Photo

Rapid Fire 2000, Or Airtech 20?

12 replies to this topic

#1 texmustache

texmustache

• Members
  • 198 posts

Posted 16 January 2004 - 11:40 PM

The title isn't a typo. I'm not sure if this goes in mods or homemades...but...

Anyway, i had the parts of a rapid fire 20 and an airtech 2000 just lying around. But i was dissapointed in how much you had to pump the airtech to get it fully pressurized. So i tooke the RF20 pump, and attached it to the AT2k air chamber. I then sawed off the AT pump barrel and trigger, and put all the parts into various sizes of pvc tubing, all duct taped together. The result: a one pump per shot gun, mini-rifle sized, and allthough i haven't tested it, i think the range is about 50-60 feet on one pump, 70-90 on two (you can pump it twice...but its a bugger the second time). I'll have pictures if i ever get a digital camera. I want to add a clip system to the barrel or something, i'm not sure. Oh yeah, it's brass barreled by the way.

#2 Gamefreak

Gamefreak

• Members
  • 362 posts

Posted 17 January 2004 - 12:07 AM

Nice!
Gamertag : Corpseoftheyear

QUOTE(substance abuse)
No offense but soldat has to be the worst game ever made
Like anyone could even know that, GOSH.

#3 NinjaBob

NinjaBob

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 17 January 2004 - 12:44 AM

It sounds to me like your loosing range and dependability in favor of loosing 1 or 2 pumps. It only takes me a split second to pump a 2k 3 or 4 times. The only thing that slows me down is showing a dart into the barrel after each shot. Not the 3 seconds it takes me to pump the gun.
facebook.com/gregdp

#4 IronRhino

IronRhino

• Members
  • 363 posts

Posted 17 January 2004 - 02:32 AM

Yeah, I find it strange that 3 pumps is an annoyance to you. 50' is pretty crappy range. It sounds like you need to make the barrel system more efficient. It should work. If I were you, I would've changed the pump and maybe gotten different casing.
She never told me she was a mime

Check out Foam Fortress

#5 texmustache

texmustache

• Members
  • 198 posts

Posted 17 January 2004 - 10:31 AM

Yeah, i know, but i had neither case. And my AT2k pump was broken. Yeah, it took like 8 with my AT pump. I could probably add a turrent from the AT2k or something.

Edited by texmustache, 17 January 2004 - 10:31 AM.

#6 Ares

Ares

• Members
  • 166 posts

Posted 17 January 2004 - 02:20 PM

Make it clip-fed operated by a breech-handle, attach the pump to the breech handle, load it up with shotgun shells, and it'll have the true semblance of a pump-action shotgun i.e., it won't be actually pump-action, but you'll operate it as if it were. The breech handle clip-well actually, magazine(a clip is used to load a magazine)-will be on my website soon. Hey! You'd only have to do one thing to prime it! I think I'll go do that. I broke the multi-piece priming barrier! True pump action! If anyone takes my idea i'll kill 'em in their sleep! Yeah! please don't take this. I want my first GOOD idea that i actually posted to be done by me first.
The Greek God of War
Unseen

#7 Nerfer16

Nerfer16

• Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 17 January 2004 - 03:11 PM

Yeah, i know, but i had neither case. And my AT2k pump was broken. Yeah, it took like 8 with my AT pump.

How did your pump break. Eight pumps is 2-3 times how many pumps it should need. I just do three pumps.
Nerfer16 of the Seattle Tactical Nerf Team
Nerf on!

#8 J cobbers

J cobbers

• Members
  • 586 posts

Posted 18 January 2004 - 01:14 PM

This topic has given me a slightly crazy idea. What do you think would happen if you replaced the air systems in a RF20 with that of an AT2K?

What I mean is take out the rubber air bladder and the piston valve that roatates fires the gun, but leave in the splitter. Attach the pump of the RF20 to the AT2K right at the spliter. This would give you 20 rounds fired at very high pressure. The other thing that is going to be trick is rigging the trigger to fire the AT2k.

There is another way I think to look at applying an at2k to a RF20 would be to attach the at2k to piston valve on the RF20 wich would still auto advance it and fire at high pressure, at leat I think it would.

All this is theory, I'm looking at my Powerclip, which I know is similar to the RF 20 in design. and what I have concluded is that the piston valve moves forward pushed by the pressure from the air bladder until it advances the clip up one position at wich point the valve releases the pressure to the barrel now in line to be fired.

So the mechanism moves the barrels then fires. Thus if you epoxy or plumbers glue an AT2K an RF20's piston valve it should rotate the barrels once and release a higher ammount air pressure in one instance.

I'd like to test this theory, but lack the guns. I can get an RF20 at TRU redily enough but I have a drought on the AT2k's.If I ever try it out I'll let you know about the preformance.

Don't forget to eat your meat based vegetable substitute children.

#9 Wax

Wax

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 18 January 2004 - 09:42 PM

The reason the RF20 and other full auto guns use large air bladders is the huge air volume, and the ability to release a constant pressure over a sustained period of time. The AT2k's air chamber does neither of those. You would never be able to get 20 shots of with one blast. Also, I believe that the auto guns fire the dart then advance the clip/turret. The reason I say this is that

a) It makes more sense.

b) You wouldn't be able to fire the first dart if it advanced the clip/turret before firing the dart.

I don't quite understand all of your post, but I just thought I'd bring these points up.
Wax in the Nerf universe, wax4213 everywhere else.

#10 texmustache

texmustache

• Members
  • 198 posts

Posted 18 January 2004 - 11:11 PM

The auto guns fire and advance at the same time. The air pushes the chamber forwards, then when it hits the turret it fires and resets. Anyone, as a matter of fact, i did hook up the air bladder of the RF20 to the AT2K air chamber...it was wierd. You could get a few shots of with a quick trigger finger, but it usually all went out at once.

#11 J cobbers

J cobbers

• Members
  • 586 posts

Posted 19 January 2004 - 01:38 AM

Wax. if you look at the PC's clip when it's inserted there isn't a barrel lined up with the fireing mechanism. It get brought into line and then fired. Applied to the RF20, which is a drum, eventually the thing would rotate all the way around to the first barrel so it's a non-problem.

My idea is not to make a rapid fire gun. Just a gun with better range that you wouldn't have to spend time reloading. Idealy it would fire once and advance the drum/clip after fireing the dart much further than a normal automatic. I suppose the other potential problems with the idea are that the RF20 barrels are really short and most of the higher air pressue would be wasted there, and that it may not send all the extra pressure to the dart, but rather advance to the next round and fire again, but with not added velocity and reduced ROF.

I am curious texasmustach, did you attach the at2K air chamber to the rubber air bladder of the rf20 or directly to the valve that moves advances the barrels and fires? What I'm think of is the latter idea.

Don't forget to eat your meat based vegetable substitute children.

#12 texmustache

texmustache

• Members
  • 198 posts

Posted 19 January 2004 - 10:01 AM

Well, if i'd attached the RF20 to the valve of the RF20, it be basically the same gun out of the case. But no, i did attach it to the AT2k chamber.

Edited by texmustache, 19 January 2004 - 10:01 AM.

#13 Wax

Wax

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 19 January 2004 - 12:02 PM

Ahh, I now see what you mean J_cobbers. I stand corrected on the part on the advance then fire part. I also understand the rest of your post better. Yay for me.
Wax in the Nerf universe, wax4213 everywhere else.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users