Dremel Accident

This is a MUST READ

39 replies to this topic

#1 Liam

Liam

• Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 07:37 PM

Listen everyone, I know there have been threads like this before, but I believe I MUST emphasize this. As you have probably seen, threads or topics regarding safety during nerf wars and modifications. I am just writing this topic to emphasize these safety rules.

I don't care if this isn't "contributing to the NIC" but I believe it must be said, and will give many people a heads up.

I just got back from the hospital because I had been using a dremel to cut something off of my longshot. being stupid I was not WEARING EYE PROTECTION. As I began to dremel off the top rail, a piece of sharp, hot, plastic, flung at me and hit me square in the eye, while the dremel was on it's 30k RPM setting. Luckily I am expected to be okay, but I can not see out of my left eye, and my vision is predicted to not come back for a few days.

Everybody, these accidents CAN HAPPEN TO YOU.

Use eye protection, and wear any other protective gear you can while modding.

This little hobby of ours can be dangerous, and I highly suggest that everybody take this post of mine into consideration.

Off topic: I just realized, it's my 2 year birthday here. What a great way to celebrate it...

Edited by Liam, 24 May 2009 - 03:23 PM.

The chances of one person taking a bomb on a plane are one in a million. The chances of two people taking a bomb on a plane are one in a trillion. So if you're scared of a terrorist attack, bring a bomb on a plane.

#2 1337

• Members
  • 375 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 07:44 PM

Wow... Irony? I just finished telling my brother to keep his body out of the plane of the cutting wheel.
Join the REVOLUTION!

#3 LNL plus LS equals WIN

LNL plus LS equals WIN

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 07:47 PM

I bet that hurt and that it is very true.I hope your eye gets better. :unsure:
Jun 24 2009, 02:57 PM
MY ASS IS GLORIOUS!
VACC

QUOTE(CA13 @ Aug 15 2009, 05:59 PM) View Post

Ryan- Could you weigh the balls for extra oomph? Maybe cut one ball open (like a slit) and spread it so you could get some weights in there?

#4 ilzot

ilzot

• Members
  • 286 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 07:57 PM

Yeah. For these resons my parents won't let me get a dremel.

Shit.

But that mustah hurt.
QUOTE(Vinnie D. @ Feb 1 2010, 05:28 AM) View Post

... to be able to get a better burst or sustained fire, rather than blowing the whole load at once.

#5 Chris is cool

Chris is cool

• Banned
  • 174 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 08:11 PM

My grandpa who is a construction worker had a piece of sheet metal flung at his eye while grinding it. It was his first few years in the business before he bought his OWN business and to date doesn't let me use any power tools without glasses. Kudos for writing this thread. It IS useful and people SHOULD read this.

#6 cheesypiza001

cheesypiza001

• Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 08:17 PM

You may want to increase the font size of some of the words so that the words will draw peoples attention. For example, you may want to do this to "hospital," "dremel," and "can not (which should be cannot) see out of my left eye."

#7 spartan062

spartan062

• Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 08:32 PM

I find stuff like this ironic. For example, I drew this sfety poster (an assignment for Tech Ed) about being careful when using the bandsaw. The next class period, I cut my self on the bandsaw.

Be very careful when working with ANY tool be it a screwdriver (I have cut myself using one once, don't ask), a Dremel, a bandsaw, a table saw, etc.

Always where protective gear (Goggles/glasses/Facemask) and NEVER wear long sleeve clothing when working with the bigger machines.

Kudos for posting a thread to point out the dangers of such tools.

P.S. I hope that you eye gets better soon.
Join the Revolution- NerfRevolution.com

#8 Blue

Blue

• Members
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 08:32 PM

I sure hope you got a really cool eye patch to make the best out of a bad situation. I have the cheapo $20 dremel, and it's battery is not what it used to be, so the high setting barely melts plastic, causing clumps to stick together, instead of flying towards your face. I also use it so the spinning wheel is parallel to me, so the bits that do fly out don't come in my direction. Eye protection is a must though, I'd recommend getting a special hook or shelf right next to your dremel just for the goggles, because if you leave them somewhere inconvenient, the chances of you getting them right before you dremel are next to none.

Bob, I emailed you.

#9 Blacksunshine

Blacksunshine

• Members
  • 948 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 09:18 PM

Bummer. Maybe next time read the instructions. You know where it says "WEAR EYE PROTECTION". Yeah. it actually means it.
Forgive my spelling and grammar. I post from my cell phone a lot. Sometimes when I'm on the can at work.

#10 k9turrent

k9turrent

• Members
  • 829 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 09:20 PM

Yeah that has happen to me too... but I was lucky enough you blink just before. But Cuts on the eyelid hurt...
QUOTE View Post

That's about it. And thanks Angela who helped me with these pictures.. It looks huge in her hands.

HOLY CRAP!

FU ALL

#11 Liam

Liam

• Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 09:24 PM

Bummer. Maybe next time read the instructions. You know where it says "WEAR EYE PROTECTION". Yeah. it actually means it.

Yes, that is what this thread is supposed to emphasize. I was being stupid, and did not pay attention.
The chances of one person taking a bomb on a plane are one in a million. The chances of two people taking a bomb on a plane are one in a trillion. So if you're scared of a terrorist attack, bring a bomb on a plane.

#12 Link

Link

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 09:31 PM

Just to emphasize EVEN MORE. Yesterday, while using my dremel, the cutting wheel caught on the plastic. It then went out of control and hit my hand. Luckily, I was able to gain control of it before the dremel did serious damage. I was left with half my finger cut through and cauterized. Be careful with this stuff, NO MATTER WHAT.

