I don't know what the others may think, but in essence, you have captured why I got into modded Nerf in the first place seven years ago.
Before the days of clips, Longshots, Recons, Doom shotguns, and the like, there was only one real "clipped" blaster; the Powerclip. Sure there were turrets and stuff, but the only way to get relatively quick second and third shots was by integrating one or more blasters into each other.
Not to pass credit to any one person, but those who have been around awhile remember names like Binky, Daemon, and Proxy Server (Langley's super soaker with stuff stuck on it, which inspired me to really get rolling). All those blasters were several pieces stuck together, or integrated into or next to body shells.
Sure they don't look "real" or "like HALO" with all those hoses and valve manifolds and stuff sticking out all over. But they could boogie when you needed them to. They were ugly, yet they were beautiful. That's why I like modded Nerf. That's why I like what you made.
Good stuff. Gets me all fired up again to fix up some blasters. But you better secure those parts well if you're going to war with them, or in the heat of battle, they'll chuck those protruding parts off like a leper on a trampoline.
I remember the time I stumbled upon the NIC. I was looking for stuff about the SM1500, because I had recently discovered it sitting in a box somewhere in our house. I came across CX's mod for it and couldn't really understand what was going on just by looking at the pictures but it looked really cool so I started to look around some more. I saw Yakman's mods, I think I remember some of NO (the only thing I remember was Groove's comic on a Splitfire mod that shot one sixty feet, which made me laugh, but that could've been posted somewhere else) and I began to look at the collection of modifications hosted somewhere. There was Binky, and Daemon, and that Manta with two SM1500s in it (Meow Mix's, I think?). There was so much cool stuff an I always wanted to do stuff like that. Now, six years later, I'm in college and I still remember that stuff. There's been neat stuff in the intervening period but I like to imagine that first batch as the most influential on my style, with the newer stuff stimulating my imagination to the point of me creating things like that.
That said, I worked on the 3.0 today. I brought it up to 3.1 by replacing the SMDTG tanks (which were performing terribly) with twin Hornet tanks, but they remained performing terribly. I think the SMDTG trigger mechanism doesn't deal well with multiple tanks on one shot, it doesn't pressurize properly or something but whatever the case was those shots performed poorly. In respect to the adhesion of the external parts, it took me literally twenty minutes to remove the SMDTG tanks. I had to ruin a crappy soldering iron to remove enough of the hot glue to pry it off. Meanwhile, the BS tanks and LS shot are hitting ridiculous ranges. I soon moved onto v3.2, which is this:
I took out the vinyl tee connecting the two Hornet tanks and put a coupler on the tubing to the trigger. It's not the most elegant system but it works. After firing the first Hornet, instead of reloading a quick yank and push will plug the tubing into the second Hornet barrel. It's probably only a little bit quicker but it's more of a holdover until v3.3, which I'm drawing up in my spare time.
Also, here's the cousins:
Frankenfucker v1.3 (I think that's the right numbering), meet Frankenfinder.
<edit> Shit, guys, sorry for the terrible quality pictures. I don't know what happened. I'll try and post up new ones with something that isn't my phonecam.
Also, I took those two Hornet tanks from v2.2. It's in the shop, should be upgraded by the end of the week.
Edited by Ice Nine, 18 January 2009 - 09:53 PM.