Photo

The Frankenfucker

Frankenfucker v3.3 (newest iteration) on page three.

41 replies to this topic

#26 Zorns Lemma

Zorns Lemma

Sir Scrt

• Moderators
  • 1,277 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 11:09 PM

Wow, Ice nine, I am impressed with all of your work with these air guns! I have to ask...where do you keep getting all of these tanks?

All of the recent creations have been powered by 2 BSs, 2 SMDTGs, and 2 AT2Ks. BS was going for pretty cheap on Amazon a month back.
"In short, the same knowledge that underlies the ability to produce correct judgement is also the knowledge that underlies the ability to recognize correct judgement. To lack the former is to be deficient in the latter."
Kruger and Dunning (1999)

#27 loni

loni

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 11:34 PM

My initial reaction when I first saw the frakenfucker was that your a genious, now after seeing all of your other creations, im pretty sure that you are slightly insane, I also think that you have no problem with that, which is equally disturbing. On a serious note however, nice work!!!

-Loni

Edited by loni, 17 January 2009 - 11:38 PM.

"I don't nerf to see who is the best, I nerf to see who is the biggest bitch"

#28 Ice Nine

Ice Nine

Prince Dangus

• Administrators
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 12:13 AM

Now THAT is a Longshot I could see myself using. Almost enough to make me want to get one...

Personally, I wouldn't recommend buying one just based on this. I've had three, they're enjoyable for a bit but eventually they get boring and are way worse than comparable guns in clipped form. VACC has commented on numerous occasions just how ineffective even an Angel-breeched Longshot is and I think his judgement is probably a fair one. That said, I did really enjoy this mod and the cocking mechanism with the handle coming out of the top like that and the MS/SMDTG parts make for a really fun gun. It's also incredibly fun to show to dorm mates who are constantly amazed by the insane Nerf shit you make.

Wow, Ice nine, I am impressed with all of your work with these air guns! I have to ask...where do you keep getting all of these tanks?

Thank you. A lot of these parts are left over from broken guns in my past modding career, but I've bought a fair few things recently in the glut of Christmas sales. See Zorn's Lemma's (my room mate) post for a little more information.

...This thread is so awesome. If only I had more time and more tubing connectors.. :D

McMaster, man. McMaster. Any other thing you buy from them, just throw in a package or few of barbed couplers and tees.

My initial reaction when I first saw the frakenfucker was that your a genious, now after seeing all of your other creations, im pretty sure that you are slightly insane, I also think that you have no problem with that, which is equally disturbing. On a serious note however, nice work!!!

-Loni

That's pretty much the conclusion my resident heads have come to. Again, thank you.

This too: The goop cured on the air gun parts, so the BS gets around ninety, plus or minus ten (dart fit and pumps and such) and the SMDTGs hit fifty to sixty. It's a fantastic backup system. As for reloading, cocking the LS leaves enough space inside to easily blow down even tight-fitting darts in the CPVC, for the time being. Soon I'll have a long enough ramrod and I can use the MS/SMDTG to keep opponents away while I reload the main gun.

Unholy Three: DUPLUM SCRTA, DUPLUM PROBLEMA (2009)

But Zeke guns tend to be like proofs by contradiction

Theoretically solid but actually non-constructive

Rnbw Cln

#29 ice

ice

• Members
  • 895 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 11:01 AM

That should definitely change some views on singeled Lobsghots :( Though nice work with all the air tanks.
<!--quoteo(post=206428:date=Jan 25 2009, 05:17 PM:name=Mukersman)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mukersman @ Jan 25 2009, 05:17 PM) View Post</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
Turd stefans. When I pulled these out of the pillow case i was just like, what... the... fuck...
Muker
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

#30 Pineapple

Pineapple

Old-school Admin

• Contributors
  • 1,377 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 12:00 PM

Personally, I wouldn't recommend buying one just based on this. I've had three, they're enjoyable for a bit but eventually they get boring and are way worse than comparable guns in clipped form. VACC has commented on numerous occasions just how ineffective even an Angel-breeched Longshot is and I think his judgement is probably a fair one. That said, I did really enjoy this mod and the cocking mechanism with the handle coming out of the top like that and the MS/SMDTG parts make for a really fun gun. It's also incredibly fun to show to dorm mates who are constantly amazed by the insane Nerf shit you make.

