56k beware...but it's worth the wait...

91 replies to this topic

#26 slowguitarman

slowguitarman

• Members
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 08:00 PM

This is really a hell of a job.

I especially like the bits around the magazine, and the work you've done on the stock area. She looks spot on. The logo is also pretty kick ass. I like the fact that it isn't another copy of Forsaken's. You've made your own unique monster.

This makes me want to get to work on my own lancer. I've been intending on making one, just never got around to it. I don't think I have the bondo skills to come near what you've done here.

Thanks a lot. I personally like the beveled part right above the magazine. It is kinda hard to tell in the picture, but the beveled part with the 3 tiny, slanted lines on it is one of my favorite parts. You should definitely try to make one. It was a good bit of work and left a disgusting mess to clean, but it was worth it for sure. The Bondo parts just take patience.

@boom: As stated to busta, you are completely entitled to your own opinion. You are not, however, entitled to type like you are 5 years old. Hit the shift key and try some punctuation.

@Busta: I have to give you kudos again for being a cool dude.

Another thing I have to add is the fact that I don't want to sell this now haha. Even though I made it with full intentions of selling it, I have become so attached to it that I don't think I would even consider selling it for less than F_a24's. There was sooo much work put into this thing. Chances are good that, unlike Forsaken, I will honestly never build another one of these. If I did, it would be for me and me alone. I would never sell it. This is the first project that I have ever been satisfied enough with to call it complete. I am never satisfied with myself. I am always working to one-up myself. The good part about the lancer is that once you get such a close replica, you can't really do anymore to it. When I do other projects, I keep changing things over and over because I don't have a set-in-stone goal.
Your dreams were tight like a baby

SGM's Shred Shop -Mod Service

NerfHaven's resident drama queen.

#27 rork

rork

• Members
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 08:08 PM

I don't even game, but this is fucking gorgeous. As for the inevitable comparisons with Angel's I would say that the difference is mainly one of degree; Angel's longshot is a Lancer, while your Lancer happens to also be a Longshot.
<a href="http://nerfhaven.com...howtopic=20296" target="_blank">SNAPbow Mk. V</a>
<a href="http://nerfhaven.com...howtopic=20409" target="_blank">Make it pump-action</a>

#28 Guest_fadinglight4_*

Guest_fadinglight4_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 October 2008 - 08:17 PM

That fucking great. You guys worked hard enough and deserve an applause. That is really cool. Great job. The form is very realistic. In this topic you showed a picture of the real Lancer and then yours next to each other and they looks really alike. Great job. This should definitely get into the Modification Directory.

#29 Icespartan 1114

Icespartan 1114

Do NOT buy/sell with me

• DO NOT TRADE
  • 934 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 08:21 PM

Dude that is just amazing. Words cant even describe it. GREAT WORK!!!
QUOTE(Zaxbys @ Mar 2 2009, 02:08 PM) View Post
I won't be there til about 1-2...

Church... gotta soak up that Jesus!

NERFSTRONG #51

#30 Galaxy613

Galaxy613

• Members
  • 999 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 08:34 PM

Angel's longshot is a Lancer, while your Lancer happens to also be a Longshot.

Very very VERY well said. Pretty much sums it up.
[Former Caretaker of the Guru Mk2]

#31 boom

boom

• Banned
  • 209 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 08:42 PM

Sorry slowguitarman I am a noob to the Haven dude damn

Sorry forgot the period.
I'm just the scitzophrenic clusterfuck of randomness that is me.

#32 slowguitarman

slowguitarman

• Members
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 08:42 PM

Angel's longshot is a Lancer, while your Lancer happens to also be a Longshot.

Very very VERY well said. Pretty much sums it up.

I couldn't have said it better myself. That is very well said and it makes me smile.

I also gotta keep saying thanks for all the good feedback from everyone B)

EDIT: Boom, apology accepted. Good posts will get you a long way around here.

Edited by slowguitarman, 29 October 2008 - 08:45 PM.

#33 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 08:56 PM

Very impressive. Very very impressive!
Although it does not justify your arrogance in my Lancer thread.
Maybe you didn't mean to type that way but that is how I read it.

