PETG tightening rings

9 replies to this topic

#1 sputnik

sputnik

• Members
  • 911 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 01:42 PM

New question.

1) Has anyone come up with a way to implement the effect of tightening rings on brass for PETG?
Short of a dart stop obviously.

My only idea was to make four 1 inch cuts at the end of the PETG and wrap that section in e-tape to slightly narrow the diameter.

Ok, I've been here about a year, and I've been modding for much longer.
Hopefully I've answered a few questions over that time, and now it's me asking for help.

2) My first Gen. Nitefinder is shooting high. I have replaced the barrel, my stefans fit, and the barrel is straight.
Any ideas on how to fix it?

And yes I searched. This is what I found.
Link.

3) On the Longshot plunger head, one of the o-rings is slightly larger than the other. This makes the seal great, but does it have a negative effect on range?

No search result for that whatsoever.

4) Lastly, on the BnA, has anyone added a trigger?

No results for that either.

Any help/advice/slaps upside the head would be greatlt appreciated.
thanks.

Edited by sputnik, 30 October 2008 - 02:04 PM.

tcambre on IRC.

<3

#2 Split

Split

• Members
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 01:57 PM

Can't speak about the NF, but the seal on the LS plunger positively affects range as long as you have it well lubricated.

Langley had started work on a trigger for the BnA but never finished it, and I'm almost finished mine. I'll post it up when it's done, but it doesn't need a writeup.
Teehee.

#3 NerfMonkey

NerfMonkey

• Members
  • 1,821 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 05:09 PM

One more possible explanation for why your gun's shooting high is because when the plunger head slams into the end of the plunger tube the sudden shift in weight from the back to the front of the gun could cause it to kick upward. That's probably not the problem considering you chopped off the cocking handle though. If you make sure to hold it absolutely steady when shooting it and it still shoots upward it could be a problem with your darts or barrel. Bob's suggestion about the PETG is definitely possible, it really makes more of a difference than you'd think. If that's the case you'll have to stick a Dremel in there with a deburring head and clear out any little irregularities you can find in the end of the barrel.

As for the plunger head seal, Splitlip is right. It will help the range as long as it doesn't start slowing down from the increased contact with the inside of the plunger tube.

Finally, adding a trigger to a bow would be cool but probably not practical considering how massive the plunger is. The recoil would be crazy and the accuracy would suffer, which is one of the main complaints with a B'nA without a trigger. I don't really think adding a trigger would help that problem but it might make it easier to keep the gun primed until you're ready to fire it.

Edited by NerfMonkey, 23 October 2008 - 05:09 PM.

SexD Warves

#4 TantumBull

TantumBull

• Moderators
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 05:36 PM

My NF does the exact same thing. Upon closer inspection, I found that the the force of the plunger impact will kick up the barrel, just like NerfMonkey suggested. I personally don't mind it, as when I'm shooting at range I don't have to account for dart drop by aiming high. At really close ranges I just aim a tad low. I'm not entirely sure, but I think putting something on the bottom that is glued do the barrel and the shell will help reduce the barrel kick. I'm basing this on the fact that when I fire holding onto the barrel, it kicks significantly less.

Edited by TantumBull, 23 October 2008 - 05:36 PM.

#5 sputnik

sputnik

• Members
  • 911 posts

Posted 23 October 2008 - 05:50 PM

As far as the NF goes, there are no burrs or anything obstructing the darts.

I sprung for the extra 60 cents and replaced both o-rings for the LS.
Perfect seal, no problems.

As for the BnA, I'm just curious.
How crazy would it look with a trigger?
Lol.
tcambre on IRC.

<3

#6 sputnik

sputnik

• Members
  • 911 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 02:04 PM

Updated first post.

New question.

1) Has anyone come up with a way to implement the effect of tightening rings on brass for PETG?

My only idea was to make four 1 inch cuts at the end of the PETG and wrap that section in e-tape to slightly narrow the diameter.
tcambre on IRC.

<3

#7 Split

Split

• Members
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 02:22 PM

You can do the same rings on the Petg (per Doomsayer writeup), but most people just do a telescoping insert of 17/32" brass at the back, which is what I would recommend.
Teehee.

#8 Draconis

Draconis

I am not Lord Draconical

• Members
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 02:29 PM

Updated first post.

New question.

Actually, have you tried using the same method as with brass? The plastic will stretch and warp just like the brass. It is not as pronounced, and it works better with an older, dull pipe cutter, as it won't cut the tube, just deform it.

Edit: Split beat me to it.

Edited by Draconis, 30 October 2008 - 07:13 PM.

[15:51] <+Noodle> titties
[15:51] <+Rhadamanthys> titties
[15:51] <+jakejagan> titties
[15:51] <+Lucian> boobs
[15:51] <+Gears> titties
[15:51] <@Draconis> Titties.
[15:52] <+Noodle> why is this so hard?

#9 Mod Man

Mod Man

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 02:42 PM

Hey all, As far as constriction rings on petg its pretty easy.
1) I insert a 1/2 dia. brass tube into the petg.
2) Then I heat the end I want to constrict with my heat gun till its soft (10-12 sec. )
3)With a pair of vise grips I grab onto a 5/8 dia. spring hose clamp. Slide this down
to the area I want tightened and release.
4)Let cool and repeat if needed.
This is how I get my petg to fit any size foam. Hope this helps, I would do a write up "How To" but my camera battery is shot. If you have any questions feel free to ask. Later on, Mod

#10 Mr BadWrench

Mr BadWrench

• Members
  • 781 posts

Posted 30 October 2008 - 03:14 PM

2) My first Gen. Nitefinder is shooting high. I have replaced the barrel, my stefans fit, and the barrel is straight.
Any ideas on how to fix it?

Any help/advice/slaps upside the head would be greatlt appreciated.
thanks.

I'm curious about your testing procedure...

How are you aiming? from how far are you shooting and do you have any way of consistently firing multiple shots that hit the same location??

I have experience with real firearms, not so much with nerf but when I have a gun that is shooting High I adjust my sights... Especially if its consistent and accurate otherwise.

I practice Instinctive aiming.

Don
NerfChat IRC Chatroom Click to chat!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users