My Ertl Rapid Fire Shotgun

Improvements on bottom

12 replies to this topic

#1 Watari

Watari

• Members
  • 213 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 10:07 PM

O.K. first of all NO! this isn't my other write up...i'm stupid enough to post my first write up here for the sake of it...it's COMPLETELY DIFFERENT. I've seen the "doomsayer" twice now, 1 is Forsaken angel's, and 1 is Assasin NF's, both of them inspired me to get off my lazy butt, get my "already modified" ERTL Rapid Fire shotgun, and IMPROVE IT. So here we go!
Oh and here's a few pro's and con's compared to my other write-up:
Pro's (CPVC removable):
Different reload method
Easier reload
Multiple ammo types
Accurate
Con's (CPVC removable):
lower velocity
~70'
Pro's (my CPVC'd "doomsayer" crappy gun):
Higher velocity
Higher accuracy (although needs better darts)
More effecient
Higher ranges (assumed)
Con's (my CPVC'd "doomsayer" crappy gun):
Can only take micro's (but who uses megas anyway?)
Harder/slower reload time (RoF)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MATERIALS
-12, 6 or 8 inch rods of CPVC
-Screwdriver/Drill
-Dremel
-Hot glue gun
-Hot glue sticks
-Silicone Lube (recommended)
-E-tape
-Another spring (optional)
-Hacksaw
-File (for cleanliness' sake)
-UNKNOWN drill bit sizes
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
By the way, here's my other mod
So I can't really tell which is better...but here we go:

Step 1:
Cut the orange part off:

Step 2:
Open it up:

Step 3:
Optional: Add LS spring (or any other):
Posted Image
Step 4:
From FA_24's write-up...Hot glue the bottom plunger head, then add e-tape
Don't forget to add lube to the plunger tube and the plunger head
Posted Image
Step 5:
Unscrew Turret:

Step 6:
Drill/Dremel/File/"X-acto knife" the bottom of the turret to fit the CPVC pipe:
(I had the drill bit, but it was too big for my drill...so I used my hands
Posted Image
Step 7:
Put the turret back together
Step 8:
Sand the rings down: (I didn't have a dremel, so I used sandpaper/drillbit combo...)
Posted Image
Step 9:
Put the CPVC in: (make sure you take out the original turret part, seen in the last photo)
Posted Image
Step 10:
Hot glue the CPVC into the turret:
Posted Image
Step 11:
Hot glue the turret, for a better seal:
Posted Image
Step 12:
Cut the shell
Posted Image
Step 13:
Drill/Dremel Holes in the back:
Posted Image
Step 14:
Close'r back up!: (I removed the rotation mech, 'cause I don't have the tools to make it rotate)
Posted Image
So there, I officially have my own "doomsayer" although I still believe it isn't worthy to be called that...
('cause it doesn't have "decor" in the middle...hehehe)

EDIT, Ranges:
Ok, first of all, I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT'S WRONG WITH THE GUN, O.k. this is a horrible range test, you can see that from the results. I usually show my finished product to my parents and yesterday, my dad was complaining that I couldn't rotate the barrel easily. Today, I decided to fix that, so TOMORROW I will try my best to get accurate ranges.
The problem was:
1.) My darts suck
2.) The barrel wasn't alligned right with the plunger, therefore causing shots to suck
3.) The seal not being good enough, I opened it and fixed that, will post pictures soon.
(From least to greatest)
-36'
-41'
-56'
-59'
-66'
-72'
Average: 55'
WORSE THAN MY PREVIOUS MODEL
But i'll blame it on my darts, which are crappy, over-expanded pieces of poop...except for that one dart that was pushed into the CPVC and got 72'...I was pretty surprised when that fired, then they all started being stupid and not going far...oh well, life is full of risks, and I decided to take one.
I only shot 6 because everyone was staring at me (like adults and little kids) when I was doing this...so there...I'm going to go and cut my wrists now and be depressed for the rest of my life for this failure...(no i'm just kidding, I wouldn't really do that...)

Edited by Watari, 20 November 2008 - 06:35 PM.

#2 silentsnipe

silentsnipe

• Members
  • 377 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 10:11 PM

Good, easy mod. Nice write-up.I'm going to do this soon. Question: Where did you find the gun?

Edited by silentsnipe, 23 October 2008 - 10:13 PM.

And it's absolutely rated R for the violence. Also boobies. And pee pees.

Talio.

Join TheNerfFreaks.forumotion.com TODAY!

#3 Echnalaid

Echnalaid

• Members
  • 981 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 10:12 PM

Intriguing. You make the Doomsayer seem easier than I thought, and not look like a project banished by the gods and taxed to the Forsaken One to complete. I will try this with petg!

Edited by Echnalaid, 23 October 2008 - 10:19 PM.

There was something on the bottom of the ad that said erotyka. Sounds like something spicy -Renegademilitia15

#4 Lynx

Lynx

• Members
  • 983 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 10:13 PM

Good timing. You (silentsnipe) need to go over the CoC. Good catch though.

Almost fail...

Edited by Lynx, 23 October 2008 - 10:17 PM.

Columbus' original crazy asshole now comes with:

AWESOME NITEFINDER

#5 Watari

Watari

• Members
  • 213 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 10:15 PM

Good, easy mod. Nice write-up.I'm going to do this soon. Question: Where did you find the gun?

Bass Pro Shops, Sorry I didn't mention it here, it's on my "other" write-up

Intriguing. You make the Doomsayer seem easier than I thought, and not look like a project banished my the gods and taxed to the Forsaken One to complete. I will try this with petg!

Like the original Doomsayer?...it's a never ending cycle!

Edited by Watari, 24 October 2008 - 08:01 PM.