#13 SchizophrenicMC

SchizophrenicMC

• Members
  • 390 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 09:34 PM

I'm gonna go to both sides.

Hey! Idiot modders on the NIC, listen up! Don't fucking do stupid shit! Wear some fucking goggles when you use your dremel. Something is almost guaranteed to fly into your eye if you don't.

As for you, Liam, any pain you've been inflicted, as well as medical bills and loss of sight, is your own, damn fault. It says on the dremel to wear goggles. It says on the box. Further, everyone says, "Wear goggles when using tools." So thanks for being the example to set for everyone.
QUOTE(NerfUK @ May 8 2009, 11:54 AM) View Post

(I forgot to take a picture of my own poppers)

QUOTE(analogkid @ May 20 2009, 10:04 PM) View Post

Every size rod you could ever want.

#14 The Kart Racing Nerf Man

The Kart Racing Nerf Man

• Members
  • 150 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 09:46 PM

I am really sorry man. I hope that you get better! ^_^
Oh, and you should increase the font size too, like cheesypiza001 said previously.
I'm a Mac

Paste this into your sig if you are a Mac.

#15 Liam

Liam

• Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 10:26 PM

I'm gonna go to both sides.

Hey! Idiot modders on the NIC, listen up! Don't fucking do stupid shit! Wear some fucking goggles when you use your dremel. Something is almost guaranteed to fly into your eye if you don't.

As for you, Liam, any pain you've been inflicted, as well as medical bills and loss of sight, is your own, damn fault. It says on the dremel to wear goggles. It says on the box. Further, everyone says, "Wear goggles when using tools." So thanks for being the example to set for everyone.

Do not act like an asshole. I assure you that I have had copiously larger amounts of modding experience than you have. I DO USUALLY WEAR eye protection, this was a simple act of forgetfulness, I am no where near an "idiot modder." Also, do not tell me that all of your mods have gone smoothly and you have simply never even slightly injured yourself. This thread is to make people further aware of accident probability, more than just the tiny little label on the tool.

#16 Mukersman

Mukersman

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 10:27 PM

As I began to dremel off the top rail, a piece of sharp, hot, plastic, flung at me and hit me square in the eye, while the dremel was on it's 30k RPM setting.

Do dremels normally go spin that quickly? mine only goes to 10k RPMs and I can actually touch every bit while it is spinning at that speed and it doesn't hurt at all. But anyway, good message to give to people.

#17 Liam

Liam

• Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 10:30 PM

Do dremels normally go spin that quickly? mine only goes to 10k RPMs and I can actually touch every bit while it is spinning at that speed and it doesn't hurt at all. But anyway, good message to give to people.

Yes they do go up to 30k RPM, and it is quite fast.

example:
http://www.hmcelectr...006/Dremel-275/

#18 spartan062

spartan062

• Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 10:32 PM

I think that some of the bigger ones can.

EDIT: Damn, Liam beat me to it.

Edited by spartan.062, 23 May 2009 - 10:32 PM.

#19 Darken

Darken

• Members
  • 166 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 10:39 PM

For future times, I wouldn't use your dremel at the 30k setting. At that setting the thing scares me from how fast it's going.

#20 Liam

Liam

• Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 10:50 PM

For future times, I wouldn't use your dremel at the 30k setting. At that setting the thing scares me from how fast it's going.

I agree completely, I was just in a hurry, and when its at 30k, I feel like it's gonna jump up and kill me.

Edited by Liam, 23 May 2009 - 10:50 PM.

#21 spartan062

spartan062

• Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 11:24 PM

I agree. I also wouldn't suggest buying those shitty little cutoff wheels (the ones that are less than a milimeter thick) as they break too easily and quickly become an annoying safety hazard.

Edited by spartan.062, 23 May 2009 - 11:26 PM.

#22 Liam

Liam

• Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 11:27 PM

[/quote]
Also, I wouldn't suggest buying those shitty little cutoff wheels (the ones that are less than a milimeter thick) as they break too easily and quickly become an annoying safety hazard.
[/quote]

Well, the ones Im using are very thin, but they are the ones that came with the dremel. Should I buy thicker ones?

#23 spartan062

spartan062

• Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 11:34 PM

Well, the ones Im using are very thin, but they are the ones that came with the dremel. Should I buy thicker ones?

YES.

Although they are more expensive, they are higher quality.

The little ones break if you slightly change you cut angle (which, since the Dremel is hand-held, can happen quite often).

The bigger ones are much stronger and will not break very often (if at all).

I have had many of the little ones fragment and come flying at my face and arms. Not very fun.

Edited by spartan.062, 23 May 2009 - 11:36 PM.

#24 fallinouttadabox

fallinouttadabox

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 12:05 AM

I think you should take this opportunity to dress like a pirate 24/7.

You've tried touching the bits while they spin? That is one of the stupidest things I've ever heard.
fallinouttadabox (intentionally lowercase): sometimes you want to be somewhere between thinking in the box and thinking out of the box. Trust me, I would know.

#25 Blue

Blue

• Members
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 12:54 AM

The "cuts metal" saw thing seems like what they use to cut casts off, they only time I've ever done damage to myself with a dremel bit is when it's still hot and I try to change it, or the times my fingernail got sanded. I don't know about a 30k setting, but at 10k you can just grab the bit and it will stop moving.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users