Vulcan Sentry Gun In Progress

PICTURES!!!

26 replies to this topic

#1 ex-airsofter

ex-airsofter

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 10:50 AM

Hows it goin NH! Finaly I can post. Now down to business.

I am in the process of building a multi-function Vulcan that works as a standard vulcan, remote opperated vulcan and a unsupervised sentry gun. The entire process is going very well. By useing some spare parts from one of my old rc rockcrawlers I can now fire and rotate the gun via remote, I can even control thr ROF it has. A micro speedcontroller fires the gun while a 333 OzIn servo rotates the gun left and right. All the componets store inside the HUGE battery tray beside a Li-Po battery.
Now the problem, I am wanting to use the third channel on the remote to activate a motion sensor and a timer that can reset the system 3 or so seconds after motion is detected and fireing has commenced. Kind of a tall order but it would be pretty sweet if it works. Any ideas? I searched for remote guns, sentry guns and the like and didn't get any hits, if this is a old idea and I just didn't find the tread then I'm sorry...please don't ban me :lol: !

Heres the diagram, sorry for it being so slopy.
Posted Image
This looks complicated but its not, just split the battery wires so they go to the guns original system and to the speed control, then run the speedos motor wires in and splice them into the corect motor wires in the gun. this way you can still use it via the trigger.

EDIT: Finaly some pictures of the rotational system!!!
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by ex-airsofter, 01 November 2008 - 09:15 PM.

#2 bogboogalars

bogboogalars

• Members
  • 398 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 10:53 AM

Well this sounds awesome if it ends up working, but might I suggest a few pictures to back up you claims, not that I don't believe you but it always helps to have pictures. Even if the gun is not finished just post some progress pics, as for your questions I'm sorry but I am unable to help you there.

#3 ex-airsofter

ex-airsofter

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 10:57 AM

I will try to get some up soon, I will have to buy a camera first so I should have them up by next weekend (after payday!)

#4 BendyStraw

BendyStraw

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 11:02 AM

Hm, that sounds like an electrical issue, not a Nerf-related one.

I remember finding mods of that USB rocket launcher that tracks targets with a lazer pointer. However, it needs a computer with the software handy to function. Integrating your vulcan with a small laptop with software on it would probably not be ideal.

I would also be wary about getting into the sometimes extremely complex stuff involved with hard electronics. If you don't have the equipment like a soldering gun, and if you don't have electrical knowledge, don't count on being able to make something this complex. You can probably make it fire off of a commercial motion sensor, but the three second timer starts to add complexity very quickly. I'd probably settle with the remote operation myself. You have to call your shots in Nerf anyway, so you do need to be at least near the sentry.

Edited by BendyStraw, 01 November 2008 - 11:03 AM.

WARNING - I'M BRUTALLY HARD TO READ!

#5 MithMorchaint

MithMorchaint

• Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 01:17 PM

This may be of some use to you:

http://technorati.co.....v=XzYdthtTuAE

I found another instruction set for one that actually tracks motion/colors, but it costs about $3000 to build so I doubt you want it.

#6 Kid Flash

Kid Flash

• Members
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 01:59 PM

This would be awesome to have during an indoor war... just sit behind a couch or something and plow through everyone with darts. I can't wait to see some pictures/videos of it... and possibly a write up of how to wire everything...

#7 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 02:09 PM

I have been doing a lot of research in the past about how to turn the Vulcan into a sentry.
Unless you are really good at computer/software programming it cannot be done.
Those who have created sentry guns for airsoft/paintball have been less than helpful as to which program to use and how to modify the program to suit the needs of a sentry gun.

It was an idea I had abandoned.
I wish you good luck.
I don't get my kicks out of you,
I don't feel the way I used to do.
I know its bad,
After what we had,
But I’m just not the angel you knew.

#8 Kalex

Kalex

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 04:52 PM

You'll need to connect like 5 vulcan belts to not have to worry about running out of ammo if you leave it autonomous. And, motion-sensitive guns are really easy to fool. Just wave something around near it.

Edited by Kalex, 01 November 2008 - 04:52 PM.

QUOTE(VACC @ Dec 3 2008, 07:51 AM) View Post

Remember kids, only you can prevent herpes! Or was it something else? Dirty fucking bear.

VACC

#9 noclue12

noclue12

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 05:29 PM

that is awesome ex-airsofter, you sould try to make instructions for the remote operated vulcan. :lol:

Edited by noclue12, 17 November 2008 - 06:53 PM.

signature

#10 s3an967

s3an967

• Members
  • 83 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 05:38 PM

My older brother is good at CPU software but you might need to use a Lego Mindstorms NXT set to make it be motion detective and move then you would have to make it shoot and find the person . it would be hard
Watch this- I can tip-toe while you take a piss.

#11 King Of Butt Land

King Of Butt Land

• Banned
  • 324 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 05:49 PM

+1 if you dress it up like a TF2 turret.
QUOTE(Puppy-§layer @ Dec 18 2008, 04:22 AM) View Post

This contest may have some flaws, as people can simply be a deuschbag over the internet. By Lying.

A war-like setting/invitational would be better...

