Switch Shot Ex-3

Basic mods

12 replies to this topic

#1 MithMorchaint

MithMorchaint

• Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 08:59 PM

I picked up a Switch Shot EX-3 tonight and opened it up (http://images.entert...CHNR66755lg.jpg if you don't know what it is). I did a basic spring upgrade with a piece of one I had laying around, as well as a CPVC barrel replacement that also removes the AR. I don't think anyone has posted mods for this gun yet, so I thought I'd throw a writeup here. I apologize for the poor quality of the pictures, my good camera is currently not at college with me.

(Edit: It has come to my attention that somebody else already did a brass barrel replacement on this gun, so that's not a first.)

The gun module:
Posted Image

There are four screws on the other side. Unscrew those and it will pop open, no problem. No glue. Just watch out for the catch's spring, it likes to come out.

The internals. About as simple as they come (I flipped it around from the last picture):
Posted Image

The arrangement is essentially identical to that of the NF.

In addition to the air restrictor, the opening at the barrel-end of the plunger tube is horribly small (this picture is taken from the back end of the tube):
Posted Image

The spring and plunger:
Posted Image

One screw holds the plunger head onto the rod. Unscrew that and you can add a new spring.

With the new spring added:
Posted Image

Now, the barrel replacement and AR removal. The AR is in the middle of several glued-together pieces, one of which is the barrel. I decided to simply cut off the barrel, allowing access to the AR. Once I removed the AR a new barrel could be inserted.

What we're working with:
Posted Image

I cut around the barrel, removing it. This is with the barrel removed but AR still in place. There is a small lip which holds it in.
Posted Image

I shaved around the inside of the opening that is now there until it was large enough for a piece of CPVC to fit in. Incidentally, that also enlarged the hole enough for the AR to come out with a bit of cutting where it is attached to the sides.
Posted Image

I didn't like how small the hole going from the tube to the barrel was, so I similarly enlarge that by shaving around it with a knife. You could also just drill it out.
Posted Image

With that done, I simply hammered the new CPVC barrel in and glued it in place. I should point out that you have to be careful how long you make the barrel, since one which is too long will not allow the module to fit into the gun's frame.
Posted Image

Re-assembled the module.
Posted Image

And popped it into the shell.
Posted Image

Ranges are good, though I have no way to measure them currently. My estimate would be between 50 and 70 feet, but that could be off. Either way, its power is increased significantly by doing these basic mods.

Edited by MithMorchaint, 06 November 2008 - 04:27 PM.

#2 Norther of Heaven

Norther of Heaven

• Members
  • 349 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 09:14 PM

Sweet jesus finally a new mod. We've been in a drought on here the past few days.

I like the shell of the gun, it looks like the handle of a Recon.
"I don't always drink beer. But when I do,
I beat my wife."

#3 Foam Shooter

Foam Shooter

• Members
  • 212 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 09:23 PM

Can it fire like that or does it have to be in the gun? Nice mod by the way.

#4 Kid Flash

Kid Flash

• Members
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 09:27 PM

So this is basically a rebareled nf?

#5 MithMorchaint

MithMorchaint

• Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 09:35 PM

Theoretically, the module can fire on its own. However, there is no trigger attached to it so you'd have to build in a way to fire it or else push the release with a pen or something similar. All the gun shell really does is add a trigger to it.

Kid Flash: Basically. In size and function they are about the same. However, the way that the barrel, AR, and plunger tube are attached is different than in an NF.

#6 Bomberman

Bomberman

• Members
  • 730 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 11:46 PM

Wait, is this the gun that can have the Wiimote in the bottom, for the nerf Wii game? (The Link did'nt work for me for some reason)
QUOTE(silentsnipe) View Post

It's not like that. I put lube on it and its the same. Its just stuck. And when I cock it back it goes farther back then usual. Also I push as hard as I can and it wont go back in. I've tried the methods and they wont work. Also pics are up.

#7 Shadowblade

Shadowblade

• Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 08:32 AM

Wait, is this the gun that can have the Wiimote in the bottom, for the nerf Wii game? (The Link did'nt work for me for some reason)

Yes Bomberman, the gun module can be taken out and replaced with the Wiimote.
Proverbs says, "The wise man doth not shoot the Viking in the ding ding for he shall pummel thee."

But you can totally shoot Vacc there, he loves it!

~Talio

#8 CrazyIvan VI

CrazyIvan VI

• Members
  • 295 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 01:40 PM

The Wiimote actually goes in the TOP of the gun, where the plunger system is. That's why the Plunger Mechanism is removable, it allows you to put the Wiimote in the gun.
I get all giddy when I see VACC browsing a stupid topic. I just know someone is going to get banned.

#9 Bomberman

Bomberman

• Members
  • 730 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 02:42 PM

Oh, cool. The new game comes out this weekend I think. (It was November 8th, correct?)
QUOTE(silentsnipe) View Post

It's not like that. I put lube on it and its the same. Its just stuck. And when I cock it back it goes farther back then usual. Also I push as hard as I can and it wont go back in. I've tried the methods and they wont work. Also pics are up.

#10 MithMorchaint

MithMorchaint

• Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 02:49 PM

The game is already out. I got it with the gun.

And yes, the Wiimote goes in the top of the gun, replacing the plunger tube module.

#11 Quilan Fett

Quilan Fett

• Members
  • 678 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 08:44 PM

I reccomend that you use a barrel stub/coupler so you can use a longer barrel and the shell.
SNAP Shotgun

This guy can see the future!

QUOTE(pokemaster @ Mar 3 2009, 04:18 PM) View Post

hasbro in a nerf war!!!!! dude the will cancel it and confinscate are guns

#12 rifleman

rifleman

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 10:26 PM

That just gave us a new kind of integration idea. Im talking about the gun modual. Is it possible to attah some wire to where the trigger is supposed to be? :)
"Nerf to all and to all Nerf all Night!"

My guns are in my PI on my profile.

More people need to nerf in North Dakota

#13 tennis8668

tennis8668

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 10:45 PM

I think akmetan was able to build his own trigger out of the tip of the prong on an AR and attach it to an armband. Here's the link: http://nerfhaven.com...showtopic=13736

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users