The End Of The Cold War

Hope you like it hot...

58 replies to this topic

#26 BustaNinja

BustaNinja

• Members
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 11:19 PM

Your ass better make a trip to MN to Nerf with the new, the old and somewhere in between. If you get shot I will be very very mad at you.

All seriousness, good luck. Your mods, paintjobs and Nerfing stories made me try new things and rehash old memories. Thanks a million.
Me: Yeah. he beat a hooker
Venom: Haven't we all?

#27 Zorns Lemma

Zorns Lemma

Sir Scrt

• Moderators
  • 1,277 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 11:27 PM

You have plenty of time to appreciate it. Just follow the links in my original post in this thread. It's some of my best work.

I long already have; I mean that I missed out on the chronology as you developed each one.
"In short, the same knowledge that underlies the ability to produce correct judgement is also the knowledge that underlies the ability to recognize correct judgement. To lack the former is to be deficient in the latter."
Kruger and Dunning (1999)

#28 rork

rork

• Members
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 11:33 PM

I love your stuff. I hope to see you in the South soon. And good luck with the Navy.
<a href="http://nerfhaven.com...howtopic=20296" target="_blank">SNAPbow Mk. V</a>
<a href="http://nerfhaven.com...howtopic=20409" target="_blank">Make it pump-action</a>

#29 imaseoulman

imaseoulman

• Members
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 11:33 PM

imaseoulman, I'll always associate you with "Ender's Game" because of your awesome nerf scenario from a thread a while back. This makes you fairly awesome.

Good luck with your future and thanks for your service to our great country!

THAT is the best thing I've heard in a while. Ender's Game has actually influenced small parts of how I NERF. I'm embarrassed to admit that, but its true. I suppose that does make me fairly awesome.

Your ass better make a trip to MN to Nerf with the new, the old and somewhere in between. If you get shot I will be very very mad at you.

All seriousness, good luck. Your mods, paintjobs and Nerfing stories made me try new things and rehash old memories. Thanks a million.

Believe me, if it's at all possible, I'll make a trip out there. I may just use up some of my paid vacation time and do my own little S.O.F. type tour around the country in a couple of years.

I long already have; I mean that I missed out on the chronology as you developed each one.

Not missing out on much there, but yes it is exciting to see each new creation unfold.

#30 AssassinNF

AssassinNF

• Members
  • 904 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 11:36 PM

With all this talk of Nuclear Power and Nerf in the same place, I get this hilarious (and somewhat scary) picture in my mind of a giant nuclear-powered Nerf minigun...

Silly shit aside, you have been a truely awesome member of this site, and it's sad to see ya go. I wish you the best possible luck with all your endeavors.

And Thank You. Without you, my Marvelous Titan would not have been possible, or even conceived in the first place. Your threads played a huge part in increasing my understanding of pump-powered Nerf guns, and allowed me to take my modifications to a higher level. Once again, Thank You.

Probably dead by now, or something.

#31 cheesypiza001

cheesypiza001

• Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 11:51 PM

I am sad to hear that you are leaving however, I'm sure you will serve our country just as fantastically as you have served our little community. You have contributed great inventions and ideas that will always be remembered. You also have inspired so many of us to building wonderful things and to conceive amazing and sophisticated ideas. Congratulations and thank you very much for serving our country and standing up to such a large commitment. As I'm sure others have said, please do remember to come back every so often and let us know how you're doing. Congratulations and good luck!

- Cheesypiza001

#32 Draconis

Draconis

I am not Lord Draconical

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 12:54 AM

We will all miss your crazy impressive creations and the contributions to this hobby. Thanks for everything! Including serving our country. You have garnered my respect, and I wish you the best. Stay in touch when you can!
[15:51] <+Noodle> titties
[15:51] <+Rhadamanthys> titties
[15:51] <+jakejagan> titties
[15:51] <+Lucian> boobs
[15:51] <+Gears> titties
[15:51] <@Draconis> Titties.
[15:52] <+Noodle> why is this so hard?

#33 Cmdrmack

Cmdrmack

• Members
  • 545 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 01:24 AM

Chucktown is a really cool city. I hope you can find the time to enjoy it during your studies.
QUOTE(Predalien_Ro @ Apr 7 2008, 10:24 PM) View Post

Oompa: FECES!? Who in their right mind would try that shit!?

