The Future Of Nerf

Looking Forward

44 replies to this topic

#26 Drew is nerfing

Drew is nerfing

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 05:38 PM

I havn't been a member on this site for a long time, but I would definately like to see ALOT more wars in the future. The problem I have is that most wars require at a minimum a 2 hour drive, and me being 15, means I have to somehow convince my parents to drive me 2 hours to a place to play with guns with complete strangers, which never goes over well. I just wish that nerfing was more of a mainstream "sport" so it wouldn't be so damn hard to find people to nerf with.

#27 ice

ice

• Members
  • 895 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 09:10 PM

I'd actually be happy with less noobs around here, considering a portion of them is my fault.

A PORTION?! I'd like to know what actual number you think that equals. I would put the blame for the last surge of stupidity squarely on your shoulders. I haven't seen one SINGLE good nerfer come from "youtube." Anyone who has ever told me they have viewed your videos has succeeded in showing me exactly what I expected in terms of skill on the field (ie, their complete lack of it). Ice, don't take this as a personal attack. It's more of a general felling I have toward all newcomers from your realm. Especially ones who are lining up to give hand jobs to Foreskin Angel 42.

Yeah, sorry about that. Let me know if I can help (pm's).
And probably around, 80%.

Edited by ice, 19 February 2009 - 09:13 PM.

<!--quoteo(post=206428:date=Jan 25 2009, 05:17 PM:name=Mukersman)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mukersman @ Jan 25 2009, 05:17 PM) View Post</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
Turd stefans. When I pulled these out of the pillow case i was just like, what... the... fuck...
Muker
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

#28 DflyDen

DflyDen

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 07:27 AM

Interesting, I asked this question, and start a thread, like this last year, Dart Tag Next Generation and promptly got my ass handed to me. How times have changed.

In any case, Consider this from the Hasbro press release clip:
"The NERF Brand continues looking forward by signing on as a sponsor of the 2009 Dew Tour, the world's premier season-long action sports tour. As part of the Dew Tour's award-winning Festival Village, the first NERF DART TAG World Championship will offer fans and consumers an alternative competitive sporting environment unique to NERF. More details to come on how Dew Tour and NERF fans can enter and compete in the NERF DART TAG World Championship."

I think this is a first step toward Hasbro sponsored NERF DART TAG Centers, like laser tag centers. As I proposed in my post last year. If this NERF DART TAG World Championship gimmick works out, you can bet Hasbro has some internal researchers working on NERF DART TAG Centers, NERF WORLD or NERF-Land amusement park, like LegoLand. It could become reality, maybe on a smaller scale, but possible.

Or maybe specific stand-alone NERF STORE like Lego Stores in some malls. Think of it, Hasbro, why pay for shelve space and have your toys next to competitors on at Toy-R-US when you can own the whole store. Add a Nerf Tag Battle Arena and you have the complete Nerf Experience In one owned and operated environment. In this economy there are plenty of empty retail space available. And what mall owner wouldn't want an kid magnet like a NERF Store in their retail mix. The hardcore Nerf Warriors may hate these ideas, but as a parent, the NERF Play Center sounds good to me. I'd rather have my kids,and their friends, playing Nerf in a safe environment, when they not playing in my own backyard.

Nerf (and Lazer Tag) has been very good for Hasbro and not to expand and push it beyond toy stores, is just bad business. Hopefully they'll do it in way to keep all Nerf fans, noobs, casuals, and hardcore players, happy, safe, and engaged.

(I started a outline on my thoughts on the future of Dart tag. Admittedly it needs to been heavily revised, like drop the CO2 powered blasters idea. I'll have to pull it out and post it on my Dragonfly PT (Play Tech) for download and comment. So, I don't upset anyone here)
"The gods that smiled when you were born, are laughing now" - My favorite fortune cookie saying. I really got this.

#29 dizzyduck

dizzyduck

• Members
  • 627 posts
  • State:Kentucky

Posted 20 February 2009 - 08:40 AM

A PORTION?! I'd like to know what actual number you think that equals. I would put the blame for the last surge of stupidity squarely on your shoulders. I haven't seen one SINGLE good nerfer come from "youtube."

