44 replies to this topic

#1 AssassinNF

AssassinNF

• Members
  • 904 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 05:49 PM

I finally bought some brass.
Posted Image

In the past few weeks I've been experimenting with a shitload of different breech designs, and I decided to try to engineer one around an LS clip. Then I looked over at my lonely PAS...

and this is the result:
Posted Image
It's essentially a PAS with an Angel Breech that uses LS clips.

Here's the breech assembly, closed:
Posted Image
Here it is open:
Posted Image

Exploded View:
Posted Image
Close-up of the breech components:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
The outer piece is 19/32" with 1/2" inside it (like an Angle Breech), and it's the part that moves. It goes back into the plunger chamber when you pull back the pump.
The inner piece is 9/16".
The shell is made from 1" PVC, and the "endcaps" at each end that hold the whole assembly together are 1/2" PVC couplers and 1/2" PVC, held in with screws.

The sliding arm:
Posted Image
Posted Image

The clip just snaps right into place:
Posted Image

This contraption performs beautifully. I can fire the PAS as fast as I can pump it with no jams or dart-cutting. The whole assembly is completely and easily removeable, too. And if I run out of clips, I can just use it as a standard breech, and single load darts.

The ranges at this point are in the mid 70's, but that's only because this PAS only has the stock spring, and the barrel is a little short. I'll be tweaking it further to see if I can squeeze 80's and 90's out of it. Shouldn't be too hard.

Finally my PAS can compete with it's big brother - the Doomsayer.

Some more pics:

Breech open:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Breech closed:
Posted Image

A couple ammo-holders I added a while back (2 on each side):
Posted Image

Edited by AssassinNF, 17 May 2009 - 06:00 PM.

Probably dead by now, or something.

#2 AssassinNF

AssassinNF

• Members
  • 904 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 05:53 PM

And the finished product:
Posted Image
Posted Image

I had originally planned to do a full write-up on this, but it went through so many different designs and tweaks that it became impossible to do a write-up. I can, however, take more pictures/measurements for anyone planning on doing this mod.

And so a SoulReaper is born.

Q's / C's / F's?

#3 StealthMan

StealthMan

• DO NOT TRADE
  • 285 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 05:57 PM

So, when you pull the "pump" back, its like pulling the bolt back on a LS?
<!--quoteo(post=212906:date=Feb 16 2009, 06:30 PM:name=TantumBull)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TantumBull @ Feb 16 2009, 06:30 PM) View Post</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm not ashamed to admit that I have tried to eat my stefans. They just looked so yummy.
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

NERF<b>STRONG</b> #108

#4 diamondbacknf1626

diamondbacknf1626

• Members
  • 835 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 05:58 PM

God damn it. There goes my contest entry.

And no, that's not all I have to say. This looks great. Well executed, and the ranges are very nice for the stock spring. At least the creation that void mine's originality in the contest was well done. Much better than if some noob had slapped an ugly ass breech on one of these, making mine "unoriginal."

My friend and I have been discussing something of the sort for a time now, and have designed breeches, setups, etc. The goal of it was exactly what you said, to compete with the doomsayer. However, it's main purpose was to replace the doomsayer in wars that it's banned, maintaining power and ROF.

Another goal of ours was to make it removable, which I see you've accomplished here as well.

I like the ammo holders, by the way.

Hell, this saves me a lot of work. Nice, nice job.

Also, change the name. Ice named his Doomsayer this. Better yet, tell him to change his Doomsayer's name. I just figured I'd give you the heads up...better know now than find out later...

Edited by diamondbacknf1626, 17 May 2009 - 06:01 PM.

QUOTE(TxNerfer @ Nov 13 2010, 12:42 PM) View Post

Hey...I got a crazy idea: how about you stop all that sigging stuff? It's not even my thread and it annoys me.

#5 AssassinNF

AssassinNF

• Members
  • 904 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 05:58 PM

Exactly. Works just like an Angel Breech.