Bigger Salvo

{FWPC}

#34 sam

sam

• Members
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 01:57 AM

Take it easy man.
I can easily say you are the coolest dude I've ever Nerfed with. Hopefully we'll meet again.
Thanks.

#35 KingBouyah

KingBouyah

• Members
  • 103 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 06:16 AM

Snap, I was saving my first post for something good, something I could contribute.

But this warrants a farewell, and I'm deeply disappointed we never got a war going here or that I missed your BYU-I ones, but that's what happens when neither of us have much time. But it's for a good cause, so I commend you for doing it.

If you're ever anywhere near the Wasatch Front or if you get something going in Rexburg again, hit me up and I'll see if I can bring in a few extra people, you have my email. I bid you farewell and good luck, sir.

#36 mystefansdontflystraight

mystefansdontflystraight

• Members
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 07:37 AM

Thanks for everything. Thanks for the trade deals, and of course, the awesome contributions to our community. Thanks for starting up my great love for BS and Hornet tanks, and of course SMDTG trigger. I wish you all the best, I hope that you get the job you want, and that you didn't accidentally contradict yourself on your forms. I hope you can make it up to Canada some day.
-Liam

Edited by mystefansdontflystraight, 29 January 2009 - 07:38 AM.

QUOTE(Blacksunshine @ Dec 24 2009, 02:15 PM) View Post

QUOTE(white moonlight @ Dec 23 2009, 01:29 PM) View Post

It's just screaming to be rearloading...

I seen a movie about that once.

#37 imaseoulman

imaseoulman

• Members
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 07:43 AM

With all this talk of Nuclear Power and Nerf in the same place, I get this hilarious (and somewhat scary) picture in my mind of a giant nuclear-powered Nerf minigun...

Silly shit aside, you have been a truely awesome member of this site, and it's sad to see ya go. I wish you the best possible luck with all your endeavors.

And Thank You. Without you, my Marvelous Titan would not have been possible, or even conceived in the first place. Your threads played a huge part in increasing my understanding of pump-powered Nerf guns, and allowed me to take my modifications to a higher level. Once again, Thank You.

Oh yeah, I can totally see it. A steam turbine foam flinging doomsday device. Who says that's not how my assault blaster I'm posting in a few day actually works? No, I don't think super-heated water and foam are a good mix.
Thanks for the kind words. Keep up the work on your original blasters. It's fun and the process occasionally yields something amazing/revolutionary.

- Cheesypiza001

You'll hear more from me over PM's.

Not necessarily even what you say or do. In my family, 90th percentile might as well be called failure. "Strict" on the medical is an understatement. What tripped up my brother was that one time when he was little, a doctor had used the word "asthma" in describing his hay-fever allergies. Even though he never had (nor has) actually been asthmatic. They were just not willing to risk anyone with asthma in a tin fish. Or pretty much any condition that has any sort of attacks or seizures. And I guess we can understand that part. The part about refusing to "take any chance" on an obvious mistake I'm sure was pretty frustrating at the time.

Yeah, 90th percentile for me would be a smack in the face as well. I got just about a perfect score on all of my tests, but one of my math questions didn't have the correct answer as an option. I actually raised my hand in the middle of the test and asked the proctor if there were anything I could do about it, like report the error or something. Her response was, "I'm sure the correct answer is there."
I pointed to the question and answer so she could verify that it wasn't but I don't think she was capable of doing the problem (bank question involving percentages) in her head. The problem was fairly straight forward, requiring little more than setting up the equation and solving for the variable with division and subtraction. I told her what the answer was and pointed out that it wasn't an option. She seemed flustered so I just let it go and picked one of the options. Oh well. The lady probably thought I was pretty full of myself for assuming the test was wrong, but I'm sure there are other people here that would do the same thing. When it comes to math, I don't really doubt my conclusions that much. But yeah, the medical thing sucks. I still have one more physical to pass before everything is 100% guaranteed. Medical history isn't a problem, and I don't think I'm claustrophobic (never tested that, though), so I think I'll be okay. The military has already put me through the ringer and didn't find anything suspect.

We will all miss your crazy impressive creations and the contributions to this hobby. Thanks for everything! Including serving our country. You have garnered my respect, and I wish you the best. Stay in touch when you can!

I'll definitely drop a line now and again.

Chucktown is a really cool city. I hope you can find the time to enjoy it during your studies.