Back on topic:

I really like this.
I completely agree with you about the whole Nerf war vs Mantle piece comment.
My Lancer was designed as a Nerf gun first and Lancer second. You switched those two around.
I can only imagine how awkward it is to cock the gun with a BBB spring added to it and no stock.
I love the paint job and I love the attention to detail. The additional shell pieces near the clip and the trigger guard are sheer brilliance.
I did however make a second Lancer with only one button to turn on everything. You can see it in the tour of the workshop thread.
I think the only thing I don't like is the parts of the paint job that are brown.
Excellent job on the gears symbol too.
I would not be surprised if someone posted this on kotaku as well.

Does this look better than my Lancer? Well I will never admit it.
But if I had to, I take pride that it took 2 men 6 months and an airborne bondo contaminated apartment to out do me.
I don't get my kicks out of you,
I don't feel the way I used to do.
I know its bad,
After what we had,
But I’m just not the angel you knew.

#34 slowguitarman

slowguitarman

• Members
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 29 October 2008 - 09:21 PM

Very impressive. Very very impressive!
Although it does not justify your arrogance in my Lancer thread.
Maybe you didn't mean to type that way but that is how I read it.

Back on topic:

I really like this.
I completely agree with you about the whole Nerf war vs Mantle piece comment.
My Lancer was designed as a Nerf gun first and Lancer second. You switched those two around.
I can only imagine how awkward it is to cock the gun with a BBB spring added to it and no stock.
I love the paint job and I love the attention to detail. The additional shell pieces near the clip and the trigger guard are sheer brilliance.
I did however make a second Lancer with only one button to turn on everything. You can see it in the tour of the workshop thread.
I think the only thing I don't like is the parts of the paint job that are brown.
Excellent job on the gears symbol too.
I would not be surprised if someone posted this on kotaku as well.

Does this look better than my Lancer? Well I will never admit it.
But if I had to, I take pride that it took 2 men 6 months and an airborne bondo contaminated apartment to out do me.

First of all, thanks for the kind words, Forsaken. First of all, I read all my posts that I typed in any of your threads that had anything to do with the lancer, and some of the stuff I said sounds arrogant, and I didn't exactly mean for it to. For a long time when I was coming to this site, you struck me as a cocky person, so I was trying to give you a hard time about it without being too much a of douche. Now that I read them again, I sounded much more like a huge douche, and I didn't mean to. I also now realize that you aren't cocky. My guess is that you come off the wrong way sometimes, and I have the same problem. Especially on the internet. As with what I said about having four switches, I was really just goofing around. I realize how easy it is to mess electronic things up, so I was just playing around, as I told you when you PM'd me. If I offended you, I apologize. My lancer has its bit of problems too, but I won't fix them. Imperfection is beauty for me. Now onto the other stuff.
Yes, the BBB spring in there makes it super awkward, and that's why it won't stay in there. I just stuck in there temporarily from my main longshot.
As for the brown, there really isn't much of that brown at all (it actually isn't brown, it is rust colored, but it does look different in the pics). There is just that tiny bit behind the front of the barrel, and there is a little tiny bit sticking out from behind the red on the bar of the chainsaw. Maybe you are seeing something wrong?
Also, it didn't take six whole months, but it would still be a few solid months for two guys. It definitely did take a lot of work.
If this got on Kotaku, I would soil my pants with excitement.

Again, I am sorry for sounding arrogant. I didn't mean that stuff to sound as bad as it did. I hope nobody will hold it against me. As I have talked with other people, I am not the only one with trouble in internet sarcasm. Thanks, Forsaken.

#35 MrDelish

MrDelish

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 11:28 AM

If the paintjob were better, it would look absolutely perfect.

#36 slowguitarman

slowguitarman

• Members
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 02:32 PM

Perfection shouldn't be opinionated, but it is. What do you mean by "better" though? I don't really care too much for opinionated responses with no clarification. I painted it exactly how I wanted it to look. Slightly worn but not sloppy. The parts that are more silver than black are painted that way on purpose. I didn't want super clean lines.

Disclaimer: This is not an angry post. I truly want to know what you think would make it better. If I like the idea enough, I can always repaint it.

Edited by slowguitarman, 30 October 2008 - 02:32 PM.

#37 TantumBull

TantumBull

• Moderators
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 05:11 PM

Great job! Everything is definitely working, except for one thing in my opinion. The paintjob. I fully understand that you were going for a "worn but clean" sort of look, but I think it is a tad too worn, color-wise at least. Now this may be only because of the pictures, but the black looks a tad bit grey to me. I think it would look a bit better with a more, well, black black. Also maybe a bit more gloss? If you were basing it off the picture you showed, the paintjob is spot on. I've just envisioned a lancer a bit darker in tone.

