At2k Tank Extension

Ranges are in!

67 replies to this topic

#51 imaseoulman

imaseoulman

• Members
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 10:55 PM

Wait, with the pump not plugged and only a four inch barrel, you're getting 100' FLAT? That's pretty impressive. I'm going to have to do some experimenting with this concept. I'm still dubious, but having range reported is making me think it's worth my time to investigate it.

#52 Banshee

Banshee

• Members
  • 668 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 11:32 PM

Well I'd like to hear some ranges of one withe a good barrel on it and a plugged pump.

I don't recommend plugging that pump. Too much power with a plugged pump is not good. What do you mean by good barrel? Like brass?

Well, brass is probably the best barrel material, but a long piece of tight CPVC should do.
Like my page on Facebook! PM me, I do commissions!

#53 Coop

Coop

#sogoodmuchtacticswowinit2winit360noscopehax0rleetbeastmodeactiv

• Members
  • 775 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 03:23 PM

Great mod, I just finished mine. I'm only getting about 90' flat, and that's with a 8 1/2" barrel. My piece of CPVC as the extended air tank is 8", so I'm surprised I'm not raping your ranges with that and the barrel.

How big of a hole did you cut in the black rubber? I cut it smaller than a dime, would opening it have any negative effects or just more air flow? I gooped the sides of the goo gauge and all the possible openings, so I don't have any air leaks. I just don't know why my ranges suck...

But it does hold a lot more air, obviously. When I pumped the AT2K stock, the OP valve kicked in on the third pump, now it kicks in on the sixth pump.

Posted Image

Edited by Coop, 17 November 2008 - 03:27 PM.

On the other hand, the guy who posted before me used the word 'fuck' a lot so he probably knows what he's talking about.

#54 boisie

boisie

• Members
  • 303 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 03:32 PM

Your not using a long enough barrel. I have a two inch stump on mine, and with a twelve inch PETG barrel, and no seal, I get about 70 with great accuracy. I just need to put a coupler on and it should be upwards of 100 with great accuracy.
QUOTE(One Man Clan) View Post
You understand what you just did posting a picture of 4 girls on a message board chock full of nerdy virgins, right?
QUOTE(Foamfoot) View Post
Maybe if we download Ubuntu Christian edition, God will help us install it.

#55 Roy

Roy

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 11:31 PM

What a charmingly simple way to expand tank capacity on an AT2K. After some math to determine barrel length, this mod will definitely happen at my house (probably with the swept extension mentioned by bamblack2000). Thanks Vistagecko.

Let me pick some brains while I'm at it;

Can any one think of a reason why this wouldn't work with any Air Tech blaster, for example an AT4K?
QUOTE(rork @ Sep 22 2008, 05:34 PM) View Post

Wanting a realistic nerf gun is like wanting a dildo that looks like a katana.

#56 Herpestidae

Herpestidae

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 11:55 PM

Can any one think of a reason why this wouldn't work with any Air Tech blaster, for example an AT4K?

I don't see why you couldn't do the same thing on the 3000 or 4000. It would be cool to add some elbows to the design so the extended tank would go back into the gun. Then it could sit in the area behind the airtank and not make the guns any larger than they already are. Now if only I had an airtech 3000.

Edited by Herpestidae, 17 November 2008 - 11:56 PM.

Grimlock no bozo! Grimlock king!

#57 nerfer9

nerfer9

• Members
  • 680 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 12:31 AM

I don't see why you couldn't do the same thing on the 3000 or 4000. It would be cool to add some elbows to the design so the extended tank would go back into the gun. Then it could sit in the area behind the airtank and not make the guns any larger than they already are. Now if only I had an airtech 3000.

It will not work, the goo gauges outer diameter on an at2k is different than a 3k. Maybe 1/2 inch PVC would work.

#58 Herpestidae

Herpestidae

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 01:03 AM

Well the basic idea should still work even if you have to alter the piping used.
Grimlock no bozo! Grimlock king!

#59 Accord

Accord

• Banned
  • 141 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 01:17 AM

unplugged, 100ft is beastly for a single shot at2k

keep it up dude!

#60 Uncle Hammer

Uncle Hammer

• Members
  • 750 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 06:13 PM

While it's a nice mod, I don't really see the practicality of it all. Sure you can hit 100 flat, but how is this any different then the ordinary mod of just plugging the pump and doing a barrel replacement? I'm struggling to see why you would try to improve an already outstanding gun which takes very little modification as is, not to mention now you have to pump it more.
Don't mess with Texas cuz its bigger than France, bitch..
QUOTE (Talio)
Catagory 5 hurricanes are the mighty dick of God.  You don't mess with that!  You don't mess with Gods dick!

#61 boisie

boisie

• Members
  • 303 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 06:19 PM

This mod not only increases range, but accuracy too. At least that's what I've seen.
You understand what you just did posting a picture of 4 girls on a message board chock full of nerdy virgins, right?

#62 Falcon

Falcon

Velcro'd Beanpole

• Members
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 08:20 PM

Uncle Hammer's right.

A tank extension like this can't increase the accuracy any, because it's still firing just as far as a pump plugged singled 2k. If you were to plug the pump as well, it would THEN increase the velocity, which would increase the flat range, which would mean the gun can fire straight, FURTHER, which would then mean an accuracy increase. Plug the pump, and THEN you'll find some truly outstanding results. Otherwise, the tank expansion is just a more difficult way of getting the same results as you would with pump plugging alone.