I originally came from YouTube, and though I'm still very much a new member around here, I'd like to think that I've at least made a concerted effort to contribute to the NIC. Yes, I am aware that I've been validated for two months, and yes I am aware that I haven't attended a war yet, but I do not like the assertion that I am somehow "unworthy" simply because of where I learned about this hobby.

On topic:

I think the future will be what we make of it. Just because the blsters available now aren't quite up to par as, say, the Hyperfire line, doesn't mean NERFing will wither and die. Ingenuity will ultimately prevail, and even though we might have to put a lot more effort into maximizing the efficiency of our instruments, it won't be like we will be stuck with what Hasbro gives us to work with.
Duck off.
Art & Stuff

#30 durka durka

durka durka

• Members
  • 364 posts
  • State:Delaware

Posted 20 February 2009 - 03:20 PM

A PORTION?! I'd like to know what actual number you think that equals. I would put the blame for the last surge of stupidity squarely on your shoulders. I haven't seen one SINGLE good nerfer come from "youtube."

I originally came from YouTube,

Theres an exception to every rule. Not every single youtube nerfer ends up being a noob.

On other things:

The thought of nerf dart tag centers is interesting and may happen in the future, but wouldn't really promote the modding aspect of nerf. Granted they wouldn't hurt us, but I don't see what use they would have. We like our modded blasters too much.

Edited by durka durka, 20 February 2009 - 03:20 PM.

"The warrior who cultivates his mind polishes his arms"

#31 DflyDen

DflyDen

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 03:52 PM

I originally came from YouTube,

Theres an exception to every rule. Not every single youtube nerfer ends up being a noob.

On other things:

The thought of nerf dart tag centers is interesting and may happen in the future, but wouldn't really promote the modding aspect of nerf. Granted they wouldn't hurt us, but I don't see what use they would have. We like our modded blasters too much.

I'm not sure what the issue is with the "youtube" nerfer, I'll have to review that later. But as to Durka Durka remark that he didn't "...see what use they (Nerf Centers) would be. Imagine it planned for multi-age level entertainment, daytime for kids, evening and late night for college age Nerf Warrior with league that allows using you home-modded blasters. Just because a little structure is throw into the mix doesn't mean it can't be fun.

Also, just thinking off the up of my head. Hasbro could help the modding crowd right now it they offered internal Nerf parts for sell as separate items, like they do the darts. It wouldn't cost much to package them in plastic bags with card label, like the darts. Doing so would aid the modders without weakening the core business. What to you think of that?
"The gods that smiled when you were born, are laughing now" - My favorite fortune cookie saying. I really got this.

#32 BustaNinja

BustaNinja

• Members
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 04:05 PM

Were hasbro to start selling parts, they would have to be covered by warranty, and since the chances of everyone who didn't get the awesome ranges they wanted saying the parts are defective and then returning them would be so high, they would lose money. The whole reason modding voids the warranty is because otherwise people would complain to the company when they messed up their guns. Its that simple.

Nerf? It's gonna be around for a while. It may change, going from awesome outdoor wars to more indoor venues, focusing more on ROF then range, but hey, its still Nerf, and honestly, I could stand to see some more awesome rushes and less pussy foot pot shots.
Me: Yeah. he beat a hooker
Venom: Haven't we all?

#33 Drew is nerfing

Drew is nerfing

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 08:04 PM

Also, just thinking off the up of my head. Hasbro could help the modding crowd right now it they offered internal Nerf parts for sell as separate items, like they do the darts. It wouldn't cost much to package them in plastic bags with card label, like the darts. Doing so would aid the modders without weakening the core business. What to you think of that?