All that aside this is an amazing gun. Props to you and your friend, and once again, it may just be the pictures that display the colors this way.

PS: Your bondo skills are quite amazing.

Edit: Whether or not the actual lancer is shiny or black, I think it looks better that way. That was really the point I was trying to get across.

Edited by TantumBull, 30 October 2008 - 07:24 PM.

#38 slowguitarman

slowguitarman

• Members
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 06:00 PM

Great job! Everything is definitely working, except for one thing in my opinion. The paintjob. I fully understand that you were going for a "worn but clean" sort of look, but I think it is a tad too worn, color-wise at least. Now this may be only because of the pictures, but the black looks a tad bit grey to me. I think it would look a bit better with a more, well, black black. Also maybe a bit more gloss? If you were basing it off the picture you showed, the paintjob is spot on. I've just envisioned a lancer a bit darker in tone.

All that aside this is an amazing gun. Props to you and your friend, and once again, it may just be the pictures that display the colors this way.

PS: Your bondo skills are quite amazing.

I can't believe how much everyone hates the paintjob. Anyway, I based my lancer off of the comparison picture I showed. In that picture and many, many, many others that I have looked at, the lancer is not black. It is a worn black/silverish color. It is definitely not black. The gun was painted flat black, then dry brushed silver and steel and then certain parts were painted much more silver colored. I then put a matte finish on it. A weapon that is intended to cut people in half with both bullets and chainsaws shouldn't be shiny. Also, as I said, it is based off of that picture, and that thing isn't shiny at all. The pictures also make it look worse than it does in person. Either way, thanks a lot for the good comments :)

#39 Lucian

Lucian

• Members
  • 446 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 09:08 PM

Amazing job but, what do you do if the gun jams; there is no jam door?

Contact me for design consultation relating to 3D Printing, CNC Machining, and Laser Cutting. I am always happy to collaborate on viable Open Source projects and/or business ventures. 

#40 Wes7143

Wes7143

• Members
  • 758 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 10:05 PM

I can't believe how much everyone hates the paintjob.

Don't worry, I really like that paintjob. It makes it look more......real. So real infact, that I just might do this with a real chainsaw...

sarcasm aside, how it this beast loaded?
1. Does it still use the same bolt? I haven't seen any pictures of the gun with the bolt in it.
2. Does the clip holder type thing (which looks sick!) interfere with loading in new magazines?

Edited by Wes7143, 30 October 2008 - 10:06 PM.

QUOTE(VengefulWaffle)
Get off my boyfriend

If at first you don't succeed, add more epoxy.

#41 MrDelish

MrDelish

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 12:17 AM

Perfection shouldn't be opinionated, but it is. What do you mean by "better" though? I don't really care too much for opinionated responses with no clarification. I painted it exactly how I wanted it to look. Slightly worn but not sloppy. The parts that are more silver than black are painted that way on purpose. I didn't want super clean lines.

Disclaimer: This is not an angry post. I truly want to know what you think would make it better. If I like the idea enough, I can always repaint it.

I understand what you mean.

The paintjob seems lacking though. If the metal finishing looked, well, more metal-y it would look perfect.

Edited by MrDelish, 31 October 2008 - 12:17 AM.

#42 slowguitarman

slowguitarman

• Members
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 02:49 PM

The paintjob seems lacking though. If the metal finishing looked, well, more metal-y it would look perfect.

Blue. But not the color.

Haha, I don't think I will be bluing my plastic toy blaster. Besides, it would still make it glossy, which I don't want. And to MrDelish, I think it might just be the pictures. It honestly looks different in person.

@Lucian: The chances are it jamming aren't very high, and even if it does, it is Angel breeched, so a jam door isn't going to help anyway.

@Wes: It still loads and fires exactly like a longshot. I didn't put a picture with the bolt handle because I didn't paint it. I am going to make a new one out of steel, but I haven't decided on a final design for it yet. I want it to be easy to use, yet more inconspicuous than the douchebag orange thing (yes, I hate the original priming handle that much). The magazines also work just like any other longshot. The fit is a bit tight, but it still works the same.

#43 Blacksunshine

Blacksunshine

• Members
  • 948 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 11:33 PM

Holy Fkin crap! That is amazingly great! Your work really paid off. Really took the concept of what FA brought us to the next level.
Forgive my spelling and grammar. I post from my cell phone a lot. Sometimes when I'm on the can at work.

