Homemade Check Valves

Found on a Supersoaker forum

3 replies to this topic

#1 k9turrent

k9turrent

• Members
  • 829 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 08:52 PM

[quote name='http://forums.sscentral.org/t4649/'] In an effort to make homemade soakers more affordable in general, I have designed a very simple but effective check-valve, that can be built at home for the amazingly low cost of $3.60 each and takes only five easy steps to build.
These instruction will show you exactly how to build a 1/2-inch check-valve. You can vary the sizes of material for different diameter pipes.

The design and operation of it are basically the same as their store bought brethren. A short tube with a reducer at each end, a cone of rubber pressing on one of the ends from the inside and a spring that is pushing on the rubber.
The only parts you need are:

A 2-inch long section of 3/4-inch PVC.

A 3/4 x 2-3/16 x .062 compression spring.
I got those numbers off the box of springs. The first two indicate width and length of the spring in inches. The last number is how thick the metal is. These numbers should allow you to find the exact spring, but if you cant, just try to find a compression spring that fits well into a 3/4-inch pipe and is not too long.

A 1 1/4-inch "CampBell Hausfeld" bike-tire valve.
These are easily identifiable by a cone-shaped rubber gasket. The rubber is the part you really need here. If you can find another cone-shaped piece of rubber however, it may work just as well, but these seem to be perfect for my purposes.

And two, 3/4-Inch female-smooth to 1/2-inch male-threaded couplers.
Posted Image

1: Following the instructions on the can, PVC Cement one of the couplers onto an end of the PVC pipe. Let this dry.
2: Insert the neck of the tire-valve into one of the ends of the spring.
Posted Image

3: Slide this tire-valve and spring assembly down the pipe. The end of the spring should protrude about a half inch out of the PVC.
Posted Image

4: Glue the second coupler onto the other end of the PVC to close it up. Remember hold the coupler pressed onto the PVC pipe with your hands for about 30 seconds, so that they do not pop apart.

You have now built a fully functioning check-valve in only a few minutes and saved about $6.40 on your next project requiring one of these.
Posted Image

I have not actually used these in a homemade yet, but I did run some pressure tests and found that they worked beautifully.[/quote]

this Valve is huge, But It shouldn't be too hard to scale it down
QUOTE View Post

That's about it. And thanks Angela who helped me with these pictures.. It looks huge in her hands.

HOLY CRAP!

FU ALL

#2 Zorns Lemma

Zorns Lemma

Sir Scrt

• Moderators
  • 1,277 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 08:57 PM

this Valve is huge, But It shouldn't be too hard to scale it down

Let's scale it down a bit:

Posted Image

Hmmm.....
"In short, the same knowledge that underlies the ability to produce correct judgement is also the knowledge that underlies the ability to recognize correct judgement. To lack the former is to be deficient in the latter."
Kruger and Dunning (1999)

#3 PointBlank

PointBlank

• Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 09:12 PM

How airtight is it?
You can agree with me.... or you can be wrong.

My Latest Mods
The Cyclops
Pointblank Titan

#4 Zorns Lemma

Zorns Lemma

Sir Scrt

• Moderators
  • 1,277 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 09:34 PM

I find the design very useful for very high-volume high-pressure requirements. However, it is also wholly impractical for any nerf scenario.
"In short, the same knowledge that underlies the ability to produce correct judgement is also the knowledge that underlies the ability to recognize correct judgement. To lack the former is to be deficient in the latter."
Kruger and Dunning (1999)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users