A Lean, Green, Fighting Machine

21 replies to this topic

#1 VelveetaAvenger

VelveetaAvenger

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 09:55 PM

Posted Image
I picked this blaster up at Goodwill the other day (mainly because it still had all the darts!) for something easy to do while I take a break from harder projects. The main advantage (besides looking pretty sweet) is that by eliminating the stock and the pieces on the front the gun the balance is actually better then before. Its the tiniest bit front heavy, but really easy to use one-handed. I'm probably going to cut a bit more off the bottom of the front also.

Posted Image
Here's a nice size comparison. Its only a little longer then a Maverick now. Nothing I did should really affect ranges, but I'm hoping that not having that large orange thing on it will cut down on some misfires.

This was obviously inspired by the mech tommy 20 pistol, but I was afraid to up the voltage because I'm assuming that the rotating barrel and dart pusher are running off electricity also. I never did get the main gun opened up, so there's a slight chance I'm missing something. If you guys have any ideas I would be happy to hear them.

If you want to try this yourself you need to be a little careful cutting off the stock. There's 2 wires that stick past the main body of the gun just a tiny bit. Cut around the screw-hole first and gently bend the wires back before you finish trimming it. The orange piece will slide right out if you open up the front of the gun, but I couldn't make the hinge click like it used to when I put it back together.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Just a little something to give my Auto Tommy a bit more long range. The plungers came out of an old shotgun-type gun that I've posted a couple of times before. It was broken and my repairs weren't providing any lasting fixes, so I decided to salvage the plungers. They are self contained, so they worked great as a pull and release without additional modification. Only one has the AR removed, and the negligible range increase it gave while weakening the front of the tube makes me wish I hadn't bothered.

The range is about 40-50 feet with stock darts (the stefan I had went about 10-15 feet less for some reason) which is about 2x the range of the main gun. For the minimal effort involved, I think it worked out fairly well, and should be more then enough for indoors.

I might finally be pushed to paint this now that it has other stuff stuck to the side.

Edited by VelveetaAvenger, 16 April 2009 - 11:17 AM.

"I never saw Beastmaster, I just wanted to be cool..."

#2 orogomi ninja

orogomi ninja

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 09:56 PM

Wow cool, similar to Ubermechs (is that how you spell it?) How did you clean up the cuts on the end?
QUOTE(Blacksunshine @ Dec 23 2008, 06:18 PM) View Post

Thats the way I do it. Use a rag with some light fast rubbing.

Sometimes I hate my uncontrollable imagination....

#3 Hoceky

Hoceky

• Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 10:00 PM

Wow cool, similar to Ubermenschs (is that how you spell it?) How did you clean up the cuts on the end?

That is german for Superman.
meh.

#4 orogomi ninja

orogomi ninja

• Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 10:02 PM

Wow cool, similar to Ubermenschs (is that how you spell it?) How did you clean up the cuts on the end?

That is german for Superman.

I know -.- I just forgot how to spell it- I am referring to a member of the NIC
QUOTE(Blacksunshine @ Dec 23 2008, 06:18 PM) View Post

Thats the way I do it. Use a rag with some light fast rubbing.

Sometimes I hate my uncontrollable imagination....

#5 Ubermensch

Ubermensch

• Members
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 10:07 PM

Nice work! I did this to mine a while ago, and then fucked it up shortly after by attempting to supercharge it. DON'T. The auto-advance overheats and throws off the rotation of the turret, then breaks. The plastic around the motor on mine was melted when I opened it up. Needless to say, I trashed it. I had this whole overhaul with an AT2k integration and everything, too. It sucked. What ranges is yours getting stock?
"In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."-Carl Sagan
Nerf Rocket Air Launcher

#6 VelveetaAvenger

VelveetaAvenger

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 10:14 PM

Wow cool, similar to Ubermechs (is that how you spell it?) How did you clean up the cuts on the end?

I just put duct tape over it. If I ever get around to repainting it I would do something nicer with plastic, but I didn't want dust and dirt getting in the electronics while I'm waiting.

Edit:

Nice work! I did this to mine a while ago, and then fucked it up shortly after by attempting to supercharge it. DON'T. The auto-advance overheats and throws off the rotation of the turret, then breaks. The plastic around the motor on mine was melted when I opened it up. Needless to say, I trashed it. I had this whole overhaul with an AT2k integration and everything, too. It sucked. What ranges is yours getting stock?

Thanks! That's pretty much what I was afraid of, so I'm glad I didn't try it. Ranges were tough to do because all the ground is covered in snow, but I paced most of them out to 20-25 feet on the sidewalk, with a few duds at around 8.

Edited by VelveetaAvenger, 21 December 2008 - 10:25 PM.

#7 Kyrativ

Kyrativ

• Members
  • 151 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 10:19 PM

Thats really well done i thought this was an all new blaster at first.
The only nerfer who could kick your ass with a dart tag gun but not with a xbow

NERFSTRONG #44

#8 Icespartan 1114

Icespartan 1114

Do NOT buy/sell with me

• DO NOT TRADE
  • 934 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 11:09 PM

That's interesting to say that least. Reminds me sorta of the Tommy 12. Just wondering how top heavy is that thing?
QUOTE(Zaxbys @ Mar 2 2009, 02:08 PM) View Post
I won't be there til about 1-2...