Hahaha, Chucktown, I like it. I'm sure I'll get a Saturday every now and again. I've heard that it is very nice.

Take it easy man.
I can easily say you are the coolest dude I've ever Nerfed with. Hopefully we'll meet again.
Thanks.

Sam, my NERFing experience really wouldn't have been the same without you. At my first NIC war you were there with some good advice to get me thinking in the right direction. Without you and those MN wars, I don't know if I ever would have felt the need for an Arachnophobia.

Snap, I was saving my first post for something good, something I could contribute.

But this warrants a farewell, and I'm deeply disappointed we never got a war going here or that I missed your BYU-I ones, but that's what happens when neither of us have much time. But it's for a good cause, so I commend you for doing it.

If you're ever anywhere near the Wasatch Front or if you get something going in Rexburg again, hit me up and I'll see if I can bring in a few extra people, you have my email. I bid you farewell and good luck, sir.

No worries. I've got family in Utah, so I'll be back now and again. I probably won't be doing anything in Idaho anymore as my friends have all graduated or are graduating this year. But I'll definitely send you an email if I'm ever in the area with my arsenal.

To all of you, thanks for all the support. It really means a lot to me. I'm sure there will be rough times when I'll have to draw on the knowledge that others, especially young people, are grateful for my sacrifices. That's not a sleight to you old(er) guys; I'm just glad to know that the future leading generation cares about and understands the need for the military.

NERF On! (There's really no other option).

#38 m14

m14

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 09:04 AM

Maybe in 4-8 years you will be serving in a submarine that I helped build or design. I plan on joining the military in either right after high school or after college. I want to be an enginear, so I'm thinking Air Force. Any way I'm not sure what the Navy slogan is, but "Semper Fi, Carry On".
I believe in the true lord Joseph Stalin. Problem?

#39 imaseoulman

imaseoulman

• Members
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 09:32 AM

I highly doubt that any new submarine designs will be seeing action within eight years. The design to commission time line for a nuclear submarine is probably longer than you'd expect. I'm also pretty sure the contract for new subs extends to like 2020 or something like that. So I doubt we'll have any new designs before that. Right now there's not much need. Yeah, Russia has quieter subs than we do, but we have more and we can still find theirs.

Also, if you're thinking about joining the military, do it the smart way. Get them to pay for your school. Get good grades now, especially in math and science (the military puts a lot of emphasis on those because that's what they need) and then do ROTC in college. They'll pay for your college and actually give you more money. So you'll be earning money to complete your college degree. Depending on your program, you may have to pay for your freshman year yourself, but the last three years would definitely be covered.

I thought about joining in high school and going that route, but I wasn't convinced the military would be a good fit for me. So I paid for my college myself and then joined. I could have saved A LOT of money if I joined and then went to school.

Start doing the research now about how the system works. If you want to enlist (not be an officer) then join right after of high school. But if you have dreams of being an officer (in the Air Force, you definitely want to be an officer) then do ROTC or maybe even try to get into the Air Force Academy (good luck, it's tough and you need a letter from a Senator).

But seriously, start researching now exactly what it is that an Air Force engineer does. It's probably different than what you would expect. Good luck and I hope to some day see you in a uniform.

Edited by imaseoulman, 29 January 2009 - 11:07 AM.

#40 Falcon

Falcon

Velcro'd Beanpole

• Members
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 03:44 PM

You all need to throw additional funds our way for Season of Foam.

We're officially renting a sub so we can nerf with imaseoulman "10,000 Leagues Under the Sea" style. Take care!
----------||||||||)
QUOTE(Ilùvatar @ 0000) View Post
Of the theme that I have declared to you, I will now that ye make in harmony together a Great Music.

#41 imaseoulman

imaseoulman

• Members
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 07:35 AM

We're officially renting a sub so we can nerf with imaseoulman "10,000 Leagues Under the Sea" style. Take care!

I can just see it now, "Load tube 1 with foam ballistics... Fire one!" Actually NERFing on a sub doesn't sound like a whole lot of fun. Pretty cramped space with a lot of things to trip over or smack yourself on...though I hear there is a lot of space where the nuclear missiles are stored. We could play there...

But seriously, donate to S.O.F.!

#42 slowguitarman

slowguitarman

• Members
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 08:24 AM

... but for reasons which I may never understand, spelling ability hasn't been a requirement in most engineering schools.