I don't know what the others may think, but in essence, you have captured why I got into modded Nerf in the first place seven years ago.

Before the days of clips, Longshots, Recons, Doom shotguns, and the like, there was only one real "clipped" blaster; the Powerclip. Sure there were turrets and stuff, but the only way to get relatively quick second and third shots was by integrating one or more blasters into each other.

Not to pass credit to any one person, but those who have been around awhile remember names like Binky, Daemon, and Proxy Server (Langley's super soaker with stuff stuck on it, which inspired me to really get rolling). All those blasters were several pieces stuck together, or integrated into or next to body shells.

Sure they don't look "real" or "like HALO" with all those hoses and valve manifolds and stuff sticking out all over. But they could boogie when you needed them to. They were ugly, yet they were beautiful. That's why I like modded Nerf. That's why I like what you made.

Good stuff. Gets me all fired up again to fix up some blasters. But you better secure those parts well if you're going to war with them, or in the heat of battle, they'll chuck those protruding parts off like a leper on a trampoline.

-Piney-
-Piney- of White Dog Hobbies Armory

<!--quoteo(post=209846:date=Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM:name=boom)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(boom @ Feb 5 2009, 06:27 PM) View Post</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
It's to bad you live in hawaii I bet there are not many wars there.Wait what am I saying<b> you live in hawaii you lucky bastard.</b>
<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

#31 Ice Nine

Ice Nine

Prince Dangus

• Administrators
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 09:44 PM

I don't know what the others may think, but in essence, you have captured why I got into modded Nerf in the first place seven years ago.

Before the days of clips, Longshots, Recons, Doom shotguns, and the like, there was only one real "clipped" blaster; the Powerclip. Sure there were turrets and stuff, but the only way to get relatively quick second and third shots was by integrating one or more blasters into each other.

Not to pass credit to any one person, but those who have been around awhile remember names like Binky, Daemon, and Proxy Server (Langley's super soaker with stuff stuck on it, which inspired me to really get rolling). All those blasters were several pieces stuck together, or integrated into or next to body shells.

Sure they don't look "real" or "like HALO" with all those hoses and valve manifolds and stuff sticking out all over. But they could boogie when you needed them to. They were ugly, yet they were beautiful. That's why I like modded Nerf. That's why I like what you made.

Good stuff. Gets me all fired up again to fix up some blasters. But you better secure those parts well if you're going to war with them, or in the heat of battle, they'll chuck those protruding parts off like a leper on a trampoline.

-Piney-

I remember the time I stumbled upon the NIC. I was looking for stuff about the SM1500, because I had recently discovered it sitting in a box somewhere in our house. I came across CX's mod for it and couldn't really understand what was going on just by looking at the pictures but it looked really cool so I started to look around some more. I saw Yakman's mods, I think I remember some of NO (the only thing I remember was Groove's comic on a Splitfire mod that shot one sixty feet, which made me laugh, but that could've been posted somewhere else) and I began to look at the collection of modifications hosted somewhere. There was Binky, and Daemon, and that Manta with two SM1500s in it (Meow Mix's, I think?). There was so much cool stuff an I always wanted to do stuff like that. Now, six years later, I'm in college and I still remember that stuff. There's been neat stuff in the intervening period but I like to imagine that first batch as the most influential on my style, with the newer stuff stimulating my imagination to the point of me creating things like that.

That said, I worked on the 3.0 today. I brought it up to 3.1 by replacing the SMDTG tanks (which were performing terribly) with twin Hornet tanks, but they remained performing terribly. I think the SMDTG trigger mechanism doesn't deal well with multiple tanks on one shot, it doesn't pressurize properly or something but whatever the case was those shots performed poorly. In respect to the adhesion of the external parts, it took me literally twenty minutes to remove the SMDTG tanks. I had to ruin a crappy soldering iron to remove enough of the hot glue to pry it off. Meanwhile, the BS tanks and LS shot are hitting ridiculous ranges. I soon moved onto v3.2, which is this:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I took out the vinyl tee connecting the two Hornet tanks and put a coupler on the tubing to the trigger. It's not the most elegant system but it works. After firing the first Hornet, instead of reloading a quick yank and push will plug the tubing into the second Hornet barrel. It's probably only a little bit quicker but it's more of a holdover until v3.3, which I'm drawing up in my spare time.