Church... gotta soak up that Jesus!

NERFSTRONG #51

#9 Norther of Heaven

Norther of Heaven

• Members
  • 349 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 12:47 AM

Guuh, i hate the "Tommy" guns. Whatever floats your boat i guess, good minimization.
"I don't always drink beer. But when I do,
I beat my wife."

#10 Betrayal

Betrayal

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 12:59 AM

Guuh, i hate the "Tommy" guns. Whatever floats your boat i guess, good minimization.

Seconded, but what I really don't like is that they all look fugly.
QUOTE(VACC @ Apr 15 2009, 11:23 AM) View Post

Doing shit is hard work.

VACC

#11 Betrayal

Betrayal

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 01:00 AM

Nevermind, accidental double post.

Edited by Betrayal, 22 December 2008 - 05:47 PM.

QUOTE(VACC @ Apr 15 2009, 11:23 AM) View Post

Doing shit is hard work.

VACC

#12 Redmark

Redmark

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 03:16 AM

Great mod!!! This makes me want to buy two and dual wield them. The grip for this blaster looks way more comfortable then the tommy 12.
good job on minimization.
Non-Expanding Recreational Foam

#13 atomatron

atomatron

• Members
  • 579 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 08:07 AM

I have one, the grip is pretty comfortable, though it looks like it was designed for people with only three fingers.
Perche Germolgi. [Because it shoots]

Rainbow Clan

#14 MoonMaster

MoonMaster

• Members
  • 180 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 12:44 PM

That's how the real Thompson grips looked, if I'm not mistaken.

5. Protip: sarcasm is good for making someone else look like more of an idiot than they already do. However, if you are an idiot to start with, using sarcasm just makes you look like a COLOSSAL idiot.

#15 VelveetaAvenger

VelveetaAvenger

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 05:41 PM

That's interesting to say that least. Reminds me sorta of the Tommy 12. Just wondering how top heavy is that thing?

It's not top heavy at all. The overall weight is fairly heavy, but the balance is good.

Seconded, but what I really don't like is that they all look fugly.

Yeah, out of the box they look pretty stupid, I do like the green color though.

#16 Eboreg

Eboreg

• Banned
  • 220 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 05:27 PM

That looks a lot like an M3 submachine gun
Always bring your sword to battle.

I pity the fool who attempts to use a single-shot blaster against me.

#17 Skorpion

Skorpion

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 11:39 AM

Thats pretty cool, but one disadvantage is the range. Overall I would go woth the maverick. " Quality over quantity".

#18 slowguitarman

slowguitarman

• Members
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 09 February 2009 - 12:22 PM

That's how the real Thompson grips looked, if I'm not mistaken.

It's slightly remotely similar, but it is skinnier. At least this "Tommy gun" has something that's similar to an actual Tommy gun, unlike it's predecessor. Also, it looks pretty cool minimized.
Your dreams were tight like a baby

SGM's Shred Shop -Mod Service

NerfHaven's resident drama queen.

#19 VelveetaAvenger

VelveetaAvenger

• Members
  • 630 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 03:30 PM

Unkown Blaster

I guess I did only post it at Nerfhq. I did figure out where the spring was supposed to go, but the post was too weak even after epoxy putty and it kept snapping off. I would still be interested if anybody else has seen one though.

#20 butters

butters

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 02:34 PM

If you are to up the voltage you will to get thicker gears for the drums and the add a separate set of batteries to the wheels in the front. If you do (Like I did) the depending on how much voltage (I use a 9.4v RC car battery for the main one and a 8.4v in the front) your gun will shoot much farther and faster. (I got 4.5 darts per second.)
SHOW OFF is just another word for beastly

#21 bignibb

bignibb

• Banned
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 12:46 AM

If you are to up the voltage you will to get thicker gears for the drums and the add a separate set of batteries to the wheels in the front. If you do (Like I did) the depending on how much voltage (I use a 9.4v RC car battery for the main one and a 8.4v in the front) your gun will shoot much farther and faster. (I got 4.5 darts per second.)

ive been waiting for weeks for my vlidation and then i see this post and i couldnt wait to chime in

here is my Tommy20 and my god son just got a vulcan and compaired to a moded tommy
that gun really aint poo, i mean the only real advantage is its ability to hold more darts
but aside from that, the tommy is better.

http://www.nerfhq.co...hp?topic=8500.0

#22 Darthrambo

Darthrambo

• Members
  • 116 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 02:13 AM

ive been waiting for weeks for my vlidation and then i see this post and i couldnt wait to chime in

here is my Tommy20 and my god son just got a vulcan and compaired to a moded tommy
that gun really aint poo, i mean the only real advantage is its ability to hold more darts
but aside from that, the tommy is better.

http://www.nerfhq.co...hp?topic=8500.0

Totally agree, I have 2 vulcans that came with craigslist bundles and a tommy 20 with a volt mod puts a vulcan with a volt mod to shame. Honestly I think the tommy 20 might be the most unappreciated blaster out there because of how weak they are stock.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users