#6 StealthMan

StealthMan

• DO NOT TRADE
  • 285 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 05:59 PM

Exactly. Works just like an Angel Breech.

Sweet.
<!--quoteo(post=212906:date=Feb 16 2009, 06:30 PM:name=TantumBull)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TantumBull @ Feb 16 2009, 06:30 PM) View Post</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm not ashamed to admit that I have tried to eat my stefans. They just looked so yummy.

NERF<b>STRONG</b> #108

#7 rokor

rokor

• Members
  • 792 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 05:59 PM

I was working on something similar a while back, never ended up working well. Great job on getting it completed though, I'll try it this way.
"Sorry rokor...my cousin is gay too...it's okay...we're tolerant"
Talio in Shoutbox.

#8 LoneNerfer

LoneNerfer

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 06:00 PM

I have one thing to say and that is mad props I've always wondered how to make the PAS stand up to a doomsayer. One quick question, does the LS clip or in the picture recon clip wiggle around at all because there doesn't seem to be anything other then the breech to keep it steady.

#9 white moonlight

white moonlight

• Members
  • 305 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 06:09 PM

This is great.

I have been waiting for somebody to put an angel breech on a gun besides the longshot.

With the stock spring and those ranges I'm definetly going to make one.

Nice mod.
On his trec to Colonfest...
VengefulWaffle BOY, 12 KILLED IN MOUNTAIN PASS BY WILD RACCON, EXPERTS SAY HE ATTEMPTED TO HOLD IT OFF WITH NERF NITEFINDERS
POLICE SAY: ALCOHOL MAY HAVE BEEN INVOLVED
Guess who he was talking about...

#10 AssassinNF

AssassinNF

• Members
  • 904 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 06:10 PM

God damn it. There goes my contest entry.

And no, that's not all I have to say. This looks great. Well executed, and the ranges are very nice for the stock spring. At least the creation that void mine's originality in the contest was well done. Much better than if some noob had slapped an ugly ass breech on one of these, making mine "unoriginal."

My friend and I have been discussing something of the sort for a time now, and have designed breeches, setups, etc. The goal of it was exactly what you said, to compete with the doomsayer. However, it's main purpose was to replace the doomsayer in wars that it's banned, maintaining power and ROF.

Another goal of ours was to make it removable, which I see you've accomplished here as well.

I like the ammo holders, by the way.

Hell, this saves me a lot of work. Nice, nice job.

Also, change the name. Ice named his Doomsayer this. Better yet, tell him to change his Doomsayer's name. I just figured I'd give you the heads up...better know now than find out later...

Thank you! That's the reason I started on this project - the PAS seemed like a poor little sidekick to the Doomsayer, and I wanted to change that.

Eh, I don't care what Ice names his guns, I'm keeping the name. :lol: Thanks for the heads up.

I was working on something similar a while back, never ended up working well. Great job on getting it completed though, I'll try it this way.

Heh, the first iteration of this project was a complete disaster, but I kept re-designing it until I came up with this. Good luck if you end up trying this.

I have one thing to say and that is mad props I've always wondered how to make the PAS stand up to a doomsayer. One quick question, does the LS clip or in the picture recon clip wiggle around at all because there doesn't seem to be anything other then the breech to keep it steady.

Thanks! The clip wiggles around just a little, but the 1" PVC part does a good job of keeping it in place.

#11 cheesypiza001

cheesypiza001

• Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 06:19 PM

Do you think you could label the exploded view? And if you are feeling happy, then a materials list would be awesome. Thanks so much for posting this. It is amazingly clean, and looks as though it functions perfectly.

#12 Lt Stefan

Lt Stefan

• Members
  • 892 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 06:33 PM

Amazing. Three questions:

1. Did you have to mod the clips?

2. That looks really thin walled. Did you shave it down or is it just normal SCH. 40 pipe?

3. How did you fit that into a 1/2" coupler? (What/how did you add to the 1" pipe?

#13 Retri

Retri

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 06:37 PM

Is it at all front heavy from the breech! Other than that amazing job!