Also, here's the cousins:

Posted Image

Frankenfucker v1.3 (I think that's the right numbering), meet Frankenfinder.

<edit> Shit, guys, sorry for the terrible quality pictures. I don't know what happened. I'll try and post up new ones with something that isn't my phonecam.

Also, I took those two Hornet tanks from v2.2. It's in the shop, should be upgraded by the end of the week.

Edited by Ice Nine, 18 January 2009 - 09:53 PM.

Rnbw Cln

#32 Zorns Lemma

Zorns Lemma

Sir Scrt

• Moderators
  • 1,277 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 02:10 PM

A great feature with this integration that differentiates from many of the other Longshot ones is that while it lacks rushing capabilities, the barrel/tank placement and power means this gun is easy to aim and has great accuracy. I can hit cans at 20 ft, and people at 50 ft which is surprising, because Shiva's BS barrels have a rather high maximum range, but even given my familiarity with the gun, I can only hit people at slightly over 60 ft. On the other hand, Ice Nine, who's much more familiar with this Longshot (it has an odd weight distribution) has hit me from 70 or more ft away. (It gets well over 120 ft, but unfortunately, past 80 ft, even the most well-balanced stefans begin to curve, and at 100+ ft hitting doors is already difficult.)

RoF at a high range is rather pointless if you can't hit anyone at that range.
"In short, the same knowledge that underlies the ability to produce correct judgement is also the knowledge that underlies the ability to recognize correct judgement. To lack the former is to be deficient in the latter."
Kruger and Dunning (1999)

#33 Ice Nine

Ice Nine

Prince Dangus

• Administrators
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 07:48 PM

I felt this required bumping, because I'd like to posit that this is one of the most powerful Longshots around.

Posted Image

Yes. Yes, that is a Maxshot spring. And the one under it? Plusbow. Wha-bam.

Posted Image

That's the normal Longshot stuff I improved. I removed the previous Frankenfucker's CPVC barrel in favor of this aluminum one of the same length (fourteen inches) since both parts have identical OD. That o-ring completely seals up the plunger tube.

The new final product:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

It's still the same Marvelous Salvo setup, with one Hornet tank and two Big Salvos, all couplered. What's new is the addition of a fixed-up SMDTG pump in the gun handle, connected to a homemade blast trigger, fed through the gun to a Hornet tank on the other side. Fifteen pumps or so gives good ranges; it's really a holdout shot.

Posted Image

Here's the aluminum barrel in place.

I haven't tested exact ranges but at ten feet darts pierce both sides of a corrugated cardboard box that was angled on the wall, which would take away some of the force of the dart. The gun is deadly accurate, and the four shots backup is ideal for holdouts. I fucking love this gun.

Edited by Ice Nine, 14 March 2009 - 07:49 PM.

Rnbw Cln

#34 TantumBull

TantumBull

• Moderators
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 07:57 PM

Woah, nice! Looks at lot like my marvelous longshot, links in my sig if your interested. I'm glad someone else likes adding airguns to LS's! Hopefully guns like yours and mine will make others (cough CaptainSlug cough cough) more seriously.

Edit: I hope that guns reinforced, otherwise it'll explode from that spring combo.

Edited by TantumBull, 14 March 2009 - 07:59 PM.

#35 Ice Nine

Ice Nine

Prince Dangus

• Administrators
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 07:59 PM

Woah, nice! Looks at lot like my marvelous longshot, links in my sig if your interested. I'm glad someone else likes adding airguns to LS's! Hopefully guns like yours and mine will make others (cough CaptainSlug cough cough) more seriously.

Thank you, but I think it's worth mentioning that my version of the Marvelous Longshot was posted a month or two before yours. The posts are earlier in this thread, about halfway through page two; unfortunately, I lacked a third BS tank so I had to make due with other tanks.

<edit>

Edit: I hope that guns reinforced, otherwise it'll explode from that spring combo.

