I picked this blaster up at Goodwill the other day (mainly because it still had all the darts!) for something easy to do while I take a break from harder projects. The main advantage (besides looking pretty sweet) is that by eliminating the stock and the pieces on the front the gun the balance is actually better then before. Its the tiniest bit front heavy, but really easy to use one-handed. I'm probably going to cut a bit more off the bottom of the front also.
Here's a nice size comparison. Its only a little longer then a Maverick now. Nothing I did should really affect ranges, but I'm hoping that not having that large orange thing on it will cut down on some misfires.
This was obviously inspired by the mech tommy 20 pistol, but I was afraid to up the voltage because I'm assuming that the rotating barrel and dart pusher are running off electricity also. I never did get the main gun opened up, so there's a slight chance I'm missing something. If you guys have any ideas I would be happy to hear them.
If you want to try this yourself you need to be a little careful cutting off the stock. There's 2 wires that stick past the main body of the gun just a tiny bit. Cut around the screw-hole first and gently bend the wires back before you finish trimming it. The orange piece will slide right out if you open up the front of the gun, but I couldn't make the hinge click like it used to when I put it back together.
Just a little something to give my Auto Tommy a bit more long range. The plungers came out of an old shotgun-type gun that I've posted a couple of times before. It was broken and my repairs weren't providing any lasting fixes, so I decided to salvage the plungers. They are self contained, so they worked great as a pull and release without additional modification. Only one has the AR removed, and the negligible range increase it gave while weakening the front of the tube makes me wish I hadn't bothered.
The range is about 40-50 feet with stock darts (the stefan I had went about 10-15 feet less for some reason) which is about 2x the range of the main gun. For the minimal effort involved, I think it worked out fairly well, and should be more then enough for indoors.
I might finally be pushed to paint this now that it has other stuff stuck to the side.
Edited by VelveetaAvenger, 16 April 2009 - 11:17 AM.