#44 Lion

Lion

• Members
  • 244 posts

Posted 31 October 2008 - 11:59 PM

This really makes want to go work on my 3rd one with the larger chainsaw.
Simply amazing.

#45 Connor

Connor

• Members
  • 159 posts

Posted 01 November 2008 - 08:50 AM

This is like way better then fa24s lancer!!!!! :D
Great job!!!! :lol:

Connor
Opinions are like Assholes, Everyone has one.

F_A 24 is the KING of nerf.

#46 slowguitarman

slowguitarman

• Members
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 06:30 PM

Thanks a lot to everyone again. Anywho...

@Lion: You should put the LEDs on any more that you make. It just isn't the same without them.

I am going to try my best to make a video on tuesday or wednesday. I am also going to try to get some clearer pics of the paint.

#47 nerfnut23

nerfnut23

• Members
  • 239 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 12:06 AM

When I saw this, I somehow managed to get a Dr. Pepper can launched across the office. Don't ask how, I don't know what happened.

I quote myself: "HOLY SHIT!!!!!!!!" ( About the can thing, and the Lancer)

What bolt have you chosen? And to say it again: HOLY SHIT!!!!!!!! Nice. To quote Rork: "As for the inevitable comparisons with Angel's I would say that the difference is mainly one of degree; Angel's longshot is a Lancer, while your Lancer happens to also be a Longshot."

If I had to choose between yours and FA_24's, I would shoot myself, it's an impossible choice to make. Yours is more true to the pic, but his is less likely to get you shot. :lol:

Edited by nerfnut23, 04 November 2008 - 12:10 AM.

American society: A legitimate clusterfuck since 1965.

#48 slowguitarman

slowguitarman

• Members
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 04:02 PM

When I saw this, I somehow managed to get a Dr. Pepper can launched across the office. Don't ask how, I don't know what happened.

I quote myself: "HOLY SHIT!!!!!!!!" ( About the can thing, and the Lancer)

What bolt have you chosen? And to say it again: HOLY SHIT!!!!!!!! Nice. To quote Rork: "As for the inevitable comparisons with Angel's I would say that the difference is mainly one of degree; Angel's longshot is a Lancer, while your Lancer happens to also be a Longshot."

If I had to choose between yours and FA_24's, I would shoot myself, it's an impossible choice to make. Yours is more true to the pic, but his is less likely to get you shot. :)

You have gained kudos from me for drinking Dr. Pepper and finding a way to launch said Dr. Pepper haha. Anyway...I think I am going to weld a piece of threaded rod to a steel fender washer, stick the rod through the bolt sled, put on another fender washer (not welded on) and then secure it in place with a threaded coupler. I will then probably swap the BBB/ls spring combo out for an ls/#49 spring combo. the coupler will then be plasti-dipped to make it more friendly to the hands. If that doesn't work, I will figure out something else, but that's my choice for now. Thanks, by the way.

Edited by slowguitarman, 04 November 2008 - 04:03 PM.

#49 Magic

Magic

Formerly NerfOnFier

• DO NOT TRADE
  • 540 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 08:43 AM

Okay, just to start this off. I was given permission by slowguitarman to comment on this, because me owning the original lancer, he wants to see my opinion. I will admit it reminds me more of the original, but an original is always that. The gears symbol light is completely incredible. It's a hard decision to say which I would like better, because of the fact that I actually own FA's, I like it more. My opinion may have changed if I had yours in my possession. My overall view on yours is a 10/10. My overall view on FA's is a 10/10. Your's may have more specific details, but it will never be the original. Great job SGM.

#50 BustaNinja

BustaNinja

• Members
  • 1,916 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 11:10 PM

Okay, just to start this off. I was given permission by slowguitarman to comment on this, because me owning the original lancer, he wants to see my opinion. I will admit it reminds me more of the original, but an original is always that. The gears symbol light is completely incredible. It's a hard decision to say which I would like better, because of the fact that I actually own FA's, I like it more. My opinion may have changed if I had yours in my possession. My overall view on yours is a 10/10. My overall view on FA's is a 10/10. Your's may have more specific details, but it will never be the original. Great job SGM.

Im trying to recall, were you on your month leave during this thread or not?
Just wondering, as technically, this is a necro. Just a wonderin is all.
Me: Yeah. he beat a hooker
Venom: Haven't we all?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users