotgun grip, but that involves removing the integration potential that you referenced.

1. To do all the things like AssassinNF said, it wouldn't take more effort/money than some other primaries. Sure you could make four BBBB's with the money, but it probably costs less than making a Doomsayer. Also, I always see LS's on ebay and for sale here, and they're cheaper than NIB.

2. The modification process of an LS can be difficult indeed, but if you want to make any gun have its performance tripled from stock, it will be difficult and expensive. It's like some old saying "If you want something good you have to work for it" or something. Well anyway, the same would be like Nerf guns. If you want to mod a gun so it is a good reliable primary, there may have to be some sacrifice. If you don't want to spend that kind of money on a plastic toy, like I said buy a Big Blast.

3. It is possible to machine a shotgun grip that will not interfere with the usual LSFG integration (even if you don't use the internals of it, as long as it's the shell (e.g. I have an at2k in mine)). And for smaller people, with the extended stock it is pretty easy to prime. Personally, I don't even think the shell is uncomfortable.

Edited by Lt. Stefan, 13 June 2009 - 10:55 AM.

#27 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 03:08 PM

Your problem with it is reliability, right? The bolt to orange nub break point can easily fixed with machining a new nub out of aluminum and then soldering the pieces together. When my set-up breaks I plan on doing just this.

My "problem" is that you just said "easily fixed" and then outlined making a replacement part from aluminum, which then has to be soldered in place. That's not "easy".
Due to how many moving parts it has, nothing about the Longshot is "easy".
Modifying a Big Blast, Big Bad Bow, or Pump Shotgun into something you can use at a war are ACTUALLY easy and won't cost anywhere near as much in money or time.

In order to make a Longshot decent primary you have to replace, reinforce, or repair half of the internals of it.
When stock all it has going for it is the gimmick of the box magazine. Which are slow and awkward to reload in the middle of a round.

To me it's a terrible primary because I can't really use it to introduce new people to the hobby. I consider it to be nearly as useless as the Rapid Fire Rifle or DoubleShot.

Edited by CaptainSlug, 14 June 2009 - 03:14 PM.

The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#28 mystefansdontflystraight

mystefansdontflystraight

• Members
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 03:11 PM

I agree with a few things here. I have never used a clipped longshot in a war, though I have played with and against some people that do.
Crooked routinely owns at every war, and for the last two, he was using an angel breeched longshot. He let me fire the thing, and believe me, there were NO jamming issues, and it maybe got 5ft less than my crossbow, which was getting about 100ft at the beginning of the day.
I personally took a couple painful shots from it. Having 6 shots like that is just amazing. Drum mag+shotty grip= Pure ownage
IT was not innacurate, two of the shots he took on me were from 65ft+ away, and he hit me right in the middle of the chest.
There was no real need for an integration (His did have a Mav, I don't believe he fired it all day), as it had good ROF, range, and accuracy.

Onto HPA tanks. I have never seen anyone nerf with one that was easily re-loadable such as a MS. When I was at massacre 4, FA_24 had his eyes of fire hooked up to some kind of air compressor. It was fine, only because it took 5 minutes to re-load. If someone did all of FA_24's MS mod, did a double clip like CS did, and had like 4 clips stashed in a backpack with their HPA tank, I can see it being cheap.
But we allow doomsayer indoors up here, what the hell do I know.
QUOTE(Blacksunshine @ Dec 24 2009, 02:15 PM) View Post

QUOTE(white moonlight @ Dec 23 2009, 01:29 PM) View Post

It's just screaming to be rearloading...

I seen a movie about that once.

#29 CaptainSlug

CaptainSlug

Resident Mad Scientist

• Administrators
  • 4,763 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 03:22 PM

did a double clip like CS did, and had like 4 clips stashed in a backpack with their HPA tank, I can see it being cheap.
But we allow doomsayer indoors up here, what the hell do I know.

