Photo

Frustrated..

Need help with longshot replacement barrel.

11 replies to this topic

#1 Mehku

Mehku

• Members
  • 383 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 08:57 PM

Hey, I did some searching on the forum and I heard that 9/16 brass tubing was good for a longshot barrel. I sanded down the bolt so that it would fit over the tubing, and it loads just fine. But however, my darts sometimes go ridiculously far, and sometimes they just go 2 feet. I did not do the angel breach, but I did something similar to Cartoon's petg barrel mod. Seriously, what am I doing wrong?

I should note that the brass is 1 foot long, and is made by KS.

Edited by Mehku, 20 March 2009 - 10:19 PM.

#2 lambchop

lambchop

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 09:06 PM

The brass could be moving it happend to me. Also check the seal.
Just keep swimming just keep swimming STOP

#3 umpshaplapa

umpshaplapa

• Members
  • 636 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 09:58 PM

That wouldn't explain the wild fluctuation in range. Can you think of anything that is different when you get better or worse ranges?
QUOTE(Talio @ Jun 29 2009, 01:50 PM) View Post

i got a black belt in noob banning in 2004.

#4 TantumBull

TantumBull

• Moderators
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 10:05 PM

Guys, the brass is in the bolt. Nevermind, just read his post again. So is it kinda like the inventor guy's mod? I found that when I did that mod the thing had a bad seal.

Mekhu, are you using a bunch of darts that differ in diameter? Darts that are too loose won't work well in a springer.

Try this:
Push the bolt forward really hard when you shoot it. If you get a boost in performance then your problem is the seal.

Pics would also help a lot.

Edit: Ooh, I think I got it. Is it still possible for the dart to enter the bolt? If so, you may be getting better ranges when it goes into the bolt and worse when it doesn't.

Edited by TantumBull, 20 March 2009 - 10:12 PM.

#5 Mehku

Mehku

• Members
  • 383 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 10:08 PM

That wouldn't explain the wild fluctuation in range. Can you think of anything that is different when you get better or worse ranges?

I found that if I put some electrical tape inside the barrel, the darts go farther, but the range still noticeably fluctuates and the darts fishtail. This would tell me that the darts require a tighter fit or the dart tooth to be pushed into the bolt. Another thing that I noticed is that when I load the dart very slowly, it gets better ranges compared to the normal rate of fire. Should I pick up some 17/32 brass and nest about an inch or so in the 9/16?

TantumBull: Yea, this is exactly like inventor guy's mod, all except with brass. The brass is under the faux barrel, and it covers up the hole where the dart tooth is supposed to pop up. The bolt then slides over the brass, and the darts seem to enter the bolt. I found that if I ramrod it, it shoots farther. As for the darts, I'm actually using streamline darts that are weighted in the dome with hot glue, so its not really a problem with the darts.

Edited by Mehku, 20 March 2009 - 10:18 PM.

#6 TantumBull

TantumBull

• Moderators
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 11:14 PM

Okay. Some things are going to need to change if you want better performance

1) Put either a segment of 17/32 in or just a whole foot. You need a tighter barrel for step 2...
2) Put a ring of craft foam on the bolt where it touches the brass. Make it big enough so a dart cannot enter the bolt. This will also help with the seal. You need the tighter fitting brass because nerf darts don't do well in 9/16. The reason you're set up sometimes worked earlier is because the dart sometimes went into the bolt.
A word of warning: I did something very similar to option one. It ended up failing because of the seal between the barrel and the bolt. I could've pulled it off now, but this was last summer. I sucked at modding. Try option two if you're worried about this. A little while ago I just brass breech'd it. Performs wonderfully now.

Edited by TantumBull, 20 March 2009 - 11:15 PM.

#7 Flaming Hilt

Flaming Hilt

• Members
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 11:48 PM

That wouldn't explain the wild fluctuation in range.

Yes it would. If the brass moves forward enough then air could be escaping around the edges to give him his short ranges. If the brass moves back again it would improve the seal and return his excellent ranges.
" Beneath this mask there is more than flesh, Mr. Creedy. Beneath this mask there is an idea...
...and ideas are bulletproof. "
V

#8 Mehku

Mehku

• Members
  • 383 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 02:28 PM

Okay. Some things are going to need to change if you want better performance

1) Put either a segment of 17/32 in or just a whole foot. You need a tighter barrel for step 2...
2) Put a ring of craft foam on the bolt where it touches the brass. Make it big enough so a dart cannot enter the bolt. This will also help with the seal. You need the tighter fitting brass because nerf darts don't do well in 9/16. The reason you're set up sometimes worked earlier is because the dart sometimes went into the bolt.
A word of warning: I did something very similar to option one. It ended up failing because of the seal between the barrel and the bolt. I could've pulled it off now, but this was last summer. I sucked at modding. Try option two if you're worried about this. A little while ago I just brass breech'd it. Performs wonderfully now.

I don't really care about more power, I just need it to be more accurate. Should I cut a hole in my 9/16 brass for the dart tooth and just call it a day? The reason I'm half-assing this is because I have absolutely no money left.
I wish I had a job. :) I will, however, finish this mod correctly after the NIC war that I'm going to. That is why I need accuracy over power, as I already have a shotgun fore grip for an amazing rate of fire. So, would cutting a hole in the brass for the dart tooth solve my problem with the fluctuating range? I think that the problem is that the dart isn't getting pushed into the bolt all the way, due to the lack of a correct barrel set-up.

Flaming Hilt- I'll look into that, and I'll probably end up gluing the living shit out of it.

Edited by Mehku, 21 March 2009 - 02:30 PM.

#9 TantumBull

TantumBull

• Moderators
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 03:57 PM

Either cut a slot in the brass, or just take it out then. The problem with cutting a slot in the brass is, after the dart passes the slot its going to decelerate. Air takes the path of least resistance, and that slot is going to be a bigger opening then the space around a nerf dart in 9/16 brass, even with the loose fit.

#10 Mehku

Mehku

• Members
  • 383 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 04:10 PM

To TantumBull: So, is there any way to make the longshot more accurate without a barrel replacement then? I sure hope there is.

Edited by Mehku, 21 March 2009 - 04:10 PM.

#11 TantumBull

TantumBull

• Moderators
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 04:26 PM

I guess my last post was wrong. Here's what bpso did. Basically just did what you did except he cut a hole in the barrel to accommodate the dart tooth.

#12 Mehku

Mehku

• Members
  • 383 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 10:33 PM

I guess my last post was wrong. Here's what bpso did. Basically just did what you did except he cut a hole in the barrel to accommodate the dart tooth.

Oh, thank god. You scared me a little there because I have no money and I'm going to my first big NIC war on April 11th. Thanks for helping me out!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users