Photo

Stefan Molds?

32 replies to this topic

#1 CROW

CROW

• Members
  • 367 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 10:19 PM

Hey NerfHaven. So a while back, I read a topic about someone who had milled their own stefan mold out of aluminum. Needless to say, the darts from the mold came out looking perfect. However, I had never really needed perfect darts until a few days ago, when I started using a gun that shot great, but was picky with darts. So my question is, is there anyone out there with such a mold? Or does anyone have a suggestion to make darts with close to perfect weighting? Thanks.
"You can discover what your enemy fears most by observing the means he uses to frighten you."

"ah man, I would give you so much for one of those NIB crossbows or one of those crossbows on the floor. The ones on ebay have gone up to $59 and the shipping alone is $12." -Rip32

#2 AJZ

AJZ

• Members
  • 366 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 11:26 PM

I was looking for one too just about a month ago...there's a guy named Landru on NHQ that has half circle domes and pointed plastic molds for around 10 bucks. He says the half circles go extrodinarily far and as far if not farther than the aluminum mold that you saw. I just think that the bullet shhaped mold id fucking awesome...that's why I rather go with one GOOD mold instead of 6 plastic molds. I have contacted Rooster but he says he's busy with work and such. Maybe on of these days he'll sell me one, or I will find a way to fashion one myself

#3 CROW

CROW

• Members
  • 367 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 11:30 PM

Yeah, I'd have to agree with you on that one. Because even though having 6 plastic molds would be nice, I don't mind spending the time to make the best quality darts I can, especially when they look as good as they do. Nonetheless, I'll still look into what Landru is selling on NHQ.
"You can discover what your enemy fears most by observing the means he uses to frighten you."

"ah man, I would give you so much for one of those NIB crossbows or one of those crossbows on the floor. The ones on ebay have gone up to $59 and the shipping alone is $12." -Rip32

#4 Draconis

Draconis

I am not Lord Draconical

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 08:39 PM

Yes, I made myself a mold using a 1/2 round, 1/2" router bit. It works, but I think I use a little too much hot glue in the tips, because they are quite hard. Definitely end up being my best darts, though. If I remember, I'll post a picture soon.
[15:51] <+Noodle> titties
[15:51] <+Rhadamanthys> titties
[15:51] <+jakejagan> titties
[15:51] <+Lucian> boobs
[15:51] <+Gears> titties
[15:51] <@Draconis> Titties.
[15:52] <+Noodle> why is this so hard?

#5 AJZ

AJZ

• Members
  • 366 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 10:30 PM

Yes, I made myself a mold using a 1/2 round, 1/2" router bit. It works, but I think I use a little too much hot glue in the tips, because they are quite hard. Definitely end up being my best darts, though. If I remember, I'll post a picture soon.

I'd be interested in a mold since I don't have special bit for that. If they have the same bullet shape than great...a picture of the mold and a stefan would be much appreciated

#6 Rooster

Rooster

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 12:29 AM

The mold that I made is actually Steel it was just a piece of scrap i found at work. I'm pretty busy right now so making a bunch of molds is kinda far down on my list.

If i do decide to do it i would like to find a better way to make them, the one I did make took quite a while. Also if I do make any i will probably make a couple and put them on eBay possibly.

#7 CROW

CROW

• Members
  • 367 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 01:01 AM

Draconis - I had a similar thought of making a mold with a drill bit, but the only bits I have are for wood, which I thought might stick to the darts. Also, did you make the mold in halves, or did you just drill a hole with the right size? (I'm assuming you made it out of wood here, so lemme know if I'm wrong)

Rooster - If you ever try something like that, I'm positive that there will be a market for those. Hell, if I don't have a mold by then, I'll definitely buy one.

(By the way, anyone know how I would keep the darts from sticking to the wood or the metal?)

Edited by CROW, 18 November 2008 - 01:02 AM.

#8 Kid Flash

Kid Flash

• Members
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 06:38 AM

You could use pam... It works with eggs, why not darts?

#9 imaseoulman

imaseoulman

• Members
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 10:00 AM

Don't use wood. I'm almost positive that won't work. Even with pam (or any other lubricant/oil). Wood is just too porous.

#10 PC III

PC III

• Members
  • 389 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 11:36 AM

Ok, how do these work? I am at a loss.
QUOTE(ultra920 @ May 19 2008, 06:18 PM) View Post

Don't want to shove balls in tight spaces. Trust me, bad idea.

For sale: Vintage WWII French rifles. Dropped once, never fired.

#11 k9turrent

k9turrent

• Members
  • 829 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 11:42 AM

Ok, how do these work? I am at a loss.

From what I understand,

1. Create the hole
2. You place the weight in the top
3. Add the glue on top on the weight
4. shove the stefan in to create a repeatable dome.
QUOTE View Post

That's about it. And thanks Angela who helped me with these pictures.. It looks huge in her hands.

HOLY CRAP!

FU ALL

#12 PC III

PC III

• Members
  • 389 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 12:09 PM

Right, but how would that center the weaght?
QUOTE(ultra920 @ May 19 2008, 06:18 PM) View Post

Don't want to shove balls in tight spaces. Trust me, bad idea.

For sale: Vintage WWII French rifles. Dropped once, never fired.

#13 Split

Split

• Members
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 12:21 PM

Search next time:
http://nerfhaven.com...topic=12651&hl=

There's also a thread on HQ, as was mentioned.
Guess not. Here it is as well:
http://www.nerfhq.co...hp?topic=7195.0
There sure are some retards in that thread, but there are undoubtedly some posts with decent information.

