Ertl Rfs

Is it really worth it?

30 replies to this topic

#1 death by cheez

death by cheez

• Members
  • 758 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 03:20 PM

Hello fellow nerfers, I have a question. I will be attending the SOF Royal Oak stop, and was wondering if building a doomsayer would really be worth it. I mean, I know they get excellent range and KILL (in a foamish way) out on the field, but with modding costs, shipping and handling, and the gun itself, is it really worth it? And the barrel material as well, which OMC might just be the man I go to.

http://fairview.dead...eadfrontier.com

Great game, zombie apocalypse MMORPG. I'm acer34p3r on there.

#2 Magic

Magic

Formerly NerfOnFier

• DO NOT TRADE
  • 540 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 03:22 PM

I thought that Doomsayers were now banned guns? :)

#3 LiterSize

LiterSize

• Members
  • 295 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 03:27 PM

Well, if Doomsayers are banned from the stop, then probably not worth your time. Or you could build one and host your own war where you allow Doomsayers. Don't let house rules stop you from owning a cool blaster. You go through the effort to make one, that's totally worth it.

#4 death by cheez

death by cheez

• Members
  • 758 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 03:31 PM

You do have a point, but 2 things:
1: I am accepting the challenge FA put up in his commission thread, and 2: The place I live in is swarming with cops day and night. Silly ghetto.

#5 BustaNinja

BustaNinja

• Members
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 03:36 PM

The only war Doomsayers are banned at is the ones hosted by the Mag7. Other then that, they are pretty open. If you wanna build one then do so. If you are happy with your guns and play style then thats good too. Don't let the idea that its the ultimate gun dictate where you build one or use one.
Me: Yeah. he beat a hooker
Venom: Haven't we all?

#6 death by cheez

death by cheez

• Members
  • 758 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 03:43 PM

Well I used to be obsessed with single shots, then pistols (current) but I am tired of all the relaoding I have to do, and it just doesn't seem too great in HVZ when the zombie comes to attack me when I am reloading.

#7 death by cheez

death by cheez

• Members
  • 758 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 03:45 PM

G** DA** Internal server errors.

Edited by death by cheez, 11 March 2009 - 03:46 PM.

#8 Blacksunshine

Blacksunshine

• Members
  • 948 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 03:46 PM

I thought that Doomsayers were now banned guns? :o

This is a grossly inaccurate overstatement. They have only been banned from wars hosted by the Mag7. No other hosted wars have I heard of them being banned.
Forgive my spelling and grammar. I post from my cell phone a lot. Sometimes when I'm on the can at work.

#9 Split

Split

• Members
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 04:02 PM

Mostly Jersey wars. It was banned at Gankfest 2 and 3, MCNO, CRNO... I feel that there are more, but I only looked at the ones that have been in the schedules. Can't hunt em all down. Anyway, there are only a few circulating Doomsayers, and of them, most don't have as much range as their potential could provide, so most all nerfers have not seen how unbalancing the gun can make teams. It's not a gun that takes skill to use frankly.
Teehee.

#10 ice

ice

• Members
  • 895 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 04:04 PM

I've dumbed my doomsayer down a bit, only has a BBB spring in it, so it hit's low 80's, resulting in more people letting me use it :o . They're definitely worth it.
<!--quoteo(post=206428:date=Jan 25 2009, 05:17 PM:name=Mukersman)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mukersman @ Jan 25 2009, 05:17 PM) View Post</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
Turd stefans. When I pulled these out of the pillow case i was just like, what... the... fuck...
Muker
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

#11 Draconis

Draconis

I am not Lord Draconical

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 04:23 PM

I've dumbed my doomsayer down a bit, only has a BBB spring in it, so it hit's low 80's, resulting in more people letting me use it :o . They're definitely worth it.

As have I. Shorter barrels, not as many springs, etc. I'm still hoping to use mine in the SOF Seattle war in July, though there seems to be a majority voting to ban them. :(
[15:51] <+Noodle> titties
[15:51] <+Rhadamanthys> titties
[15:51] <+jakejagan> titties
[15:51] <+Lucian> boobs
[15:51] <+Gears> titties
[15:51] <@Draconis> Titties.
[15:52] <+Noodle> why is this so hard?