#12 Zack Koukios

Zack Koukios

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 06:44 PM

+1 if you dress it up like a TF2 turret.

that would be amazing. Props to the op for what he has done so far

#13 ex-airsofter

ex-airsofter

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 06:52 PM

I'm trying to start a photobucket account so I can post the wireing diagram, its pretty simple though. The motion sensor is seeming a little to complicated (read: expensive :( ) so I'm toying around with the idea of useing the third channel to raise and lower the barrel. That would put alot more stress on a servo so I would probably have to come up with a bellcrank system or something.
My pc is old and slow but I should have the diagram up tonight sometime...damn you dialup!!!!

Edit: noclue12, the rotation is kinda limited in range due to the short servo throw but once I fix that and get all the "bugs" worked out Ill do a full how-to with pictures and everything.

Edited by ex-airsofter, 01 November 2008 - 06:59 PM.

#14 eveans

eveans

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 07:02 PM

I don't know if this will help you but here is a link to a paintball sentry gun:
http://www.i-am-bore...m?link_id=31620

You might be able to buy one and rig it to fire the vulcan or something. :(

That's all i got for now.

#15 PC III

PC III

• Members
  • 389 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 02:24 PM

edit: Shit my bad.

Edited by P.C. III, 02 November 2008 - 02:25 PM.

QUOTE(ultra920 @ May 19 2008, 06:18 PM) View Post

Don't want to shove balls in tight spaces. Trust me, bad idea.

For sale: Vintage WWII French rifles. Dropped once, never fired.

#16 Split

Split

• Members
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 02:34 PM

Extend out the servos arm and lengthen the connecting rod to get more swivel range.

What circuit did you use for your semi/full switch? I have been meddling with that project on the side for a while now. It's not all that difficult, just time consuming.
Teehee.

#17 noclue12

noclue12

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 06:33 PM

Thank you for the instructions. Do you know about those remote controled spy car things with cameras and a headset? You sould add something like that to the rail or something.

Edited by noclue12, 05 November 2008 - 03:34 PM.

signature

#18 Wes7143

Wes7143

• Members
  • 758 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 07:08 PM

Thank you for the instructions. :unsure:

You quoted the whole fucking post pictures and all for something completely non-productive to this thread?

Wow, you FAIL!
QUOTE(VengefulWaffle)
Get off my boyfriend

If at first you don't succeed, add more epoxy.

#19 k9turrent

k9turrent

• Members
  • 829 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 07:36 PM

Thank you for the instructions. :D

You quoted the whole fucking post pictures and all for something completely non-productive to this thread?

Wow, you FAIL!

yeah Effeminate fail

ontopic: it would be cool if you attached the remote to DTG or something for saving your own ass
QUOTE View Post

That's about it. And thanks Angela who helped me with these pictures.. It looks huge in her hands.

HOLY CRAP!

FU ALL

#20 TheNerfLoki

TheNerfLoki

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 02 November 2008 - 08:30 PM

I am working on several nerf bots right now. BTW a good sentry bot trigger is a pressure plate connecting a circuit.
Am I the only one who uses the sig function for a sig?
TNL,

#21 ex-airsofter

ex-airsofter

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 08:25 AM

Oops, I ment manual and auto, Im still workin on the semi though, trying to rig up some airsoft tec. into a nerf gun. I ghould get a I.R. laser for use with N.V.G.s. The unseen, unkillable messenger of death :D

Edited by ex-airsofter, 03 November 2008 - 08:25 AM.

#22 oozinator

oozinator

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 02:33 PM

I know this thread has been inactive for nearly a year, but I feel that this post is really relevant to the topic that was discussed.

Some engineering students at Cornell University built their own Vulcan sentry gun. You can check out the video at here.

The neatest function appears to be the IFF system they have. Although not as fast as the paintball turret posted earlier in this thread, it seems to be quite decent and improvable.

If someone else had referenced this video before, I apologize for re-posting. I did a preliminary search on NH forums and couldn't find proof of a functioning Vulcan sentry, so I felt that posting this was in the interest of the nerfing community.

#23 ilzot

ilzot

• Members
  • 286 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 03:00 PM

Best necro I have ever seen.

That is so awesome.

If you used that in a war minus the badge stuff, and you sat behind with a powerful gun, that'd be so amazing.
QUOTE(Vinnie D. @ Feb 1 2010, 05:28 AM) View Post

... to be able to get a better burst or sustained fire, rather than blowing the whole load at once.

#24 mrtriggerhappy

mrtriggerhappy

• Banned
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 08:07 PM

this may help:gadgetreview

#25 Echnalaid

Echnalaid

• Members
  • 981 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 09:43 PM

I know this thread has been inactive for nearly a year, but I feel that this post is really relevant to the topic that was discussed.

Some engineering students at Cornell University built their own Vulcan sentry gun. You can check out the video at here.

The neatest function appears to be the IFF system they have. Although not as fast as the paintball turret posted earlier in this thread, it seems to be quite decent and improvable.

If someone else had referenced this video before, I apologize for re-posting. I did a preliminary search on NH forums and couldn't find proof of a functioning Vulcan sentry, so I felt that posting this was in the interest of the nerfing community.

That's fucking insane.
There was something on the bottom of the ad that said erotyka. Sounds like something spicy -Renegademilitia15

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users