I think that if Hasbro sold nerf parts that would be fantastic. You could buy tons of at2k internals and put them in all of your old shells you have lying around. Not to mention if you break something while modifiying a gun (say the plunger rod, that seems to be a popular part to break) you would save alot of money by not having to buy a whole new gun for one part. ALthough I seriously doubt Hasbro would do this. They are AGAINST moddifying the blasters. The whole reason we have to modify them is because stock they do not shoot very far, acurately, and they don't shoot those hard tipped darts we call stefans. If nerf sold their guns with stock ranges of 100 feet, were acurate, and could fire stefans, there would be law suits up the ass! Nerf WANTS their guns to be weak to avoid getting sued, so I seriously doubt they would aid us modders in ANY way at all. In fact, it seems like they are trying to make guns HARDER to mod. Look at the recon, and vulcan. can anyone get either of those guns to shoot over 45 feet flat?

Imagine it planned for multi-age level entertainment, daytime for kids, evening and late night for college age Nerf Warrior with league that allows using you home-modded blasters. Just because a little structure is throw into the mix doesn't mean it can't be fun.

I doubt nerf will ever make these so called "centers." The problem is, all of the older kids with their moddified nerf guns will own the crap out of all the little kids with their stock guns. What little kid wants to go up against someone twice their size with a gun that will "hurt" them? No, those centers would SCARE away the little kids, which is who these guns are marketed towards. Also, this would encourage little kids to modify their guns to compete with the older kids. This would cause TONS of lawsuits! A little kid could EASILY hurt himself with a knife or saw or something trying to mod his gun. Not to mention, Hasbro could get SERIOUSLY sued if some jack-ass with a singled titan shot some little kid in the face at one of these "centers"

It's a nice thought, but it just won't work. The only way I can see it working is if...

1. The centers do not allow the use of modified darts or blasters. Which is alot LESS fun, and in which case it wouldn't really effect us modders anyway, cuz any "real" nerfer is gonna mod his gun(s)

2. They have certain days/times to use moddified and home-made guns, and certain days/times to use stock guns. During those times they use modded guns, you would probably have to sign a waver saying that Hasbro and it's employees are not responsible for any injuries you may experience or something like that.

It's a nice thought, but probably will never happen

Edited by Drew is nerfing, 20 February 2009 - 08:06 PM.

#34 ilzot

ilzot

• Members
  • 286 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 09:54 PM

Well right now, I've spread the bug to 3 of my irl friends. We all love to Nerf, and now one is a very active modder. The other two always help me out.

I definatly might show my kids Nerf, one day. But for now, I just spread the hobby to my friends, and argue my point that Nerf can be just as fun as Airsoft, paintball, or BB guns. I've changed alot of people opinions and plan to continue.

I think that if Hasbro sold nerf parts that would be fantastic. You could buy tons of at2k internals and put them in all of your old shells you have lying around. Not to mention if you break something while modifiying a gun (say the plunger rod, that seems to be a popular part to break) you would save alot of money by not having to buy a whole new gun for one part. ALthough I seriously doubt Hasbro would do this. They are AGAINST moddifying the blasters. The whole reason we have to modify them is because stock they do not shoot very far, acurately, and they don't shoot those hard tipped darts we call stefans. If nerf sold their guns with stock ranges of 100 feet, were acurate, and could fire stefans, there would be law suits up the ass! Nerf WANTS their guns to be weak to avoid getting sued, so I seriously doubt they would aid us modders in ANY way at all. In fact, it seems like they are trying to make guns HARDER to mod. Look at the recon, and vulcan. can anyone get either of those guns to shoot over 45 feet flat?

It's obvious that they're against modders. In the Recon, they put a protective piece under the AR in efforts to prevent drilling it out. Some people found out how, and that's obviously why Recons are modable.

I have a feeling that in the coming guns, like the Raider, they might try to make them hard, if not impossible to mod. But I doubt with this community that they could possibly completely stump us. I don't know, we'll just have to wait and see.

Edited by ilzot, 20 February 2009 - 09:57 PM.

QUOTE(Vinnie D. @ Feb 1 2010, 05:28 AM) View Post

... to be able to get a better burst or sustained fire, rather than blowing the whole load at once.

#35 Darken

Darken

• Members
  • 166 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 11:52 PM

. In the Recon, they put a protective piece under the AR in efforts to prevent drilling it out. Some people found out how, and that's obviously why Recons are modable.