#6 Echnalaid

Echnalaid

• Members
  • 981 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 10:16 PM

So there, I officially have my own "doomsayer" although I still believe it isn't worthy to be called that...
('cause it doesn't have "decor" in the middle...hehehe)

Well, since Halloween's around the corner, stop by the costume shop, buy a skull, and adorn your weapon!
EDIT- better yet, get them for cheap after Halloween.

Edited by Echnalaid, 23 October 2008 - 10:17 PM.

There was something on the bottom of the ad that said erotyka. Sounds like something spicy -Renegademilitia15

#7 AssassinNF

AssassinNF

• Members
  • 904 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 10:43 PM

Nice mod. I'm glad my write-up gave you the proper kick in the pants to finish it :lol:

Have you done anything to improve the turret to plunger tube seal?

Probably dead by now, or something.

#8 Watari

Watari

• Members
  • 213 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 10:46 PM

In my previous mod, I didn't mention it but I did do FA's hotglue/turret thingy that "improved" the seal, now on this gun, I couldn't do that because it was pretty late already and I had to eat/shower/sleep/post this, so yeah, I might actually do yours because yours is easier and requires "no gluing".

WOAH, EDIT:
My 123'd post...woohoo?

Edited by Watari, 23 October 2008 - 10:59 PM.

#9 Forsaken angel24

Forsaken angel24

• Contributors
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 01:02 AM

So what you just manually rotate turret and pray that it stays in place?
Good attempt but I cannot see this modification ending well.
Better luck next time.
I don't get my kicks out of you,
I don't feel the way I used to do.
I know its bad,
After what we had,
But I’m just not the angel you knew.

#10 Bomberman

Bomberman

• Members
  • 730 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 12:51 PM

Well, the write-up isn't bad, but the modification itself seems a bit shaky, I mean, you manually rotate this? That's gonna just kill the rotation mech, right? (I have'nt done a mod in a few months)
And do you rear load this, or front load it? I think you would get much better results with another barrel material, like PETG, or brass. (That much brass would be a pain in the wallet though)
QUOTE(silentsnipe) View Post

It's not like that. I put lube on it and its the same. Its just stuck. And when I cock it back it goes farther back then usual. Also I push as hard as I can and it wont go back in. I've tried the methods and they wont work. Also pics are up.

#11 Guest_fadinglight4_*

Guest_fadinglight4_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 October 2008 - 02:22 PM

Nice job. One of my barrel materials is CPVC so this would work very well for me.

#12 Watari

Watari

• Members
  • 213 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 04:47 PM

O.K. I haven't range tested it yet, 'cause it's in pieces and i'm trying to improve the ability for it to rotate.

So what you just manually rotate turret and pray that it stays in place?
Good attempt but I cannot see this modification ending well.
Better luck next time.

Well I did decide to put back the rotation mechanism so that it stays in place, I had thought of that problem in the morning. Plus, it's the same gun, soo...the other gun still had to be turned manually, it's good enough for me, besides, I just worked with what I had :lol:. You could also re-enforce the rotation mech like Assasin NF did.

Well, the write-up isn't bad, but the modification itself seems a bit shaky, I mean, you manually rotate this? That's gonna just kill the rotation mech, right? (I have'nt done a mod in a few months)
And do you rear load this, or front load it? I think you would get much better results with another barrel material, like PETG, or brass. (That much brass would be a pain in the wallet though)

Well Forsaken did his with PETG, so it's been done. Brass is a pain in the wallet, I did consider it though, but I didn't have anything to nest it in and at ~ $2-3/foot uhh 12 feet? or 6 ft is $12-24. SCH 80 pvc has been done (AssasinNF). I've seen marker barrels, but it wasn't a write-up, so that left CPVC.

Edited by Watari, 24 October 2008 - 10:17 PM.

#13 Watari

Watari

• Members
  • 213 posts

Posted 24 October 2008 - 10:12 PM

Ok, I was noticing a few problems making my ERTL Rapid Fire shotgun unworthy to become a primary, or a practical nerf war weapon.
1.) The hot glue was getting in the way of being able to manually turn the turret, I needed 2 hands to turn the turret, which was the main reason I re-opened it.
2.) After gluing the CPVC barrels in, they came apart when I tried to turn the turret.
3.) The seal sucked
4.) Loading time

So here's my improvements:
MATERIALS
-Hot glue gun
-Hot glue sticks
-X-acto knife
-Drill (optional)
-Screwdriver
-Unknown drill bit (optional)
-NF/TTG o-ring

Step 1:
Open the gun up...again
Step 2:
Remove all those CPVC barrels and trim the glue off.
Sorry, no pic
Step 3:
Trim the turret:
Posted Image
Step 4:
When putting back the CPVC barrels, (kind of hard to explain) right before you slip
them back in, glue it. Then push it in with a screwdriver so your hand doesn't get
burnt then remove the excess glue.
Posted Image
Step 5:
Take the plunger tube, the front part comes off...
Posted Image
Posted Image
Step 6: (optional)
Ok, no more pictures but this is pretty easy, I was having a little fuss about the reload
time, I drilled the holes in the wrong area so I drilled more on the other side of the gun.
I also attached a file to my drill and started making the holes bigger so I could actually
use them.
Step 7:
Close'r back up!

Sorry for no range comparisons, but it should help, I got the NF O-ring idea from
AssasinNF...ironicly enough. Well, I'll range test it tomorrow because I effed up
today's range test, and besides, it's 8:12 right now so I can't test it.

EDIT:
O.K. I just wanted to tell you that the drill bit(s) I used for the main write-up are different. 1 drill bit (one with me using my hands) was so that the CPVC could fit into the turret. The other drill bit (which I actually used the drill) fit my FBR perfectly.
Oh and sorry for the bad pics.

Edited by Watari, 24 October 2008 - 10:20 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users