Edited by Splitlip, 18 November 2008 - 01:02 PM.

Teehee.

#14 Draconis

Draconis

I am not Lord Draconical

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 01:55 PM

Wood? Seriously? Steel is a bad idea too. Too hard to drill in to. I made my mold out of aluminum, in which I drilled 1/2" holes. Then I rounded out the bottom of the hole with the router bit. For a release agent, I used (dry) silicone spray, but PAM would work nicely as well. The upside of silicone spray is that the dart heads don't stick to the barrels either, but aren't oily.

#15 nerfnut23

nerfnut23

• Members
  • 239 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 12:03 AM

Baked clay. Before baking, it is easy to shape. After, hard as granite. I make hollow pointed, flat, and "anti-armor"(very heavy, made for BBBBs, and other high-power guns). Seriously, I used a Longshot to punch thru 2 pieces of cardboard at 15 feet. And I keep a clip on me to bring down the douches that wear armor. Or a lucky shot to the forehead. That works too. Or if you don't respond after I hit you, one to the nuts. Fair warning. And don't use wood, unless you are finding a winner for the "Dumbest Nerf Mistake in History" contest. That trophy belongs to me, sorry. And rub pencil lead on the inside. Graphite is very slick. And unburnable.
American society: A legitimate clusterfuck since 1965.

#16 CROW

CROW

• Members
  • 367 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 01:11 AM

Hah, all right, so I won't be using wood. I'm just reaching out for any ideas, thats all. I sent a message over to Landru at NHQ, so I'll hopefully get a response from him.

#17 nerfnut23

nerfnut23

• Members
  • 239 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 08:44 PM

Graphite is very slick. And unburnable.

Just you try to tell that to the folks in Chernobyl.

Well, I meant unburnable by hot glue/surfaces. And care to elaborate on the Chernobyl wisecrack?

#18 Draconis

Draconis

I am not Lord Draconical

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 04:17 PM

Graphite is very slick. And unburnable.

Just you try to tell that to the folks in Chernobyl.

Well, I meant unburnable by hot glue/surfaces. And care to elaborate on the Chernobyl wisecrack?

Seriously? Are you unaware of the nuclear reactor meltdown at Chernobyl?

Or are you merely unaware of how a controlled fission reactor is supposed to operate?

#19 TheNerfLoki

TheNerfLoki

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 04:54 PM

I make hollow pointed, flat, and "anti-armor"(very heavy, made for BBBBs, and other high-power guns). Seriously, I used a Longshot to punch thru 2 pieces of cardboard at 15 feet. And I keep a clip on me to bring down the douches that wear armor. Or a lucky shot to the forehead. That works too. Or if you don't respond after I hit you, one to the nuts. Fair warning.

Need I say it .... yes. Give us a video of your 15 feet cardboard punching through stefan if you want this to seem even partially true. I believe this was a crude model of a shaped explosive charge. The problem is that the explosion is what make the charge more effective. It is probably only the weight the gives you the illusion of power. The weight will give a tiny bit more power at short range, but it will have a negative effect on a long range shot, seeing as the weight tips the weight-velocity ratio.
Am I the only one who uses the sig function for a sig?
TNL,

#20 Draconis

Draconis

I am not Lord Draconical

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 05:17 PM

Back on topic, I remember something awesome about molded tips. The tips are all uniform in diameter.

"Duh, we knew that."

No, no... That means that even with sub standard, thin, flimsy foam... The head of the dart still seals with all the same barrels. VERY well.

#21 Split

Split

• Members
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 05:23 PM

Hot glue isn't sleek like the sides of foam. If you relied on the head of the dart to make the seal with the barrel, the amount of friction would have a hugely negative impact on the power behind that dart. TO prove this, take some slightly loose foam (shouldn't be too hard, it's almost winter), and run a small bead of glue around the sides, and push it into your (lubed) barrel material. Once it cools, try to push it in and out. Much more difficult than a good fitting, normal stefan.
Teehee.

#22 Blacksunshine

Blacksunshine

• Members
  • 948 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 06:14 PM

Yeah, dart tip touching the barrel is bad. Sucks to have to try and get a dart that has jackknifed itself in the barrel out.

But on the topic of molds. Wood would work. so long as it is not a large grain wood. particleboard or MDF would be ideal since when drilled out it can be made smooth. spray it down with silicone or whatever so the hot glue wont stick to it. you got a cheap mold that will work for most of you. Another idea if you're just doing a couple darts at a time is a block of acrylic.

If you do a lot of darts all at once I still would suggest just learning how to make your darts the regular way.
Forgive my spelling and grammar. I post from my cell phone a lot. Sometimes when I'm on the can at work.

#23 Draconis

Draconis

I am not Lord Draconical

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 07:29 PM

Huh. The darts I have made with the molds are actually my best performing darts.

#24 nerfnut23

nerfnut23

• Members
  • 239 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 10:46 PM

Look Draconis, I have used torches on graphite and not had ignition. And I was born in '89, so you know. 3 years before Chernobyl.

TheNerfLoki, I actually do make those, and a) they were inspired by a .30/06 bullet and B)I usually use them in BBBBs and Blast Bazookas.

#25 Draconis

Draconis

I am not Lord Draconical

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 12:17 AM

Look Draconis, I have used torches on graphite and not had ignition.

Riiiiight... Like a pencil lead? That's a mixture of graphite and clay. Regardless of whether you have burned it, graphite (also carbon nanotubes, bucky balls, diamond, and plain old soot) will oxidize in to either CO, or CO2. It happens. A lot. It's why we live in houses instead of caves.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users