Actually they put that on there due to little kids putting there face against the plunger as they shot, scraping their faces as any sane person would expect, and their parents complaining to the company. But back on topic...

Nerf is gonna continue to make good ROF guns that are more and more sophisticated and are harder to modify. Why? Because they are nothing more than a toy company. They don't care about modders, and wouldn't sell us parts or anything that could be beneficial to us because it doesn't put money in their wallets.

What they're trying to do with their products is make newer and cooler ideas for guns, not to inconvenience us modders, but to make little kids think, "Oh wow that's AWESOME! A giant machine gun!" or "Oh wow a loser rifle!" Nerf doesn't need to make easier to mod guns or plunger instead of spring guns because it's not what little kids want, and it's not something that'll bring money into their pockets.

Now this can be a downside, but to some it can mean new battle types, and new tricky but cool mods. Sure, we won't be able to reach a 100 feet with modded new guns, but we can keep trying and trying, pushing the guns to the limits of their moddability, as we always have with nerf guns. And, as said before, homemade guns will continue to spring up and make new innovations in capability.

Edited by Darken, 21 February 2009 - 12:06 AM.

#36 DflyDen

DflyDen

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 02:30 PM

Just to follow up on my post, here the link to my Dart Tag: Next Gen outline I mentioned. There's a PDF file you can download to read the full thing. You can leave comments, and views on my blog, so I don't offend or take up any more thread space with my idle ramblings.

One more point concerning Hasbro making modder parts. I lot of people seem overly concern with lawsuits and such. If, Hasbro saw a profit to be made, the seem legal eagles who wrote the "do not mod...blaster...or darts" would find a creative way to write an iron clad disclaimer for modded parts. That said, if Hasbro thinks the market is too small for them, it could big enough for a new small start-up company . Remember, Steve Jobs of Apple Computers started in his garage. If a innovative modder made parts that were compatible with Nerf™, but not patent infringing designs, that person, or persons, could make nice little living for themselves. It would be hard work as building any small business is. But, isn't that part of the Amercian dream and spirit of free enterprise. Think of all the after-market products for car (real autos), r/c toys, paintball, airsoft, and other hobbies and sports. Why wouldn't it work for Nerf™ products.

#37 mystefansdontflystraight

mystefansdontflystraight

• Members
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 04:55 PM

I apologize if I seem pessimistic, but if nerf keeps going the way it has for the last couple years, I can see it just getting worse and worse. We had a great line, the Airjet power line. Then, there was crap for years. I mean, there hasn't been a good gun released since the LS. Hasbro's last two releases have been goober attracting pieces of Effeminate fail. I hope they change their ways, but the Raider really looks like a sideways drum mag recon. Nerf blasters have never been more complicated. Why? There used to be simple ones, the crossbow, the SM750, the LnL. Well (personal opinion coming up) Hasbro inventors/lawyers are scared. They (perhaps) have seen the monsters we have made out of our beloved crossbows, the behemoths we have turned the SM5Ks into. They are worried that if they make a simple gun that are easy to mod, little 10 year old joey who saw Uin13 on youtube will go and rip open his xbow, mod it, point it at his head and blind himself in one eye. Sure the warranty is voided, but that won't stop a lot of parents getting angry and boycotting nerf. If future guns are more complicated, joey won't be able to get his Complicator CS 1000 back together in order to hurt himself.
I can see homemades becoming much more of a factor at wars, much thanks to Carbon and Rork, and CaptainSlug. SNAPs, SNAPBows, and +bows are all simple, foam shooting death cannons that will outsthoot a LS (best gun hasbro has released in 5 years, IMO). PVC will always be needed for plumbing, homemades will live on.
About the goobers that Ice and OMC were discussing: Yes, the Nstrike line and the Uin13 phenomenon have brought a lot of stupidity to the site. I think there is still hope, with a bunch of VERY good members arriving this year (Splitlip, Just Some Bob, Blacksunshine, Dizzyduck, Mr. Badwrench, Hereticorp).
I think the good outweighs the bad, and these people Im sure will make many creations that will spice up nerf wars for years to come.

