Photo

New Member Grace Period

To keep the NHIC from stagnating.

27 replies to this topic

Poll: To ban or not to ban. (97 member(s) have cast votes)

Should new members be allowed a grace period (free to be flamed and corrected, protected from banishment)?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.

If you answered "Yes." to the previous question how long should it be?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#26 NerfDude1138

NerfDude1138

• Members
  • 114 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 12:52 PM

Here is what I would like to see more of:

"Are you fucking kidding me? Don't ever post a topic like this again. You want to know some mods for new guns, how about trying the fucking mod section? Did you think of that? Strike one and that's pretty much all you get. Next time you post a topic as useless as this you're gone.

Talio."

This is clear, it is concise, it serves as a warning and as a gentle but firm bitch-slap. I think it sums up the question quite well and can be easily copied and pasted into multiple situations and for a multitude of offenses. There is your grace-period.
Check out all my mods on FU.

Foam Universe
We are a friendly and rapidly growing Nerfing community.

#27 Foamfoot

Foamfoot

• Members
  • 461 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 01:16 PM

Here is what I would like to see more of:

"Are you fucking kidding me? Don't ever post a topic like this again. You want to know some mods for new guns, how about trying the fucking mod section? Did you think of that? Strike one and that's pretty much all you get. Next time you post a topic as useless as this you're gone.

Talio."

This is clear, it is concise, it serves as a warning and as a gentle but firm bitch-slap. I think it sums up the question quite well and can be easily copied and pasted into multiple situations and for a multitude of offenses. There is your grace-period.

GENTLE? The language and rudeness were totally un-called for. Well fuck fuck fuckedy fucking a in the fuck. That did not need that much offensive language. How the hell do we know that politely telling a member how things work around here doesn't work? People usually get warnings each time, in my earlier post (which VACC agreed on, Mana +1) I said we should respectfully tell people how to not get their accounts banned. That actually seems to work pretty well, but often with moderator warnings, the offending members still come back and do the same. Or worse, they post a "be nice to teh nuubs" topic.

Maybe we should just close this thread, as if the staff sees a serious problem, I'm sure they will fix it.
Pro-pants
(Unofficial) Wii thread
QUOTE(Bedhed117 @ Aug 14 2009, 03:49 PM) View Post

Damn it Foamfoot. Why is it that you kill every good topic with a retarded response a few days late.

#28 eddieoctane

eddieoctane

• Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 18 December 2008 - 01:59 PM

We have high standards here.

Anyone is welcome to join our community.

You are to meet our standards.

If you do not meet our standards, you will not remain a member of our community for very long.

Talio."

One is forced to wonder about the exact nature of the standards of NerfHaven. No offense to Talio intended. However if the claim is to be made that this forum is better than the others, then the actions of members should prove it. When someone does something outside of the Code of Conduct, so many people are so quick to jump down that person's throat. Being the best doesn't only imply skill in modifying or nerfing, it alludes to a greater tact in dealing with the community at large.

So I think if a new member's first post or 2 are out of line, a little more discretion should be shown in the reaction to them. It is possible to post 2 or 3 times before anyone looks and responds to any posts. And sometimes what some members would take to be a legitimate post, others would not (my thread about painting as an example). That being said, I think a definite limit will always seem arbitrary. Each situation should be approached in a logical manner. The very first rule of the Code of Conduct can be fairly ambiguous. If someone is trying, a gentle nudge can turn them into a valuable member of the community. If someone clearly isn't understanding what is expected of them, then a suspension or banning may be in order. But like I said, each situation is different and no empirical system will work. A little more understanding and a guiding hand may prove to be far more effective than attacking a person for every single mistake they make.
C8H18

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users