#12 nerkum

nerkum

• Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 04:41 PM

Once you use one you will understand how great a gun it really is. I used Soothsayers Ol' Painless at a war recently and it absolutely destroyed the other team. Even if they could match me in range they could do nothing about the ROF. Reloading on the fly is so easy with the rear loading that you will hate other blasters that do not have it.

If they Ban it then see if you can get a pass with less springs. Power is not the only thing the Doomsayer has to offer.

#13 death by cheez

death by cheez

• Members
  • 758 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 04:43 PM

Ok, my dad said he will think of getting me one, but would an EAB spring and a cut-down nite finder spring work?

#14 slowguitarman

slowguitarman

• Members
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 04:50 PM

Ok, my dad said he will think of getting me one, but would an EAB spring and a cut-down nite finder spring work?

Why would you cut a spring that is already too short?

EDIT: I forgot to add that Doomsayers being banned from jersey wars is why I didn't even try to go to the last few. I now have a few new ROF toys to use, so it isn't as much of an issue, but it is annoying that they are banned from some large wars. I can understand why nobody would want them in a 2 on 2 or other such game, but if there are 20 people there, you only have two chances to miss before needing to reload.

Edited by slowguitarman, 11 March 2009 - 04:53 PM.

Your dreams were tight like a baby

SGM's Shred Shop -Mod Service

NerfHaven's resident drama queen.

#15 nerkum

nerkum

• Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 04:52 PM

The plunger rod has about 5 and a half inches of space for spring on it. The BBB spring barely squeezes on to the thick bar. So it will have to be bigger in circumfrance then a BBB spring and not larger then a LS spring (LS spring almost hugs the walls of the plunger tube).

#16 death by cheez

death by cheez

• Members
  • 758 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 04:59 PM

:o Holy cow. Crap, I haven't been to Ace in a while, and now I will have to visit. Lets hope Mr. Creepo still doesn't work there.

And my LS springs are all shot, as my mom left them cocked on the way back from goodwill. Oh well, no complaints there.

#17 Split

Split

• Members
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 05:06 PM

I can understand why nobody would want them in a 2 on 2 or other such game, but if there are 20 people there, you only have two chances to miss before needing to reload.

That is a worst case scenario and you know it. Not sure if I need to elaborate for the rest of you, but team's do not always stick together and focus on one guy. In fact, that's probably the rarest situation ever in a 10v10 round.

Edit: 1337, I really like that idea. We've been looking for something like that. Feel free to PM me if you'd like some help/suggestions/whatever with that. The problem is going to be the range in the equation. It's pretty easily fudged on a test (if you had that player who's just being a total dick about not being able to use his blaster), and not always a constant. Or we could just go the exact opposite and just call it like we see it. That's been working for a long time, but then again we've never had a banned springer before, right?

Edited by Splitlip, 11 March 2009 - 05:19 PM.

Teehee.

#18 1337

• Members
  • 375 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 05:14 PM

I thought that Doomsayers were now banned guns? :o

This is a grossly inaccurate overstatement. They have only been banned from wars hosted by the Mag7. No other hosted wars have I heard of them being banned.

I was actually thinking about making a points system for banned blasters.
Something like Range times barrels, with smaller things like speedloaders and autorotating or auto feeding turrets adding or subtacting points. Of couse it would have to be tweaked a bit, but Anyone else think this would work?

Edit: 50th post!

Edited by 1337, 11 March 2009 - 05:15 PM.

Join the REVOLUTION!

#19 slowguitarman

slowguitarman

• Members
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 07:48 PM

I can understand why nobody would want them in a 2 on 2 or other such game, but if there are 20 people there, you only have two chances to miss before needing to reload.

That is a worst case scenario and you know it. Not sure if I need to elaborate for the rest of you, but team's do not always stick together and focus on one guy. In fact, that's probably the rarest situation ever in a 10v10 round.