There is good reason to not look at spelling for engineering. My friend is quite literally a genius in calculus and physics, but he can barely spell his own name half the time. If he didn't have spell check, it would look like the sentence posted about being an enjuneer, but he he has gotten A's in most, if not all, of his college calculus and physics classes, and he is looking forward to taking quantum physics because he thinks it will be fun...

I can just see it now, "Load tube 1 with foam ballistics... Fire one!" Actually NERFing on a sub doesn't sound like a whole lot of fun. Pretty cramped space with a lot of things to trip over or smack yourself on...though I hear there is a lot of space where the nuclear missiles are stored. We could play there...

But seriously, donate to S.O.F.!

My uncle that's in the Navy spent 6 months on a sub, and he said it was terrible because it's so tight in there. You can't even raise your head in bed. I'm hope this isn't a buzzkill for you, but you seem the kind of guy that would research all that out before joining.
Your dreams were tight like a baby

SGM's Shred Shop -Mod Service

NerfHaven's resident drama queen.

#43 imaseoulman

imaseoulman

• Members
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 07:04 PM

Yeah, I know subs are cramped. I love wide open spaces, but I also don't get all worked up in small tight spaces. I've done significant research into my options, which aren't many in the nuclear program. It's either a carrier or a sub. If I can get on an Ohio class sub (the ones that carry nuclear missiles) then the rotation schedule is three months on and three months off. So as long as a crisis doesn't lengthen my stay at sea, I won't be gone from my family for more than three months. On a carrier, however, the trips away from my family would last much longer. The extra pay is a slight incentive, but its mostly about not missing huge chunks of my kids' lives. Nine months is a long time for a toddler and they can change a lot.

#44 TheNerfLoki

TheNerfLoki

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 07:11 PM

It's people like you, that would selflessly join the military to defend America that make this country great. Hope you have a good time in the Navy.

Edited by TheNerfLoki, 30 January 2009 - 07:11 PM.

Am I the only one who uses the sig function for a sig?
TNL,

#45 cheesypiza001

cheesypiza001

• Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 01:54 AM

If anyone is interested in learning about the kind of submarine imaseoulman may be living on for a while, (Ohio class submarine) there is a TV show called Battle Tech that has an episode partially about Ohio class submarines. The specific episode is called "Size It Up: Subs." It can be purchased on iTunes. This episode is really interesting and I highly suggest watching it.

-Cheesypiza001

#46 TantumBull

TantumBull

• Moderators
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 03:16 AM

Darn, how did I miss this thread?!

I hope you pass all the tests you were talking about earlier and get the job you want. Your experience with air guns is amazing, I'll never forget who taught me to make my 2k shoot as far as my 1.5K. I also hope your family and you good health and happiness while you are at seas. Just be sure to always 1-up the enemy with your incredible smarts.

On a side note, have you read Red Storm Rising, by Tom Clancy? Incredibly good book, and a huge chuck of it is about submarine - cold war era warfare.

Best of wishes,
Luke

#47 Gearmonkey

Gearmonkey

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 10:10 AM

Congratuations, and good luck. I myself may be entering the millitary at the end of high school, asuming a scholarship doesn't come my way. I was amazed by the sheer firepower of 8 barrels of airgun maddness. it's sad to see you go, and i will miss your mods. Also, at TantumBull, even more so than Red Storm (I believe, as i never finished Red tsorm), Clancy's Hunt for Red October showcased sub life. Good Luck!
I need a loser rifle not a loser rifle, what the hell did i type loser

#48 Norther of Heaven

Norther of Heaven

• Members
  • 349 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 10:49 AM

Thank you for all your incredible contributions to the NIC. I hope you find your calling in the Navy.
"I don't always drink beer. But when I do,
I beat my wife."

#49 Ner Commando

Ner Commando

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 06:41 PM

Dude this sucks. Your stuff is pretty sick. Good luck in the navy.

#50 imaseoulman

imaseoulman

• Members
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 07:00 PM

Thanks for the tips on the books. I have to be honest, though, I'm not a fan of Tom Clancy's novels. I read Rainbow Six and it was probably the worst written thing I read that year. I have heard that his other stuff is a little better. But, it's still fiction, and while it does contain some truth, there are a lot inaccuracies.

If you like the idea of "eight barrels of airgun madness," you'll probably like the creation I hope to post. I'm facing some major time constraints, but I'm going to try very hard to get it done in time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users