It's not at all practical to carry around any extra 20-dart clips due to their size. The rare instances when I used it I would just reload the one.
And I think our relative definitions of "cheap" don't match up.
In the realm of Nerf I don't consider anything that is going to cost you more than $70 in supplies order to use it to be "cheap".

I don't want to see more tanks, but I also don't see any reason to ban them yet because the tank isn't a blaster itself.

Edited by CaptainSlug, 14 June 2009 - 03:22 PM.

The little critters of nature, they don't know that they're ugly. That's very funny, a fly marrying a bumble bee. I told you I'd shoot, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me?

#30 analogkid

analogkid

• Members
  • 425 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 03:43 PM

The game changes... no longer is it, opps I missed on my shot now I have to outrun them while trying to reload. It becomes, oh I missed, let me fire again, and again, etc. Cover and angles become more important.

Some things will get banned, but somethings will just change the way we play. New game types will be invented so the old style play will live on (ex, for this round nothing that has more then 4 shots).

Or, more accurately, skill and patience become less important. I don't know how everyone else does things, but where I play, most of our blasters are single shot pistols or primaries with speed loaders. If you miss, you drop back to reload. This encourages a lot more movement than just hunkering down somewhere and taking random shots at the bush that your opponent is hunkered down in. There is some variety, we have a couple magstrikes and a vulcan, but those have the trade-off of lower range.

I like paintball and nerf, but I like them for different reasons. The use of external air for the purpose of nerfing is unnecessary and would only serve to make Nerf paintball with different projectiles.

#31 TantumBull

TantumBull

• Moderators
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 03:46 PM

My "problem" is that you just said "easily fixed" and then outlined making a replacement part from aluminum, which then has to be soldered in place. That's not "easy".
Due to how many moving parts it has, nothing about the Longshot is "easy".
Modifying a Big Blast, Big Bad Bow, or Pump Shotgun into something you can use at a war are ACTUALLY easy and won't cost anywhere near as much in money or time.

In order to make a Longshot decent primary you have to replace, reinforce, or repair half of the internals of it.
When stock all it has going for it is the gimmick of the box magazine. Which are slow and awkward to reload in the middle of a round.

To me it's a terrible primary because I can't really use it to introduce new people to the hobby. I consider it to be nearly as useless as the Rapid Fire Rifle or DoubleShot.

Okay, you have me there. It is in no way a simple modification to turn a Longshot into a competitive primary. I understand how it would be a useless blaster for bringing people into the hobby.

My choice of words with "easy fix" was probably not a great one. It can be time consuming and annoying. But I truly enjoy modding. The harder a mod is, the more fun I have with it because it takes longer and requires me to be more intuitive.

I guess the longshot isn't for everyone. But there are people who can make war worthy blasters out of them and who do enjoy wielding them.

#32 SchizophrenicMC

SchizophrenicMC

• Members
  • 390 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 08:41 PM

I like paintball and nerf, but I like them for different reasons. The use of external air for the purpose of nerfing is unnecessary and would only serve to make Nerf paintball with different projectiles.

That's an invalid cop. Nerf and Airsoft both use plungers, so is Nerf Airsoft with different projectiles? Sure, you could say that air guns aren't Airsoft. I guess that point would be somewhat valid. But Nerf isn't the only thing that uses an air pump to launch a projectile.

Personally, I say, like a few others, that if you spend the time and money crafting an external tank system for an airgun, you can use it. I mean, you know, as long as no one gets welted too bad. That's what makes Nerf, Nerf. It's not the launch method. It's the projectile. They're made of soft, yielding foam, not plastic, steel, lead, or corn-syrup-based, dyed fish-oil-filled objects.

And to relate the Longshot tangent we seem to have had to this, what about screwing the plunger, adding a way to get air from a HPA tank to propel the dart, and going from there?
Just a thought, admittedly one I've had for several months now.
QUOTE(NerfUK @ May 8 2009, 11:54 AM) View Post

(I forgot to take a picture of my own poppers)

QUOTE(analogkid @ May 20 2009, 10:04 PM) View Post

Every size rod you could ever want.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users