I was joking, and you took it the wrong way anyway. I was saying that I could only miss twice and still take out the entire other team, whether or not they were coming after me.

#20 VACC

VACC

Vacc is Legend

• Founders
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 07:34 AM

EDIT: I forgot to add that Doomsayers being banned from jersey wars is why I didn't even try to go to the last few.

OH NO!!!

Seriously, though, the primary limiting factor in the creation of these guns has not been their lack of legality at a few wars, but the time, supplies, and effort neccessary to create them. There are plenty of places you can find to use one. If you can build it, go for it. As far as banning them goes, it's rather simple. While most nerf guns that get banned do so because they are considered unsafe at closer ranges, there are those that simply give players unfair advantages which make the game less fun for everyone not using those weapons. If anything in our control is limiting the fun people are having at a nerf war, we're going to eliminate or modfiy it accordingly. The glee of the few who may build such a weapon is far outweighed by the potential frustration of everyone else. If that is not what is happening, than we will not restrict the use of the weapon. If FA was to show up to a war I was hosting, I would certainly give him a chance to use the gun so that I could further evaluate it's impact on the game, and I've told him as much. It's similar to stacked teams. They happen all the time, but once we see that they are stacked we change them up. If it's not a challenge, it's not fun for either side.

I now have a few new ROF toys to use, so it isn't as much of an issue

Just send me a list of the guns you would like me to ban. If all you need is a single rule to blame for not showing up to wars that you would not have gotten to anyway, I'm sure I can provide you with that rationalization.

VACC

#21 slowguitarman

slowguitarman

• Members
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 08:33 AM

EDIT: I know that there isn't a single person that could care less whether or not I come to a war anyway, so I just deleted all I had to say.

Edited by slowguitarman, 12 March 2009 - 08:33 AM.

#22 VACC

VACC

Vacc is Legend

• Founders
  • 3,265 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 08:47 AM

EDIT: I know that there isn't a single person that could care less whether or not I come to a war anyway, so I just deleted all I had to say.

You're missing the point. We'd love for you to show up at a war, but blaming us for disuading you from coming to a war is pointless. Come or don't come. It's not on an organizer to sell you, personally, on his war. If you get there, great, but if you don't you're generally the one that's missing out, not the people that showed up and had a good time.

Anyway, ERTL shotguns, huh?

#23 Cmdrmack

Cmdrmack

• Members
  • 545 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 10:51 AM

I love mine, it's got the same ammo capacity as a longshot, gets comparable ranges, and doesn't require a pump mod.

I used to have PETG barrels in mine, but the power was a little excessive, so I changed over to crayolas. I highly recommend them. The Doomsayer is banned at Mag7 wars, but not every RFS becomes a Doomsayer.
QUOTE(Predalien_Ro @ Apr 7 2008, 10:24 PM) View Post

Oompa: FECES!? Who in their right mind would try that shit!?

Bigger Salvo

{FWPC}

#24 k9turrent

k9turrent

• Members
  • 829 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 11:24 AM

Well I created the K9special to replicate the doomsayer's attributes

high ROF
Decent Range
And looks awesome

but it has a slimmer profile
QUOTE View Post

That's about it. And thanks Angela who helped me with these pictures.. It looks huge in her hands.

HOLY CRAP!

FU ALL

#25 Blacksunshine

Blacksunshine

• Members
  • 948 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 01:40 PM

I've dumbed my doomsayer down a bit, only has a BBB spring in it, so it hit's low 80's, resulting in more people letting me use it :D . They're definitely worth it.

As have I. Shorter barrels, not as many springs, etc. I'm still hoping to use mine in the SOF Seattle war in July, though there seems to be a majority voting to ban them. :(

Last I seen it was a unanimous yes on them being there.
Considering I've sold all my other primaries aside from my xbow I'm hoping that they will not become banned.
Forgive my spelling and grammar. I post from my cell phone a lot. Sometimes when I'm on the can at work.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users