Edited by Retri, 17 May 2009 - 06:41 PM.

~Got Wheatens?

#14 AssassinNF

AssassinNF

• Members
  • 904 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 06:41 PM

This is great.

I have been waiting for somebody to put an angel breech on a gun besides the longshot.

With the stock spring and those ranges I'm definetly going to make one.

Nice mod.

This certainly isn't the only gun I'm adding a breech to. :rolleyes:
Thanks.

Do you think you could label the exploded view? And if you are feeling happy, then a materials list would be awesome. Thanks so much for posting this. It is amazingly clean, and looks as though it functions perfectly.

Thanks! I will put together a materials list and a labeled picture and post it.

Amazing. Three questions:

1. Did you have to mod the clips?

2. That looks really thin walled. Did you shave it down or is it just normal SCH. 40 pipe?

3. How did you fit that into a 1/2" coupler? (What/how did you add to the 1" pipe?

1. Not for this mod, but my clips are modded for my LS that has a BBB spring in it. This mod will work with stock clips fine - you'd just have a slightly different opening in the PVC.

2. Nope, it's standard 1" SCH 40 PVC.

3. I sanded down the coupler and the inside of the 1" PVC, and put the coupler in the 1" PVC.

Is it at all front heavy from the breech?

Not at all. The extra weight isn't even noticeable.

Edited by AssassinNF, 17 May 2009 - 06:42 PM.

#15 Split

Split

• Members
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 06:42 PM

Have you seen the pistol splat thing with the "slide angel breech" that I made not too long ago? This is virtually the same, minus the part that significantly reduces the dead space. Maybe you could try integrating that part - it may help your ranges a bit as well. Edit: got my own mods confused. The part about reducing dead space is in the Thundersplat. Check that out too, though you may need a higher diameter tube for increased airflow. Would be an interesting experiment on air flow. [/edit]

Otherwise, it's pretty cool, albeit (maybe only slightly) less reliable than a normal PAS, which is a feat in and of itself. I really like the way the "cover" (quote Ice9, for lack of a better term) goes back into the plunger tube. I had always wondered if someone would pull off a design based around it, and your appears to work beautifully, so props. Did that take a lot of tweaking/planning, or did it come together naturally, because of the gap between the closed "cover" and plunger?

Edited by Splitlip, 17 May 2009 - 06:47 PM.

Teehee.

#16 Banshee

Banshee

• Members
  • 668 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 06:44 PM

Would you be willing to start selling these pre-assembled ready for installation? How much would I expect to pay for something like that?
Like my page on Facebook! PM me, I do commissions!

#17 Firefox551

Firefox551

• Members
  • 167 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 06:52 PM

I second Bansee's request and question. I would be really interested in buying one of these, depending on the price of course.
"Whats algebra? I like pudding." - My friend Luke

"We have to remember what we all have in common, and why we are here. Our shared love of shooting things, and each other with little foam darts." - Niaja Blue

#18 nerfer34

nerfer34

• Members
  • 1,594 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 06:58 PM

This is the nicest breech that I've ever seen to date. Sick job. I'd buy one of these if you sold a few.
<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->God Damn it Groove, you stole my kill.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->-OMC

#19 cheesypiza001

cheesypiza001

• Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 07:06 PM

I just realized. If you combined the whole breech system you made with Ryan#####'s new shotgun grip +bow prototype, you would have one ass-kicking foam-slinging machine.

#20 diamondbacknf1626

diamondbacknf1626

• Members
  • 835 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 07:07 PM

One more thing: Combine that with this.

That would be freaking awesome.

Anyway, as for buying the breeches, sure, I would, but I'm also working currently on my own.

Hah, cheezypizza beat me to it.

Edited by diamondbacknf1626, 17 May 2009 - 07:07 PM.

