Photo

An Event A New Member And Some Questions

13 replies to this topic

#1 TheDisciple

TheDisciple

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 09:02 PM

Hello All, Just got my approval to post something I've actually been anticipating for a while, as Ive been wanting to interact with this community instead of just watch from the outside.

First some formalities, most of you wont care but I'm very proud of some of this
Here is my load out:
Posted Image

Simple stuff
Maverick is modded, AR's removed barrels dremeled out
That was the first mod I ever did, it took 6 tries to get it back together right, the white stuff is epoxy, after about 2 months of use the slider bar broke and I replaced it with some steel, works better then ever but sadly I cant disassemble it anymore, so no more mods, maybe on the next one
The little thing is the front end of the longshot, my most recent mod and one that im very proud of. AR's removed, O-ring added to the plunger and it gets about 30' maybe more if I get some stefans
Longshot has only cosmetic mods, wood blocks in the stock to keep it sturdy and bi-pod removed, I plan on adding a brass barrel and using the extended barrel (about 6" of it) to make it look nice and just a little extended out the front.

I only recently got into nerf, and im a Highschool, my mother is firmly anti-gun, it took me 17 years to convince her to let me get a TOY
But At this point most of my friends arent nerf players, im a classic "Geek" with geek friends so I knew if I made it easy I could get everyone into nerf.

I decided to host a large war for about 30 friends
I read the rules that are posted on the stickies and I love the concept and it seems to make play fair
I would like to hear some peoples experiences with their local events
I was planning on holding mine at a small park in the area, this park has a building, burnt down and rebuilt because of historical significance:
Posted Image

We scoped it out today, great place, cut grass, on top of a hill, nice grounds, nearby parking and an awesome pusedo-urban setting with 2 floors

But almost nobody has guns out of these 30 invites, so I wonder NerfHaven thinks of chargeing everyone a flat $12 entrance fee to the event we would buy everyone mavericks in a large lot and use the other $4 for extra ammo (2 100 dart boxes) and park rental
I pitched it as $10 to everyone and they were all very excited I doubt that another 2 would be a deal breaker

Im really hopeing I can host a good event I even designed a logo for this in-case we establish kind of a club.
Posted Image

So for some TL;DR questions
What do you think of a day at the park nerf war, free if you bring your own gun, pay $12 and get a Maverick and access to extra ammo when you lose it
What are some game types you love to do with friends?

Mod question:
Ive read a bunch of tutorials but what size brass tube should I buy to replace the barrel in a longshot lots of people have different ideas.

major edit:

I was also planning to add the Nightfinder spring to the Longshot for improved range/power I think i read this in a tutorial has anyone done this?

another edit, I might just take these to the mod section eventually but does anyone know of a site that sells cheaper in bulk, or perhaps after a threshold cuts the shipping

Edited by TheDisciple, 06 February 2009 - 11:11 PM.

#2 Talio

Talio

Not your mother

• Contributors
  • 2,781 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 09:23 PM

That was a pretty good post. I'm impressed. The maverick idea is pretty good, but keep in mind that once you get a few people with some good mods, the guys with the mavs aren't going to be able to compete. But it's a great idea to start with and see who sticks with it.

Where are you planning on holding this thing?

Keep it up,

Talio.
New posts on my blog, check it out. - Click on the ad too, cause I get money per click. Give back to the Admin team for once!

#3 Doom

Doom

NH's Official In-House Physicist

• Administrators
  • 559 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 09:52 PM

Judging from the URL of the image, the park is located here:

3691 Sarah's Lane
Ellicott City, MD 21043

Edited by Doom, 06 February 2009 - 09:53 PM.

#4 TheDisciple

TheDisciple

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 10:57 PM

Judging from the URL of the image, the park is located here:

3691 Sarah's Lane
Ellicott City, MD 21043

Yeah he's right that's the location , I was going to say that it would be easy enough to find out where I live with that because its hot linked....I'm really not that concerned

Out of my friends I'm the only one who has ever modded a gun, though I have modded my friends weapons
these are gonna be mostly casual players, girls boys just looking to have some childish fun with nerf guns. I kinda like the idea of 3 - 4 of us with huge load outs and modded guns being the elites and destroying, maybe even do a king of the hill situation where we get the building and are out numbered 3 - 1 or something

this is more of a gathering for people we know, to celebrate the summer and all that
I wasn't really planning on making it public, which is why I didn't post the location I just wanted help on this first one. Maybe later I'll host another event for hardcore Nerf Haven members in the Greater DC, Virgina, Delaware

An idea that was pitched is that for more money we would get you a better gun, Fireflys or recons, even long shots, I held the line at Vulcans, because someone joked they wanted 5 for them self and just wanted us to cover shipping, I do want to slap a nice big RC battery in a vulcan and jack the power though, would make for easier building defense and some cool "Rambo" moments

Edited by TheDisciple, 06 February 2009 - 11:03 PM.

#5 Daniel Beaver

Daniel Beaver

HQRSE CQCK

• Moderators
  • 2,099 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 12:02 AM

I would HIGHLY recommend you invest in Big Blasts instead of Mavericks. Simply cutting our the air restrictors allows them to fire stock darts 70+ feet, and they're dirt cheap ($10).

#6 TheDisciple

TheDisciple

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 12:26 AM

I have never heard of those, but I found this thread on moding them:
http://nerfhaven.com...?showtopic=6974

Those are some impressive numbers for such a simple mod, where would I find these?

(searching it on Yahoo reveals only NerfHaven threads related to the gun)

Edited by TheDisciple, 07 February 2009 - 12:27 AM.