PS: I think it should be noted that Ice (Uin13) posted a video on youtube a few days ago, warning underage goobers to stay away from NH. If they won't take advice from the CoC, they may take it from him. I think this is great, and Ice deserves our thanks for this.

Edited by mystefansdontflystraight, 22 February 2009 - 04:58 PM.

QUOTE(Blacksunshine @ Dec 24 2009, 02:15 PM) View Post

QUOTE(white moonlight @ Dec 23 2009, 01:29 PM) View Post

It's just screaming to be rearloading...

I seen a movie about that once.

#38 dizzyduck

dizzyduck

• Members
  • 627 posts
  • State:Kentucky

Posted 22 February 2009 - 05:07 PM

I mean, there hasn't been a good gun released since the LS.

Maybe not by Hasbro.

The Scorpion Bow, ERTL PAS and RFS, and the 4B come to mind when you refer to blasters released since the LS.
Duck off.
Art & Stuff

#39 Oni Kadaki

Oni Kadaki

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 12:13 AM

Were hasbro to start selling parts, they would have to be covered by warranty, and since the chances of everyone who didn't get the awesome ranges they wanted saying the parts are defective and then returning them would be so high, they would lose money. The whole reason modding voids the warranty is because otherwise people would complain to the company when they messed up their guns. Its that simple.

Nerf? It's gonna be around for a while. It may change, going from awesome outdoor wars to more indoor venues, focusing more on ROF then range, but hey, its still Nerf, and honestly, I could stand to see some more awesome rushes and less pussy foot pot shots.

I'm not sure I see the majority of wars going that way, but I certainly do like indoor wars. I challenge every member of this forum who hasn't had one in awhile to do so, bonus points if you use a stock gun.

#40 Mehku

Mehku

• Members
  • 383 posts
  • State:Wisconsin

Posted 23 February 2009 - 12:28 PM

Well, I unfortunately see more inverted plunger designs and higher rate of fire guns. Unless Hasbro decides to end the N-strike line, I don't really see too many long range, high potential guns being produced. I could be wrong though, and pray that I am.

-Mehku

#41 durka durka

durka durka

• Members
  • 364 posts
  • State:Delaware

Posted 23 February 2009 - 03:16 PM

Nerf must hate our moddifing so much. However, they must also like any business the get from this site. Granted its not that much, but its (mostly the modding) is enough to get on hasbro to notice. They don't like losing any business, so I think they are trying to simply 'wow' us into buying their guns (that just goes hand in hand with appealing to other customers aswell).

Edited by durka durka, 23 February 2009 - 03:25 PM.

"The warrior who cultivates his mind polishes his arms"

#42 LiterSize

LiterSize

• Members
  • 295 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 04:08 PM

Well that's pretty much what the Season of Foam crew is up to, isn't it?

#43 Talio

Talio

Not your mother

• Contributors
  • 2,781 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 04:17 PM

Media attention is probably something we do not want. Have you ever seen or read anything about paintball in the media? They're just gonna portray us as a bunch of goofy kids.

Talio.
New posts on my blog, check it out. - Click on the ad too, cause I get money per click. Give back to the Admin team for once!

#44 LiterSize

LiterSize

• Members
  • 295 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 04:25 PM

I think I've brought this clip up before, and even saw the feature-length film on IFC one night.

One kinda media attention...

#45 Boss18

Boss18

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 04:35 PM

Media attention is probably something we do not want. Have you ever seen or read anything about paintball in the media? They're just gonna portray us as a bunch of goofy kids.

Talio.

And then goofy kids who watch it will come and join us.More damn goobers.

Nerf isnt going to go back to regular single shot guns, unless they are some sort of sn1per.Why? look at the guns that have come out, and will come out.All the primary-type guns coming out are machine gun styled blasters. The tommy 20, the magstrike, the longshot, the recon, the raider, the maveric, the firefly, the new guns coming out(fury fire?) and the vulcan. all of them have a clip, magazine, or belt.the guns are only going to get more complicated and advanced, so there will be no disadvantage when having a war.
D0 U LiK3Z /\/\UDkIpZ? http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?Burnboy85 <--- Clicky Cliky!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users