Hey...I got a crazy idea: how about you stop all that sigging stuff? It's not even my thread and it annoys me.

#21 AssassinNF

AssassinNF

• Members
  • 904 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 07:24 PM

Here's the pic I promised:
Posted Image

Materials List:
1 1/2" PVC Couplered PAS
1" PVC
19/32" Brass
9/16" Brass
17/32" Brass
1/2" Brass
1/2" PVC
1 1/2" PVC coupler
1 1/2" CPVC T-coupler
1 1/2" CPVC Elbow
1/2" CPVC
2 Screws
LS Clip
Elecrical Tape
Super Glue

Tools Needed:
Dremel
Pipe Cutter
Drill
Screwdriver

Tools Recommended:
Drill Press
Grinder or Sander
Deburring Tool
Ruler
Patience

Tell me if anything's unclear.

Have you seen the pistol splat thing with the "slide angel breech" that I made not too long ago? This is virtually the same, minus the part that significantly reduces the dead space. Maybe you could try integrating that part - it may help your ranges a bit as well. Edit: got my own mods confused. The part about reducing dead space is in the Thundersplat. Check that out too, though you may need a higher diameter tube for increased airflow. Would be an interesting experiment on air flow. [/edit]

Otherwise, it's pretty cool, albeit (maybe only slightly) less reliable than a normal PAS, which is a feat in and of itself. I really like the way the "cover" (quote Ice9, for lack of a better term) goes back into the plunger tube. I had always wondered if someone would pull off a design based around it, and your appears to work beautifully, so props. Did that take a lot of tweaking/planning, or did it come together naturally, because of the gap between the closed "cover" and plunger?

Yeah I saw it. Reducing the dead space on my gun might help ranges a little, but I think the main problem is the fact that the actual barrel is only about 6". I might try that, though.

The difficult part of the mod was getting the LS clip system to work flawlessly. The gap between the 19/32" brass and the plunger head keeps them from ever contacting, so that part came together pretty easily.

Thanks for the offers guys, but I'm afraid I won't be selling these. Sorry.

EDIT: Haha, maybe Ryan201821 will implement something like this.

Edited by AssassinNF, 18 May 2009 - 10:25 PM.

#22 cheesypiza001

cheesypiza001

• Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 07:47 PM

Thanks so much for making the diagram and the list! If and when you get a chance, a video would be pretty cool too. Thanks again so much for showing us this awesome creation of yours.

#23 diamondbacknf1626

diamondbacknf1626

• Members
  • 835 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 07:54 PM

Wow, I have to say. Originally, I more skimmed through, noticing cleanliness and got the basic idea. Now, I've actually read through it, and that picture makes it so much easier to understand. Again, I must say nice work, and like those before me, thank you. I will be re-creating this as an option opposed to my manual breech seen here (Insert link in a moment). That way I have multiple options. I must say, one plus for me is that it's removable. I really like that about it, and that was one of my main goals.

Another was something else that you accomplished. Having a portion of the breech slide into the plunger tube. Well executed, again. I am so glad to see all of my ideas done out so beautifully (Even though they came from your head for this project), but you have no idea how similar this is exactly to what I was designing. Your design though is much simpler, I believe. Mine was a bit complicated, but I think I will go through with it at some point, just to see. Anyway, again, nice work. Sorry I double posted, but that picture really did help my understanding of this breech's operation.

#24 StealthMan

StealthMan

• DO NOT TRADE
  • 285 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 07:57 PM

Thanks for the offers guys, but I'm afraid I would be selling these. Sorry.

Sorry for what?

NERF<b>STRONG</b> #108

#25 Chaos-blades

Chaos-blades

• Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 08:06 PM

Good work

It's a good clean mod with maximum practicality.

I'd do the same thing if i had the time, money and patience.

Well done
- "I'll have a Farmer's Union Iced Coffee thanks"
- "sorry we don't have Farmer's Union, we've got Oak if you like"
- "Looks like it'll be nothing for me then"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users