The L

The easiest springer ever

4 replies to this topic

#1 Foam Shooter

Foam Shooter

• Members
  • 212 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 07:18 PM

The point of this project was to see if 3/4" thin wall would make a good plunger tube. The answer was kinda. This gun isn't quite finished since I need a better spring, better clothespin, a CPVC end cap, a 3/4" PVC 45* elbow, and a better barrel assembly.

Here is the gun so far:
Posted Image

It's probably been thought of and done before but this was just a test of CPVC fittings in 3/4" PVC.

Currently the plunger is a 1/2" dowel hammer into CPVC. On both ends of the CPVC there are coupler. This is the first improvement that I plan to make. I want to replace the dowel with CPVC, the couplers with end caps and get a better O-ring since it is too stiff for a spring gun.
Posted Image

The barrel is straight forward I think:
Posted Image
A 90* elbow, 3/4" thin wall, SCH. 40 1/2" and then 9/16" brass. both the brass and 1/2" are wrapped in electrical tape to improve the seal. I want to replace the 90* elbow with a 45* elbow and find a 3/4"-1/2" bushing to lessen the dead space.

I'm kinda pleased with the gun considering there are a lot more improvements to be made and it's still getting 20'. I am hoping to finish the improvements this weekend and have a new one built from 1" PVC next weekend. The only dilemma is that my basement is being redone and that is where my workshop is. I will try to finish these as soon as possible and post the results. In the mean time some suggestions would be appreciated.

Edited by Foam_Shooter, 24 September 2008 - 07:29 PM.

#2 Soothsayer

Soothsayer

• Members
  • 663 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 07:21 PM

Am I missing something or misreading something or is 20 feet supposed to be worth the materials?

yeah I'm that guy who made that cool thing with the cool paint.

#3 Foam Shooter

Foam Shooter

• Members
  • 212 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 07:30 PM

Am I missing something or misreading something or is 20 feet supposed to be worth the materials?

It's 20 feet with a bad barrel seal, the wrong o-ring, the wrong spring and a couple wrong fittings.

#4 Carbon

Carbon

Contriberator

• Moderators
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 24 September 2008 - 08:40 PM

I tried the same combination a long time ago, and got pretty much the same results....something that was pretty good, with a lot of potential, but never really came together because of parts. I think the max I got out of it was 30'...I hope you can pull more out of it.
Hello. I am Indigo of the Rainbow Clan. You Nerfed my father. Prepare to die.

#5 Foam Shooter

Foam Shooter

• Members
  • 212 posts

Posted 26 September 2008 - 05:54 PM

O.K., I'm about to head to Home Depot to get the parts for the second and third versions. Again version two will be an improved 3/4" version while version three will be a 1" version. I'm planning on making the 3/4" version first and will most likely have it done by the end of this weekend and will hopefully have the 1" done at the same time next weekend.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users