But the fact that you did it and it works makes you awesome anyway! Woo hoo!
----------||||||||)
QUOTE(Ilùvatar @ 0000) View Post
Of the theme that I have declared to you, I will now that ye make in harmony together a Great Music.

#63 boisie

boisie

• Members
  • 303 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 08:44 PM

The accuracy increase comes from using a longer barrel, which will almost always increase accuracy. The normal AT2K barrel is 6-8 inches, while using a 10 to 12 inch barrel on this will yield a slight increase in range, and much better accuracy.

And that is from my testing on Submarine, my AT2K with a 1.5inch extension.

#64 Split

Split

• Members
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 08:53 PM

Uncle Hammer's right.

A tank extension like this can't increase the accuracy any, because it's still firing just as far as a pump plugged singled 2k. If you were to plug the pump as well, it would THEN increase the velocity, which would increase the flat range, which would mean the gun can fire straight, FURTHER, which would then mean an accuracy increase. Plug the pump, and THEN you'll find some truly outstanding results. Otherwise, the tank expansion is just a more difficult way of getting the same results as you would with pump plugging alone.

But the fact that you did it and it works makes you awesome anyway! Woo hoo!

The accuracy increase comes from using a longer barrel, which will almost always increase accuracy. The normal AT2K barrel is 6-8 inches, while using a 10 to 12 inch barrel on this will yield a slight increase in range, and much better accuracy.

And that is from my testing on Submarine, my AT2K with a 1.5inch extension.

This thread. Ugh. Falcon, Bob (believe it or not) and Seoulman know what they're talking about, and are completely correct in their posts (watch, one of them will edit something insane in :blink:). The accuracy won't increase from a longer barrel. Or a greater volume of air, or amount of pressure. The accuracy comes from darts. This is from practical experience. I've used half of a dozen kinds of weights, in a dozen types of foam, with another half of a dozen types of barrel materials/types, with many lengths tested. I'm sure those three have as well. It comes from the way the darts are made, and especially how well the weights are centered.
A prime example is my primary, the pistol splat, which has a 1" plunger stroke, 3.5" barrels, with a remarkably tight fit on the darts. Theory would dictate that it wouldn't be accurate - short barrels, tight fit makes for an unbalancing expansion as it leaves, destabilizing the dart, a small volume of air does whatever is speculated it does. Practically, I won a 1 on 1 stand off with Vacc at about 50 feet, and got multiple hits on everyone (except Enchalaid! Christ!).
I have always been bad at closing paragraphs, but you get the point.

Edited by Splitlip, 18 November 2008 - 08:57 PM.

Teehee.

#65 rork

rork

• Members
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 11:34 PM

While it's a nice mod, I don't really see the practicality of it all. Sure you can hit 100 flat, but how is this any different then the ordinary mod of just plugging the pump and doing a barrel replacement? I'm struggling to see why you would try to improve an already outstanding gun which takes very little modification as is, not to mention now you have to pump it more.

I think you're neglecting one important aspect: this mod gives 100' ranges without plugging the pump, which means that the tank is un-blowable. Sounds like a fucking perfect loaner to me...
<a href="http://nerfhaven.com...howtopic=20296" target="_blank">SNAPbow Mk. V</a>
<a href="http://nerfhaven.com...howtopic=20409" target="_blank">Make it pump-action</a>

#66 Uncle Hammer

Uncle Hammer

• Members
  • 750 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 11:41 PM

If you can't play with non dumbass friends who neglect what you say, then you shouldn't be loaning guns out to them. Under no circumstances should you ever blow a tank using the specified and safe number of pumps, to have to do this mod so that you can have a little insurance in pumps is senseless, your either smart enough to pump it the right number of times or dumb enough to loan it to stupid friends who will overpump it.
Don't mess with Texas cuz its bigger than France, bitch..
QUOTE (Talio)
Catagory 5 hurricanes are the mighty dick of God.  You don't mess with that!  You don't mess with Gods dick!

#67 rork

rork

• Members
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 11:45 PM

I was referring more to the kinds of things that can go on at large wars; see the Hell Before Halloween thread for details. Ah, well; I consider anything that reduces the possibility of human error a good thing. People fuck up, upon occasion.
<a href="http://nerfhaven.com...howtopic=20296" target="_blank">SNAPbow Mk. V</a>
<a href="http://nerfhaven.com...howtopic=20409" target="_blank">Make it pump-action</a>

#68 Roy

Roy

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 11:15 PM

No doubt accuracy is most affected by the quality of dart being used, but if your AT2K doesn't have a perfect seal because it's not singled wouldn't the increased air volume be beneficial?

My experience with air guns would suggest barrel length is important to accuracy and range. Your barrel needs to be just long enough that the air outside and the air propelling the dart are close to the same pressure when it exits to be optimal.

Ultimately you could single it, expand the tank and plug the pump. Then we could all argue about the size of our exit wounds til our blasters bust.
QUOTE(rork @ Sep 22 2008, 05:34 PM) View Post

Wanting a realistic nerf gun is like wanting a dildo that looks like a katana.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users