Indeed I did. CA and epoxy putty on the back of the plunger tube to keep it from exploding from spring force. The plunger head was gooped to flatten it and kill that little bit of dead space on the plunger head. The last risky piece is the catch which I have two replacements for, and if it does explodes it will teach me where to reinforce the other ones.

Edited by Ice Nine, 14 March 2009 - 08:06 PM.

Rnbw Cln

#36 TantumBull

TantumBull

• Moderators
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 08:01 PM

I know, I wasn't saying you copied mine. That's funny that I missed yours though, because both our guns do look pretty similar.

#37 k9turrent

k9turrent

• Members
  • 829 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 08:23 PM

Actually guys I made this back in oct '08 but never posted a mod cause I was noob then. So...I win
QUOTE View Post

That's about it. And thanks Angela who helped me with these pictures.. It looks huge in her hands.

HOLY CRAP!

FU ALL

#38 thedarksideofnerf

thedarksideofnerf

• Members
  • 124 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 12:51 AM

I have a feeling its going to be a vulcan next.
Theres just nothing bigger.
<death09>my girlfriend broke up with me and sent me pix of her and her new boyfriend in bed
<ktp753>ouch.
<death09>yeah.i sent them to her dad

#39 Ice Nine

Ice Nine

Prince Dangus

• Administrators
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 12:30 PM

I have a feeling its going to be a vulcan next.
Theres just nothing bigger.

I had to scrap a project based on that due to some issues with my Vulcan, and due to my unwillingness to buy another one it doesn't appear as if it'll come to fruition. However, the next gun in this series, the one taking the place of the Vulcan, should be more... Usable.

Over in IRC Bob had the suggestion to allow people to place bets on how long it'll take some part of this gun to explode. Any takers?

Rnbw Cln

#40 mystefansdontflystraight

mystefansdontflystraight

• Members
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 12:49 PM

Actually guys I made this back in oct '08 but never posted a mod cause I was noob then. So...I win

No, k9, that was me. I sold it to you finished. You revamped it, it looked more like ice nine's when it was modified by me. Anyway, you did a pretty nice job
Ice Nine: Very good job. I would be worried about some serious durability issues with the maxshot AND plusbow springs in there. Other than that, great job.
QUOTE(Blacksunshine @ Dec 24 2009, 02:15 PM) View Post

QUOTE(white moonlight @ Dec 23 2009, 01:29 PM) View Post

It's just screaming to be rearloading...

I seen a movie about that once.

#41 Shrub

Shrub

• Banned
  • 862 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 08:12 PM

Nice work. Seriously is that enough power? I can't help but wondering how hard that thing is to prime. Good work none the less. So is it practical I mean with all the blast chambers and all, I would think you would get your finger stuck on some tubing and mess something up. But all can say is if I saw that pointed at me I would run and hide or something. Is it painful , I mean I know it is but like on a scale of one to ten or a comparison to a titan or BBBB.
Favorite Quotes:
Sorry to hear that man, it's like that one famous bumper sticker, "Shit Happens"
it still seems that your balls drop very rapidly

#42 Ice Nine

Ice Nine

Prince Dangus

• Administrators
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 02:45 AM

Nice work. Seriously is that enough power? I can't help but wondering how hard that thing is to prime. Good work none the less. So is it practical I mean with all the blast chambers and all, I would think you would get your finger stuck on some tubing and mess something up. But all can say is if I saw that pointed at me I would run and hide or something. Is it painful , I mean I know it is but like on a scale of one to ten or a comparison to a titan or BBBB.

It is rather hard to prime but I can cock it braced against my shoulder with just my right hand without too much of a problem. Cardboard puncturing test reveals that it probably is more powerful than my crappy 4B and about as powerful as my good one.

I tested the gun a few times in the hallway to get an idea of the ranges. I apparently ramrodded a dart and then got rather distracted and left my gun on the hallway floor. I returned and ramrodded another dart in. After a few shots that ended up hitting ninety-five, I shot two darts out. So, this gun hits almost one hundred with a dart stuck in the dart stopper at the back of the barrel and a tight-fitting dart in the barrel. Or, you can think of it as nearly complete airflow obstruction. That is a lot of power.

Thirty-five shots and no explosions yet. This is good!

Edited by Ice Nine, 16 March 2009 - 03:14 AM.

Rnbw Cln

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users