#7 Blue

Blue

• Members
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 12:54 AM

I have never heard of those, but I found this thread on moding them:
http://nerfhaven.com...?showtopic=6974

Those are some impressive numbers for such a simple mod, where would I find these?

(searching it on Yahoo reveals only NerfHaven threads related to the gun)

Don't do that mod. It's terrible and there are easier cleaner way to do it with PVC Bushing. You can get them at target for $10, but make sure you open it up and try it out right after buying it because for some reason a high percentage of them are duds.

#8 Pineapple

Pineapple

Old-school Admin

• Contributors
  • 1,377 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 01:04 AM

Don't do that mod. It's terrible and there are easier cleaner way to do it with PVC Bushing.

You bet!

I really like how Captain Slug did his mod. Looks great, has lots of structural integrity, and it brings the size down to it's practical minimum.

-Piney-
-Piney- of White Dog Hobbies Armory

<!--quoteo(post=209846:date=Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM:name=boom)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(boom @ Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM) View Post</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
It's to bad you live in hawaii I bet there are not many wars there.Wait what am I saying<b> you live in hawaii you lucky bastard.</b>
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

#9 Blacksunshine

Blacksunshine

• Members
  • 948 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 01:30 AM

Bravo! this has got to be one of the best new member posts I've seen in my time here. Welcome to the Haven.
That park you have scoped out with looks like an awesome spot for a great assault local. I sure wish I could find something similar out this way.

Like others have said the MAV idea is a good one, but yeah those with them would get hammed on by guys that bring their own. Mavs are great for indoor/office nerfing but simply don't cut it when it comes to outdoor wars when you got guys with At2k's and such. Speaking of that perhaps you should consider switching to AT2K's instead. they can still be found at Biglots for around 6.50 each. that is cheaper then the mavs and with just a little bit of modding can be a great primary in place of some of the higher powered blasters.
Forgive my spelling and grammar. I post from my cell phone a lot. Sometimes when I'm on the can at work.

#10 slowguitarman

slowguitarman

• Members
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 09:37 AM

Dude, you have to have a war there. It is only 3 hours away from me. Most wars are 6 hours away, which sucks, and most of the people here don't want to nerf.
Your dreams were tight like a baby

SGM's Shred Shop -Mod Service

NerfHaven's resident drama queen.

#11 Groove

Groove

Certified Badass

• Founders
  • 1,673 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 11:10 AM

That's a pretty interesting idea. I'd be down for attending one of these wars, should they come to fruitition. That war location is only about 2.5 hours away from me. I'd also have to agree with others, modded Mavs will not hold a torch to any modded weapons you allow on the field.

-Groove

"Too close for missiles, I'm switchin' to guns"

#12 slowguitarman

slowguitarman

• Members
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 11:22 AM

I forgot to mention weapons. You could check at Big Lots and see if they have any AT2Ks. I got like 12 of them for $6.50 each. That's cheaper than a mav, and 1000x better. Since you're already spending $8+ on mavs, you could also do the BBBB thing since they're only $10 each.
Your dreams were tight like a baby

SGM's Shred Shop -Mod Service

NerfHaven's resident drama queen.

#13 imaseoulman

imaseoulman

• Members
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 12:09 PM

Welcome. I'm sad that I'll be gone from the forums for a while as we are just gaining a potentially great member. I see great things coming from you in the future. Don't disappoint me. I kid, I kid.

Anyway, it's been said before, but I'll reiterate it. Mav's aren't bad, but any modded blasters that are usually used by those that are members of this forum, will destroy mavs. Even a modded NF will perform better than a Mav. I personally would prefer a NiteFinder over a Mav. When I used to host indoor stock NERF wars, NF's did just fine against anything else. And modded, NF's can hold their own against almost anything.

Having said that, my indoor weapon of choice is a Dart Tag Blaster. At two for $35, with free shipping, you get two of these for the price of a LongShot and I'm willing to bet a person with a DTB could easily take a out a person with a LS. You get four more rounds and reload is much faster. Accuracy is better and you don't HAVE to use streamlines, which is a huge bonus. It doesn't jam as frequently as the Maverick. So you could say $10 for a NF, $12 for a Maverick, and $20 for a DTB.

Good luck with this and let us know how it goes.

GAME TYPES:
Capture the Flag is a classic and my personal favorite. Some fun variations are single flag CTF with the option of "Push" or "Pull." In these variations, there is only one flag in the middle and you have to get it to either the other team's base or your own base.

Slayer/Team Slayer are a given with the standard being 3/15 (three lives/fifteen second respawn outside of the combat zone) Breaking up into small teams of two, three, or four can be a lot of fun.

Check out "Gunslinger Heaven" as that is a lot of fun, even if you don't use pistols.

But the one scenario you would HAVE to play on that field would be a seige/hostile take over type scenario. Give one team the field advantage (the building and good positions around the field) and the other team a decent place to start. The disadvantaged team needs to get to a flag in the most heavily guarded part of the building before a certain time limit is reached. You then switch who is disadvantaged and play again. It is a lot of fun with larger teams.

#14 TheDisciple

TheDisciple

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 12:34 PM

Thanks for this, while everyone has been very helpful the group that I'm catering too is more interested in a day out with friend then they are hardcore Nerf modding, and while I'm now a happy member of this community willing to take apart my stock weapons, epoxy, dremel, replace springs to the moon and back most of them wont even be willing to pick up a screwdriver.
I like the dart tag alternative, does not involve modding nor myself having to go out and search the dregs of the internet for discontinued Nerf.
I am of course looking to keep it all fair and I think stock weapons simply handed out is the way to do it if a few of us have improved weaponry I will just have to break us up for team balance.

has anyone purchased straight from Hasbro?
Their site has appetizingly low prices but I'm afraid they will get me on the shipping

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users